PCI SATA Controller Card Hangs at Boot

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by The Wiz, Jan 10, 2010.

1. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I've got a InnoVision 2 Port PCI SATA Controller Card (http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products/sata_pci_host.htm) connected to my Asus P5KPL-AM/PS mobo in my server which I am having some issues with and am all out of ideas and things to try to get it working.

Running Server 2008 (which probably doesn't matter that much). Trying to have 2 x 1tb WD Green HDD's working on the card. I am not trying to run them in RAID.

The Card uses a Sil3512 Chip with BIOS version 4.3.47 and from what I can tell is not flashable.

1. Boot PC with no HDD's attached to the card and the PC boots fine and recognises the SATA Card is there and there are no HDD's attached then boots into Windows. It displays the boot screen before proceeding to load Windows:

Sil 3512A SATARaid BIOS 4.3.47
    Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

2. Boot PC with HDD/'s attached to the card and it recognises the SATA card is there and there are drive/'s attached. It displays:

Sil 3512A SATARaid BIOS 4.3.47
    Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

0 <drive model> (blinking cursor)

It just stays on that screen with the blinking cursor and goes no further. Usually it should display the size of the drive after the model number and then proceed the boot process.

3. If I boot up with no drives attached and then once I'm in Windows, attach the drives, they are recognised by Windows and from what I can tell function fine.

Troubleshooting:
    - Windows driver is installed fine and the card shows up in Device manager with no issues.
    - Updated my mobo to the latest BIOS to see if that helps and the same issue.
    - Set the jumpers on one of the WD drives on pins 5-6 to enable SATA 150 Mode and booted with only that drive attached to the card and same issue.
    - As I said before it appears as though this card is not flashable so I haven't been able to update the BIOS as the utility just says no card is detected.

I am beginning to think that the issue may lie in the size of the HDD's. Back when I bought the card (I think a year ago or something) I am pretty sure I did boot an old P3 PC with an 80GB HDD attached to the card but I had issues with other IDE HDD's attached to the mobo that were on the way out. I bought the card for this old P3 machine so I could put a SATA HDD in it but to cut a long story short ended up buying a new low end PC for my server and haven't required the card until now as I am out of mobo SATA ports. So this is really the first time I have tried to use the card in this PC.

The Sil3512 chip appears to be used in a lot of these PCI/PCIe cards but searching for the same issue I am having on the net hasn't turned up any results. It seems most of the issues are with Windows drivers etc. I can't find anyone who has had boot issues with the cards.

So does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try? or what might be the cause of this?

Any help is really appreciated as I was racking my brain all last night and this morning trying to get it working.

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

the problem is bios incompatibilities/memory space with the motherboards devices.. if you can, reflash teh card with one without a boot bios/raid bios, otherwise, time for a new card.

3. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Thanks or the reply, but not the response I was hoping for... :(

I'm pretty sure the card is not flashable which sux. Would there be any mobo BIOS settings that could be changed that might work?

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

sil based cards are pretty much all generic, as yours seems to have a raid bios it means the flash eprom is onboard which means you cna reflash it from dos to a no raod, no boot, which doesnt not have anyything appear at all during boot so it saves precious boot time and memory space.

5. OP
    OP
    The Wiz

The Wiz Member

Ok, that sounds a bit more promising. I was trying the flashing from command prompt in Windows last night with no drives attached. I'll whack the programs on a DVD and see if I can get it working in DOS.