Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

You'll have to give us a build quality opinion please mate - I like the look of this!

2. CZA

CZA Member

Sorry, rather image heavy post coming up!

So the Sharbo LT3 body arrived, with a few of the Zebra emulsion ink refills.

In an unassuming box.

[​IMG]

Which held within a slightly more assuming box.

[​IMG]

And inside, a pen.

[​IMG]

A better look. It really is a good looking pen!

[​IMG]

(Excuse the handwriting, the last few months have forced me to write in a very fast but illegible scrawl)

But the refills are rather expensive. The black emulsion ink is smooth, but not very dark. The blue is just perfect. I wish I'd gotten more than a single blue refill in the shipment!

[​IMG]

And this is why. Look at the size compared to the more standard ballpoint sized refill next to it!

[​IMG]

The pen looks and feels great though. It actually reminds me a little of those thin cigarettes marketed toward women, rather elegant (and this one won't kill you either).

Worth the 77 USD delivered for body + blue refill + 3 black refills + pencil?

Perhaps if the exchange rate was a bit better. :lol:

But it's a little late for that, all I can do is enjoy it now!

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

What's $77 in the scheme of things? If it's something you enjoy using - especially if it would otherwise be a mundane task, that's all the value you need.

4. CZA

CZA Member

It's about $100 AUD at the moment :lol:

Indeed, it's less than I spent on my Faber Castell fountain pen which doesn't get anywhere near as much use as this will.

I just wish I'd gotten more ink refills at the time, I can tell these are not going to last long at all!

5. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Thanks mate for one of the better reviews I have seen in a very long time.

6. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

Not that serious into pens but i do love to have decent writing tools. I bought a Parker fountain pen a couple of years ago for $100 on sale but i barely use it at home.

I use a couple of cheaper metal cased parkers at my desk at work, one black and one blue, i think they were about $20-30 each.

Right now i'm on the search for a really nice ballpoint for every day writing at the office.

I was looking at something like this. I work in the stone industry so the 12-sided shape and marble look got me.
    http://www.pengallery.com/omas-arte-italiana-cruise-black-high-tech-trim-ballpoint-pen/

or even blue

http://www.pengallery.com/omas-arte-italiana-cruise-blue-high-tech-trim-ballpoint-pen/

However having no experience with this pen, or brand, hard to buy something without seeing one in person.
    I have big hands so usually these bigger pens seem to sit nicely and also i love soft smooth writing pens.

Can anybody suggest other nice ballpoint pens they have used or own? Ideally i'd like to spend about $100 or so. The Omas is expensive but is quite nice aesthetically.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

With ball point pens, find one you like style and feel of. If it doesn't write nice, you can change the ink assuming you get one which uses a common brand refill.

I prefer gel-ink ball points, easy enough to get in say Parker style refills. Not so easy for my Mont Blanc. They don't make gel ink (at least not anywhere I can find them to buy), but a third party (Monte Verde) does, so I'm using them.

8. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Best I personally like are the County Comm pens - built like a frigging tank. I have 3 of them and love them, the stainless steel one is bloody heavy but I call it the "behave" pen, if people annoy you, you can hit them with it (not that I ever have).

9. pelmen

pelmen Member

+1 to parker gel inks. My old favourite pen was a slimline parker stainless which i'd found... and realised later why i'd found it when it had worn a hole in my shirt pocket and slipped itself down and out. i still have it, but rarely use it. My pilot vanishing points are the best thing i've ever written with.

two suggestions though, when you say to use at the office are you meaning it stays permanently on your desk or do you pop it in your pocket? Worth considering looking at sturdy clips that are easy to secure to your pocket without tearing/breaking. if it needs to clip onto a work clipboard or notebook consider that too: the pen you choose should be easy to secure where/when you need, difficult to lose. Parker clips i find are easy to loosen at the base.

other suggestion, go to your preferred local stationary supplier and buy a selection of ballpoint refills that are "standard stock"; ie you can depend on being able to pickup refills any time. play around writing with the refills on the paper you usually write on and see if you like a particular shade of blue or black, test smudge resistance, does the ink maintain a reliable line with your writing speed, does it bleed horribly into the paper, etc. if you find a refill you enjoy then look at the pens that can use it to find a pen style you like and feels good to hold. A beautiful expensive pen with clumpy ink won't be a pleasure to use.

10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My Rotring collection has grown a little since this thread started! So much so that I have just ordered a larger pen holding case :D

All still Rotring Fountain pens and the collection is still growing with a couple more on their way to me now :p

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

You have an obsession! Not that there is anything wrong with that of course lol.

12. muv

muv Member

I'm after a ballpoint pen that has a lot of weight to it.

I don't write very often, but when I do I like the pen to be rather heavy.

I have a Parker at the moment which is OK, but just wondering if there is something out there with a bit more weight. And that isn't too expensive (sub $80 or so).

Anyone know of something? I love the look of the Cross ATX chrome pen, but I think I held one in a shop somewhere and it was quite light.

13. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Google a fair bit, one of the heaviest is the County Comm but hard to get. Maybe check tactical pens on eBay?

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thread bump :)

I'm in the market for a metal mechanical pencil. Anything that anyone recommends?
    It's for an EDC, so something that's minimal in length is ideal. Oh, and it needs an eraser ;)

*EDIT* Or a clutch pencil with built in sharpener would also work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

ANy of you gents able to assist?

16. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

No experience with any partularly short style mech pencils unfortunately. But in the regular size, I used to love the staedtler Mars range. I think they have an all metal one. Also heard good things about rotring pencils and pretty sure they are metal.

Though my pick would be the lamy 2k pencil... I have the lamy 2k fountain pen and its constriction is bulletproof =D though it's made of polycarbonate not metal.

17. money_killer

money_killer Member

[​IMG]

Loving my new ag7 space pen just wish the fine tip was a bit finer but it is a ballpoint I guess

18. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

This is my favourite all round pen. I can't fault it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  19. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Iv'e been lurking for a while, thought i'd better post

Bought these two earlier this year

Click to view full size!

Fisher AG7 Space pen & Lamy Pico

Hero 616 (Parker 51 Knock off @ $4.70!) arrived today (no pics)

And my baby is on the way

Click to view full size!

Marble Flame Parker Sonnet, isn't she gorgeous!

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Looking to get a Lamy safari or the metal version, and/or a fisher space pen (bullet?) in copper.

Best places to source these from online or instore (e.g., cheapest)?

Good alternatives to these? Lamy seem great for a 'first' fountain pen. Fisher space pens just look cool to me...

Last edited: May 9, 2017