1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED PCE-AC68 wont pick up my 5GHZ network, but picks up others

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by sharmanat0r, Jul 8, 2018.

1. sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

Hey :)

Modem/Router: TPG HUAWEI HG659
    Wifi Adapter Card: Asus PCE-AC68 WiFi adapter

My desktop is currently running off the 2.4 GHZ network broadcasted by my router which is also broadcasting on 5GHZ. Every other device in my apartment picks up my 5GHZ network:
    - TV, PS4, mobiles, laptops...just not my desktop

But my desktop does pick up a load of other peoples 5GHZ networks which is drivin me crazy!

From router settings, I am able to change the 2.4 Channel from Auto,1-11.
    But the 5 Channel is set to Auto and there is no dropdown. I can see that has selected channel 116.

Both devices were bought in Australia, so I dont think its a region thing? Router does say Region=Australia, not sure if this is checkable on the adapter, though the fact that I can see other 5GHZ networks around makes it look alright?

Any ideas would be appreciated? :)

Cheers

NOTE:
    - not a range issue, every mobile device can pick up the 5GHZ network from where my PC is, and this thing has a 3 pronged aerial too
    - latest Asus drivers installed (Broadcom 7.35.351.0)

My machine specs are:
    - Asus Z170-AR
    - i5 6600k
    - 16GB DDR4 ram
    - Asus PCE-AC68 WiFi adapter
    - W10 Pro

2. im late

im late Member

Not joking here, do a clean OS install like you did in your other thread and see how you go.

3. im late

im late Member

Also check if there is newer firmware avaliable for both your router and wifi card.

4. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

Lol it's an issue iv had for a year and there have been a few clean installs througout that!
    I think it's somethin to do with the adapter not bein able to pick up the frequency/channel the router is pushing 5ghz on (116)...?

Cheers I'll look into the firmware on the card but the router doesn't seem to have much info on it and no option in its control panel, there's some talk about a superuser login for it :/ think it's not a great TPG supplied one

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  5. im late

im late Member

If OS install install is too impractical, grave a spare HDD or SSD, unplug all your drives in your system, and clean OS install to the spare drive, then see how you go.

6. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

I have done 2 OS reinstalls in the year year iv had the card and the issue has existed throughout, and this last one was on a brand new drive. Still happening sadly. I literally just reinstalled fresh on a new drive this weekend

7. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

There are threads on other forums with this issue on this card but no solutions that I can find :(

8. im late

im late Member

After a whole year I would have already tried another 5ghz wifi adaptor..

9. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

Haha thought about it but na it's only an issue now as the 2.4 is so cluttered in my apartment block that my speeds have been impacted ! And I hate not knowing what the issue is don't want to go and buy something else just yet.

10. power

power Member

Is your router dual band capable? Disable 2.4ghz and see if that helps. Not all routers do both.

11. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

Hey mate, yes it's broadcasting on both 2.4 and 5. All my devices in my home are currently connected to the 5. Just not my desktop pc it's n the 2.4 so this seems capable of running both I think?

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I've got a PCE-AC68. And had issues when it ran on DFS channels. Not your common/popular 5GHz ones that most use in Australia. Your best bet is to try another region (if it actually does anything) with the drivers, but if there was any way to change the channel on the TPG router for 5GHz would be ideal. I use non-Asus drivers at the moment (Broadcom based) which may help. Shoot me a PM later tonight and I'll see if i can sort out a copy (it may help).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    sharmanat0r likes this.
  13. power

power Member

fair enough, not sure on yours i have an ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 router and a PCE-AC68 and yeah 5GHz is easy as.

sharmanat0r likes this.
  14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Here is the driver i've been using with much better stability than the ASUS gear. Uninstall the ASUS stuff, and give this one a try: https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...tory&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=2266&lang=en

Not sure if it will change the situation with channels, but i at least got correct speeds without any tweaks.

sharmanat0r likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

Hey DiGiTaL MoNkEY I was just about to reply lol I actually managed to find a Netgear D7000 on the cheap to try out and that has had 0 issue whatsoever.
    Thanks for sharing the driver and had I not gotten this modemrouter so cheap I would have tried that tonight! Ill try that out at the weekend when iv a bit more time and see how it goes :) thanks folks!

16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Nice the D7000 is a solid unit. At least you'll be able to change what you need to get it working.

17. OP
    OP
    sharmanat0r

sharmanat0r Member

it just worked out of the box, quick setup, 2.4 an 5 rocking out, my AC68 sees the 5! It must be something with the AC68 not being able to see channel 116 I think....and the shi*y Huawei router not allowing you to change the channel for 5GHZ network sucked

power likes this.