Peanut Butter Cookies

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Huggy_Bear64, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I love choc-chip cookies, and I love peanut butter, so I figured I'd combine the two.
    So I found a decent looking choc-chip cookie recipe and proceeded to modify it to suit (the site lets you modify the ingredient amounts for different serving sizes, I set it to 25).

This is half of the dough made from the recipe, as I took the pictures out of order with the recipe. The only modifications were about 1/4 cup less sugar and half the amount of chocolate chips (damn American recipes :rolleyes: )

Click to view full size!

Next I laid out the cookies like in the recipe and proceeded to poke holes in the middle.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

So now we need the filling. With wet hands I rolled about 12 balls of peanut butter (I used crunchy). If you're smarter than I am, you'll roll your balls a few hours in advance and let them get hard in the fridge. :lol:

Click to view full size!

Peanut butter is actually pretty dry on its own, so I also made some chocolate ganache (melted chocolate whisked with some cream) and rolled the balls in it. Make sure you make the ganache pretty fresh, because it still ends up getting pretty hard when it cools (maybe I needed more cream :Paranoid:)

Click to view full size!

Then we just pop the balls in the holes and form the cookies around the filling.

Click to view full size!

Then you just put them in the oven according to the recipe (my recipe said 15-17 minutes but they actually took about 20). Just make sure you space them out better than I did.

Click to view full size!

Now just wait for them to cool and dig in!

Click to view full size!

A few notes on the recipe:
    -Make sure you cool your balls for a few hours, they're really hard to work with at room temp. :tired:
    -Probably make your balls a bit smaller than I did, they didn't really stay inside the cookies when I baked them. :(
    -I only made half of my cookies with peanut butter, the other half were just plain choc-chip cookies for those weird people who don't like peanut butter. :Paranoid:
    -These taste amazing but they're mostly butter and sugar, so pace yourself! :lol:

2. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Awesome. I can feel my arteries clogging already. :thumbup:

I was just chatting to the GF the other day about how I don't do much baking...
    First candidate right here.

I reckon the Woolies "American Style" peanut butter would go great in these.

3. OP
    OP
    Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Holy crap I didn't even realise my thread had a reply :Paranoid::lol:

Yeah I don't really bake much either, but these are super easy (apart from getting peanut butter all over your hands :Paranoid:).

Honestly I prefer proper peanut butter, the kind with bits in, but if you were using weird 'Merican PB you may not even need the ganache, that shit is packed with sugar and should stay relatively moist.

4. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Instead of rolling the peanut butter why not just mix it in with the other ingredients to save time?

5. OP
    OP
    Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

As an addict of Reese's peanut butter cups, I'm a huge fan of things with big chunks of peanut butter in the middle. I can't imagine the peanut butter would taste quite the same with your method, but this might take some experimentation. Next time I make these I'll do a few like this and post results :thumbup:

6. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Ah, see where you're coming from. Yes hubby likes them as well, we get a big bag from Costco that he likes to keep in the fridge.

7. AERO

AERO Member

f you and the hose you rode in on!!!, im on a vegetable only diet for the next few weeks to shed some 30kg i would like too. and now i see this...

maybe if i reach my target 10kg lost i might reward myself with some of these or something, 4kg down thus far :)

8. OP
    OP
    Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Whoops, only just saw this. 'Grats on the weight loss, I'm trying to drop some pounds myself lately. Maybe check out my other recipe for some tasy, low fat curry (just maybe don't add it to hot dogs :Paranoid::lol:).
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1142877