1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

PC wont turn on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by dragmor, May 1, 2022.

1. dragmor

dragmor Member

I'm looking for some advice or someone to have a look if you are close to 2223.

The PC doesn't turn on i.e. the power button does nothing. Fans do not spin, to me it looks like it doesn't register the button press. Because it doesn't turn on I'm having diagnosing the problem. Most of my PC building is from the Thunderbird and A64 days. Does anyone that is more up to date have some advice?

The PC is this one I picked up from the forums https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...700-z170i-sf450-16gb-ram-noctua-fans.1316775/

When I first got the PC I had to add a graphics card since the motherboard wasn't outputting a signal (maybe bios?) and had to re-seat the ram as the ram warning light came on after I put the graphics card in. Resetting the bios allowed it to boot and then all seemed OK. For a week everything was up and working, kids were playing Minecraft / Roblox, etc. I had also removed the SATA drive as it wasn't needed.

What I can say:
    - The board has power (idle power light is on)
    - The GPU has power (light is on).
    - Shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard doesn't turn the PC on. Its the same as pressing the button i.e. nothing happens. I'm starting to question if I remember how to do this, but its just touching the 2 pins with a screw driver.

I've tried
    - No graphics card, 2 different graphics card (GTX 760 and R7 240).
    - No ram, 1 stick.
    - a different SF450 PSU.
    - re-plugging every cable and connector.

So far everything has the same result. The system doesn't even seem to try and boot.

2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Tried swapping the power cable? Tried something else in that same power point?
    Weird that same symptoms even when changing PSU. Makes me think. Motherboard.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Usually it's related either to psu or motherboard. You've eliminated psu by trying another so unfortunately it's looking like motherboard. I'd pull it down, clean and reconstruct everything and if it's still no good you may need to purchase (or borrow if you can) a cheap motherboard to test.

4. breno

breno Member

unfortunately it sounds like motherboard. According to those specs it should've had some kind of video output when you first got it...

5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Try dif power cable, different power point/power board.

i had a very similar issue with a mates PC, and then tried a different room in the house, and worked fine, turned out to be a circuitry issue in that side of the house.

Doubt it is that, more likely motherboard unfortunately. Take the battery out overnight, unplug the psu cables, leave it overnight, try again.

6. OP
    OP
    dragmor

dragmor Member

So now I've tried, pretty much everything but remounting the CPU and I don't think its that since the noctua is mounted properly and the PC was working before.
    - Different power cable / plugs.
    - Different power circuit / room.
    - Plugging it in where another PC is working.
    - Other PSU and PSU Cables.
    - Removed everything from the case incase something was shorting.
    - Re-seated the M.2
    - Re built the PC.

I don't have other DDR3 to test with, but I don't think RAM would stop the PC from trying to boot.
    I'll pull the battery and disconnect everything tonight, and see how it goes.

Looks like I'm just unlucky.

7. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

Should be DDR4 not DDR3 on a 6700 CPU? Interesting that not even the fans spin. Do any of the VRMs or capacitors look cooked? Can be harder to spot on newer boards.

8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

You're thinking of Core 2 Duo series. Disregard. Read it wrong.

OP, since you got the PC from a sale from these very forums, reach out to the seller for any advice on their experience with.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  9. Elmf

Elmf Member

No, he's not.. The i7 6700 uses DDR4.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'll retract. I read it wrong.

Elmf likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    dragmor

dragmor Member

You are correct it should be DDR4. I said DDR3 without double checking.
    Nothing on the board looks cooked, no magic smoke and no unusual smells.

tsuko has been good and responsive. He said there was an issue where reboot didn't work but shutdown did. But a bios update at the start of the year fixed it. He also said he had no issue with the onboard video and was using that. Like I said it was working after a few minor issues at the start, then this.

I dropped the PC off at Szemen's place the other night since he has some spare components to test with. His comment so far is

12. Groff

Groff Member

Try out of the case.
    I've seen internal USB cables and standoffs in the wrong spot prevent booting up.

13. OP
    OP
    dragmor

dragmor Member

Thanks, but I tried that when I took everything out of the case.

14. Groff

Groff Member

Everything does point to mobo.

15. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

It could be the physical button on the case has internally broken\spring has fallen out. This happened to me on my last socket AM3 build, used an ancient case and the power button broke. I fixed it buy buying an external power+reset buttons with wiring from fleabay. Another option is using one of those remote control kits, similar to a key fob/remote for a car.

16. Elmf

Elmf Member

Except he tried shorting pins on the mobo already

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  17. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Oops, long day I failed to read that part, thanks Elmf :weirdo:

Elmf likes this.
  18. Elmf

Elmf Member

I nearly missed it too :lol:

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  19. Current

Current Member

Back of the motherboard, the little brass risers from the case. Perhaps one of them is in the wrong spot or an extra one is there and it shorting the motherboard to ground not letting anything boot up ?

20. tek_01

tek_01 Member

Replace the BIOS battery if there is one. 2032 is usually the size but had a quick look and cant see one in the pics on google.
    Clear CMOS, usually by shorting pins on somewhere on the board.

Build outside the case as others have mentioned, just psu/motherboard/cpu and 1 stick of ram. Connect 24pin and CPU power only, Plug monitor into onboard hdmi port
    Make sure you are shorting the correct pins to turn on.
    If that fails, remove cooler and check for bent cpu pins (doubt it but easy to check)

So far it points to bad motherboard unfortunately