PC won't boot after new CPU installation?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by damo2002, Jun 8, 2016.

1. damo2002

damo2002 Member

Hi guys,

Bit of a problem here. I've got an older PC I use sort of as a server, specs are as below:
    • Asus H87I-PLUS
    • Pentium G3220
    • 4GB G.Skill RAM
    Using onboard graphics since I rarely need to actually plug it into a screen.

Picked up a i3 4170 on the cheap, needed a bit of extra grunt for CCTV connected to it etc. Replaced CPU, turned it on, fans all speed up, power light on case turns on - then nothing. Nothing on screen, no 'thinking' light - just nothing.

Reinstalled G3220, booted OK, updated BIOS version to latest (which apparently added support for this CPU), reinstalled 4170 and still nothing. Cleared CMOS using jumper, tried again - same thing. Tried the G3220 again, works fine.

Have also tried removing RAM with no improvement.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is the CPU DOA?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

2. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

You could try taking the MB battery out, disconnect the PSU 240v overnight.

Then try again. Sometimes it will work.

3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Could try a dedicated video card, just to make sure its not the igpu on the i3 thats the issue.

Other than that i think your i3 is dead.

4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

The BIOS must be flashed to at least the version: 2002

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87IPLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/

Core i3-4170 (3.7GHz, 2C, HT, L3:3M, GT2, 54W, rev.C0) ALL 2002

Woops just reread OP and if clearing CMOS also didn't allow booting as others have said try a dedicated Video Card to see if it will boot otherwise DOA sounds likely.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. OP
    OP
    damo2002

damo2002 Member

Ended up taking the motherboard battery out and disconnected the PSU for about 8 hours, swapped the CPU then connected the battery and plugged it back in - same thing.

Also tried swapping the RAM slot just in case - still nothing.

Could still be the igpu, but don't really have another GPU handy to test with, and if it is it's not functioning as it should anyway, so it looks like I'm going to have to send it back under warranty! First time I've experienced a dead/faulty CPU in all these years..

6. MutantDOA

MutantDOA Member

So just to confirm, you are using bios version 2002?

Because if you are and its not booting after clearing CMOS then yes your cpu is dead.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. OP
    OP
    damo2002

damo2002 Member

Absolutely. When it didn't boot initially I realised that might be the problem, swapped back to the old CPU and flashed the latest BIOS - 2002. Still hasn't changed anything at all.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions anyway guys, much appreciated. Always good to have people backing up one's own suspicions!

8. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

The latest is 2003, try that, long shot... also they're suggesting to use the updater utility, but can't imagine that having any effect...

9. OP
    OP
    damo2002

damo2002 Member

Bumping this thread back up because I've now managed to get my hands on an i5 4460 and exactly the same thing happens. Have been through everything all over again numerous times to the same result.

Just to reconfirm as well, it is actually BIOS revision 2003 that is installed, not 2002. Did install 2002 to test, and nothing, and even went back to the initial release which added support for 4th gen 1150 CPUs (1005 I believe it was) which made absolutely no difference.

All I can think of now is that there's something really unusual going on with the motherboard which is allowing the G3220 to work, but nothing else?

Very frustrating! :confused:

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

I am sure.. I have seen something.. similar on the threads here somewhere..

11. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  12. OP
    OP
    damo2002

damo2002 Member

No pins that are visually damaged at all.

4pin ATX is definitely plugged in, think I've checked that one about 10 times now, haha.

CPU also definitely plugged in, have tried both CPU_FAN & CPU_OPT many times.

I tried the update utility over & over, but it wouldn't let me flash using it - kept telling me Intel Management Engine Interface had to be installed - which it was. Figured flashing through BIOS or Windows wouldn't make any difference, but perhaps I was wrong? In any case, it's currently flashing the 2003 BIOS after I (a) uninstalled the latest Intel MEI, and (b) installed version 9.0.0.1323 (which I found on the Lenovo site - seems to be a standard Intel package in any case).

Now to wait and once again install the new CPU to test.. will report back soon.

13. zx_spectrum

zx_spectrum Member

ME firmware and driver update

It is possible to update both the ME driver and the ME firmware. They are separate updates. This tweaktown thread has the latest ME firmware and drivers (scroll down to the 2nd post on page 1):

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyt...system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

It's been a while since I did this, but I think you can use the latest driver, which is:
    Intel® Management Engine Interface Ver. 11.0.11.1193 WHQL

** Make sure to grab the correct '8 series' firmware:
    Intel® Management Engine Interface(ME) 9.0.31.1487 (Firmware) (Intel® 8)

I would update the driver first, reboot, then use the MEInfo tool to verify which driver and firmware you have. The MEInfo tool is included with the firmware download.

After that, update the ME firmware using the included flash.bat. Then reboot and verify again with MEInfo that it has successfully updated. After that your new CPU *should* work. fingers crossed.

14. OP
    OP
    damo2002

damo2002 Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, zx. 11.0.0.1146 was installed, although I did not use the MEInfo tool or flash the MEI firmware. However going back to version 9 did allow me to use the BIOS updating utility from within Windows..

..and somehow that did the trick!

Booted first time after flashing 2003 from within Windows. I have no idea how that can have any baring on the situation when the same version was flashed from within the BIOS itself - but it did.

Thanks O-B-E-L-I-X for finding that info (turns out you were onto something earlier when I first posted about using their flashing utility!), as well as everyone else who offered help/suggestions.

15. zx_spectrum

zx_spectrum Member

Glad it is working.

For anyone interested, there is a reason why the updater tool in windows fixes the problem, but flashing any motherboard using the Asus flashback, DOS flash or Gigabyte's QFlash tool does NOT work:

The bios file you download for intel UEFI systems actually contains a number of separate modules. Most of the flasher tools do *NOT* update the ME bios region, even if the bios file you downloaded contains an updated ME firmware. Why not? It is probably a security issue, but also that the standard method for updating ME firmware requires that the ME driver be loaded first, and that means Windows must be loaded.

It is possible to force a flash of the entire bios file that you downloaded, using a bootable usb stick and intel flash toolkit. It is also very *NOT* recommended, as it will tend to overwrite your GBe MAC, mobo unique serial numbers etc. If you ever needed to do that, then you need to first edit the bios.bin and overwrite the GBe MAC placeholder, and possibly also find and overwrite any serial number placeholders etc.

Just for fun, here is a thread on how to update your ME bios region, using the most difficult method that will likely result in a brick!
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/54860-about-intel-management-engine-firmware.html

Don't do it that way!? LOL. Challenge accepted. (I actually had to do this a couple of years ago for an el-cheapo mobo that had no other update method). We got there, eventually.

16. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Quite disappointing to see the ASUS being a douche bags and Not making it absolutely clear that you Have to update that BIOS via that "upgrade utility"... :rolleyes:

As posted above, it obviously updates some Intel management firmware, without which the new chip is not allowed to boot... even with the latest BIOS.