PC with Pod Filter

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by xFalcon, Oct 4, 2009.

1. xFalcon

xFalcon Member

Hey Chaps,
    A mate of mine said I should sign up here and show you all my first case mod. Now, it must be said I am the furtherest you can get from a professional case modder, but hopefully some of you will get a laugh out of this.

I should explain it I guess. It all started one day when I was cleaning a metric crapload of dust out of my case and wondering what I could do to stop it. I've seen the filter papers you can slot in under case fans, but the idea didn't really 'float my boat'. So I looked at my spare used apexi pod filter I thought I'd rig that up instead. Although it had been on my skyline for 20,000km, it has a washable paper filter element and came up looking good as new after I washed it out. I was worried a case fan may not be able to draw enough air through the filter, so to see if it was even viable I dodgied up 2x 80mm case fans with a few case ducting pieces to see what happened.

[​IMG]

To my amazement, it still sucked plenty of air through - I reckon roughly 75% of the usual flow it would have without the filter. It had a very faint suction sound from the filter too. Curiously enough, the screw holes from the case fan also lined up exactly with the bolt holes on the filter. If you bored the holes out a bit you could have bolted it up directly...

Anyway, the two clapped out 80mm fans were not really doing it for me either. So I bought 3x Antec Tri-cool 120mm fans off eBay, plus a 80 to 120mm adapter. The Tri-cools have 3 speed settings and flow 80cfm on max speed, while still being fairly quiet. I bolted two of the fans up to the adapter, and glued the filter to the end of it. I regretted the dodgyness of using glue though, and later attached 4 high powered nickel magnets to the filter, and the other 4 on the inside of the adapter. It holds the filter on there quite strongly and can easily be removed for cleaning.

[​IMG]

Before I started this whole exercise, I had hoped to have the pod filter sitting inside the case where the CD/DVD drives would usually sit, however the filter was far too big and I had to settle with it mounted externally. The idea is the only cool air coming into the case would be coming through the pod - all other fans would be exhausting out. (PSU fan, another 120mm fan at the back of the case, and I mounted my third Antec Tricool infront of the hdd's, blowing hot air out the front of the case)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had 3 automotive toggle switches spare and mounted them on the fourth 5 1/4" bay cover.I wanted these so I could turn on/off both of the fans on the pod, plus the fan blowing air out the front.

Captain dodgy strikes again! To mount the whole setup, I glued 3 of the drive bay faceplates together, and cut out one big hole in the center of it. I broke off all clips except one at each corner, so it could still be clipped back into place.

And this was the end result:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've had this setup running now for about 6 months and it's worked very well! I run a E8500 Core 2 duo with the standard heatsink and fan, and a 295GTX videocard. CPU temp at idle is 40c and under load never goes above 60c. I don't overclock or anything though, and I doubt this setup would be any good for a more hardcore machine. My case has remained dust free, although I've had to wash the filter twice already - it catches a massive amount of dust! It blows a large amount of cool air into the case and quite a lot of warm air is also shot out the front and heats up the floor! While that's been nice in winter, It'll probably grow tiresome in the months ahead :D

Since the photos were taken I needed my DVD burner back - and moved the switches to the 3 1/2 bay cover. The DVD drive is in the top bay and clears the filter no worries.

Comments or laughs below please :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. leighzor

leighzor Member

LOL wtf, does it make a sucking noise like a skyline? i has a skyline too lol

3. Xirod

Xirod Member

haha, very nice integration of automotive parts.
    Going to use an external DVD player I guess?

4. OP
    OP
    xFalcon

xFalcon Member

I've since relocated the switches to the floppy drive bay cover, moved the fan setup down a level and put the drive in the top. It still clears the filter when opening so it worked out well :D

5. brayway

brayway Member

LOl thats awesome, not a bad idea at all!!!

6. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

I would've said that's the lamest shit out BUT given it actually works and you've done it well, mad props :D I like the look of the Apexi pods too.

7. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Why oh why oh why rofl! A+ for being original.

8. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

yeah, my mate with GTR33 RB26DEtt sounds freaken awesome. sounds like a plane taking off!

9. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ricer.. :lol:

That's awesome, heaps original .. I reckon if a pro modder like MNPC tech or the likes got a hold of this they'd be able to mock up an awesome looking rig.

Their Ferrari modded HSF comes to mind, it'd go well with the Pod Filter lol

10. jurasofish

jurasofish Member

OMG! that looks awesome. must've been hard to put together!

11. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Wow very original must be a pain having that thing sticking out the front, well done.

12. OP
    OP
    xFalcon

xFalcon Member

It's not too bad actually. I was worried when I had the pod glued on, as any hits from the side could have snapped the whole assembly off. However now it's held on magnetically so it'll just come off when hit.

Yeah, I reckon a similar mod could be done using an automotive panel filter too. Except by cutting a hole in the side of the case and mounting the filter there. You could then fabricate up some kind of airbox and snorkel arrangement running to the front of the case. That's more complicated though - my effort with the pod was mainly for laughs but I did always guess it'd work fairly well.

I also remember seeing a 120mm case fan that could do 249cfm, I'll buy one of those someday for my setup :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  13. flyingracoon72

flyingracoon72 Member

14. OP
    OP
    xFalcon

xFalcon Member

That's the one mate :D
    I may have to figure out a way to keep my antec's but have the delta on a separate duct. I dunno.

It guess it couldn't be mounted directly behind or infront the antecs, as it'd flog their bearings out from spinning too fast. I'd need to have ducting from the pod which split into two or something....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  15. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Needs a cowling of some sort at the bottom to balance the look of the case. Like a bodykit of sorts. :lol:

Those Apex'i filters are some of the best pod filters you can buy. I got one on my Levin. :)

16. Protius-X

Protius-X Member

Nah they aren't that great apparently. Cheaper ones flow far better.

17. grazhopa

grazhopa Member

do you really want your air filter letting everything flow in?

but i digress...

as a slight variation.... maybe raise the top of the case by a few inches, put an oval filter in there with fans drawing down the middle, mesh around the sides of the height extension..... i guess you could duct it to whatever point you want if you wanted it to flow over your hdds...

18. Protius-X

Protius-X Member

Well I don't know about you but with my car I'm not too worried because if it is actually small enough to get through, then the combustion in the motor itself will likely destroy anything and send it out with the exhaust.

19. OP
    OP
    xFalcon

xFalcon Member

I am more interested in filtration than flow. With case fans I doubt you'd notice the difference in flow between 2 filters. On a car you might :D

I'm gonna order one of those delta fans and have a think about how I can implement it :thumbup:

20. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

By best, I mean best filtering for the highest flow. There are filters that flow more, but I wouldn't exactly call them filters.....

Combustion doesn't kill silica, and that's what kills your motor. Do some research, you'll find that ultimate flow isn't always the best, otherwise flyscreen mesh would be far more common...