Pebble time smartwatch

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by yoink, Mar 10, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    yoink

yoink Member

Cool, what color did you get?

2. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

Just plain old black, but I plan on wearing it all the time in a reasonably physical job.

I have also ordered some metallic black gadgetwraps - they seem like a great company and actively involved on r/pebble on reddit.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

Long term pebble user (have an original, and a steel that's my regular daily watch - great for work), waiting on my (kickstarter) Time Steel. They are supposed to ship 'soon'.

4. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

5. OP
    OP
    yoink

yoink Member

If only the bezel wasn't so damn big. I like the thickness, but the bezel makes it look positively old - the same problem exists on the PTS, but at least they made the background black, as to blend in with the rest of the screen.

WOAH, hold the phone: BATTERY LIFE UP TO 2 DAYS

What the hell? They've sacrificed battery life for aesthetics - that must be how they got it so thin.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    yoink

yoink Member

Note: You get $50 off the price of the round, if you backed a PTS on kickstarter.

7. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

Ewww... 2 days battery life, I missed that bit. Yes, the bezel is huge. The best looking shot is the black on black face

8. OP
    OP
    yoink

yoink Member

So obviously they're trying to compete with the new moto-360, LG, Samsung, etc, etc... Any the slimness is a win, but the design of the face is a fail, as is the battery life now - they have essentially:
    1. Removed the main feature that set it apart: the long battery life - this is made worse by a dull screen.
    2. Made it uglier than the competition - sure it's slimmer, but that bezel kills the aesthetics, and the screen is very dull compared to an LCD based screen.

I think it will be hard to look past these issues...

9. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

RIP Pebble :(
    I think I discovered why they said the watch is waterproof but the standard band isn't [emoji38]
    The leather seemed to withstand a splash every often, but whatever was holding the flap around the pins has come undone and my watch just fell off my wrist. Time to go band shopping, but I'm also tempted to pick up a Time Round while I can

10. OP
    OP
    yoink

yoink Member

I'll be interested in seeing what FitBit come up with - if they can make a thin watch that has 1 week battery with an always on screen, and uses Pebble apps, it might be pretty good.