1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

PCI-E Extenders

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SpaceFrog, Jul 24, 2020.

1. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Hi Guys, getting bored and trying to think of crazy projects.
    Would like to get an NVME drive in my main rig. There are no M2 Slots, only an MSATA. There are 2 PCI-E x16 slots that are next to each other, and if you see in the photo the spare slot is covered by an RTX 2060 fan shroud.

can anyone recommend me a suitable X4 extender that would allow it to plug into the spare slot, and route the cable around the graphics card to allow enough room for a PCI-E X4 -> M2 adapter

Ideally the extender contacts would be hard 90 degrees, it seems the contacts are nowhere near flush and will hit the fan shroud. I could probably remove the shroud or cut it, but would prefer not to

Does anyone know If I can set an NVME as boot drive on an 79R chipset?
    [​IMG]

2. Samicans

Samicans Member

MattyCC83 likes this.
  3. MattyCC83

MattyCC83 Member

Any more pics of this machine? sweet little SFF rig by the looks

4. Renza

Renza Member

You can inject the nvme module into EFI, I did it on my z77 board and can boot natively from my Samsung 970 evo plus.

alternatively, if you get a Samsung 950 Pro, they have an option ROM so you can boot from that with CSM on any board

OP if you need a modded bios, happy to lend a hand

edit: looks like a shuttle system?

5. OP
    OP
    SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Yep it's a Shuttle SX79R5. Interesting to know about the 950 PRO.

Not sure If I want to mess with the BIOS, I've had a few issues with the machine not starting up. Often happens if I lose power while in standby. Unless someone has a custom bios that increases stability then I'll leave it alone.