Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

I picked up the Lamy Pico from a Sydney ebay store, the space pen from an American ebay store. There's a bricks-n-mortar store in Sydney that has some bargains occasionally, PM me for details.

:thumbup:

2. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Marble Flame Parker Sonnet looks lovely!

3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Thanks Akh :thumbup:

Delivered today, I took her outside in the (rare) Melbourne sunshine
    and I swear she glows!

Cheers

(I must stop giving possessions a gender...)

Now to ink-up :)

4. pelmen

pelmen Member

ebay, i get all my pens via ebay. Just check carefully if the listing specifies a nib or if you have to tell them in the order. For a Lamy I'd go with a medium nib, which I would call a fine and it produces a nice legible line on any paper (I use noodlers inks in my safaris and they work ok). oh yeah make sure it comes with a converter so you can fill it with inks yourself unless you really want cartridges (I dont see the point, buy a gel point pen instead, fountain pens should be for filling yourself). I wouldn't recommend the fine nibs, the lines are extremely fine and ink flow can be a problem if you go with what random cheap ink you can lay your hands on.

Space pens? meh. overrated. yes it can write upside down but so can everything else at least long enough in practice, I have never wanted to write text while upside down. Plus the ink balls gum up on me and have never been able to write nicely on any paper without smearing or glugging up.

5. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Thanks - medium nib it is. What are your thoughts on al-star vs safari? Might just go with the 'plastic' one first and see how it goes. The metal al-star sounds like it's thicker which could be annoying.

Good point on space pens. I just like them because they look really cool and I like the association with space. Is there an alternative that you'd suggest?

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Space pens are able to write at 121 degrees celcius. What else could we use when all hell opens up? Mine blobs around twice a week with daily use.

And Lamy Picos rock!

7. pelmen

pelmen Member

Maybe the space pens are much improved writing instruments these days, mine is at least 15yrs old. I dont know if there are alternatives to suggest. I'm sure the Chinese have their own version which will either be heaps better or heaps worse. :)

Al-star vs safari? I dont have an AlStar (got 2000s and a bunch of Studios, which are very good) but I have other cheap "metal" pens and they don't feel like a true metal pen as they are a thin metal casing over plastic. I'd guess the Al-star might be the same and feel light instead of weighty in the hand. The safari feels light and very easy to hold, the clip is good. As an everyday pen a safari I think is a good choice. Its not expensive and you dont worry about getting scratches or dings on it. So go for whatever design you like really, i dont think it really matters they use the same nibs and converters.
    Cleanup is easy in the sink just winding the converter in/out leaving it in the out position ready to suck up new ink and padding dry with tissues. A simple wash is mostly all I do since I have several pens for different inks i like, but if you are changing ink colours/types you should wash more thoroughly so you dont contaminate your ink bottles. I take the converter out and pump it in water first and run water through the nib portion to get rid of the majority of ink, then pop all the parts into an ultrasonic bath with warm water and little dishwashing liquid (maybe leave it to soak overnight before running ultrasonic if its an old pen with dry/clogged ink).

Its an adventure :) A Lamy Safari with medium nib will work nicely as an everyday pen. If you can pick one up with the converter and a bottle of lamy ink you will be set for a long long time.

For anyone not knowing, a fountain pen converter is actually an empty ink cartridge with a mechanism (pump/screw) for sucking up ink from a bottle and just plugs into the back of the nib assembly like a cartridge. This means you can use and colour and brand of ink in your pen, so when the ink runs out you can quickly refill it, whereas trying to buy new cartridges as they run out is a pain at times.

Then you can explore ink brands and colours and find what you like. Flow rate will depend on nib size and how you write. For my everday pen I have settled on a specific ink so I have a bottle at work and another at home so as soon as it starts running dry I can refill it quickly. So convenient.

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I'm still a big fan of space pens. I just buy the refills to suit my favourite barrel. I work in a GMP environment where numbers, signatures, etc have to be done in a single stroke. Any corrections need to be crossed out, dated, initialed, and re-written. So it's a bit of a pain when I grab the nearest disposable and it's half empty. I can always count on my Fisher being primed ready to write.

9. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Well, I guess alternatives that look pretty similar to the fisher bullet and feel quite robust. Don't necessarily need to write upside down or in crazy conditions.

EDIT: Also speaking of 'cheap' metal pens, space pens wouldn't be described that way would they?

Also when I say alternative to space pens, I'll clarify further and say I'd like a decent metal ballpoint that's very solid and a bit weighty.... like the space pen or like a really awesome version of the parker jotter but not cheap etc.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Just picked up some Rhodia writing pads. A little expensive, but the Parker absolutely glides over it.

Also just inked-up the Jinhao 800 ($11) and scribbled some crap on the Rhodia paper, and it's not bad. A bit draggy, but that's not bad considering the price.

My handwriting looks almost legible!

:p

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

The pads are now filled with pages of "stream of consciousness" crap, just to practice.

Then I discovered IAMPETH.

Now I cower from the light. Those guys & girls are really good. Hate those calligraphers, copperplaters etc :lol:

My collection has gone up by;

Lamy Safari FP

Jinhao x450

The Jinhao is remarkable, for its' price.

I realise I've brought the tone of this thread down by my bleating about cheap pens, but I can't justify some of the prices I've seen: Parker 51 for $2,700 USD? Really...

Cheers ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Same as for watches - I cringe when I see what some people pay for one of those. Oh and you have not brought down the tone one bit.

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

Blergh, my old marking fountain pen (Pilot Kakuno) exploded today, looks like i murdered someone. So another Lamy Safari has been added to the ranks.

But my more common pens are Kaweko AlSports, and a couple of customs. Should take a photo sometime.

14. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Feel free to post the pictures bud :)

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

My 'Holy Grail' arrived today

(Damn! OCAU Pix is not playing by the rules ATM)

A 60's Parker 51, black, silver lustralloy cap, F nib.

Jinhao Pewter Dragon Fountain pen, completely over the top, 130+
    grams, could be used as a weapon.

:thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I WANT A PICTURE!!!!!!

17. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

And a Kaweco Classic Sport (with clip and leather case)

Click to view full size!

It seems a bit stuttery, but I'll persist.

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  19. Walshy

Walshy Member

Oh, dear god... I just googled IAMPETH, and was suitably awestruck when I watched one of their videos. Amazing penmanship, makes my calligraphic doodles look *very* amateurish... :Paranoid:

20. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Fester I have pen envy - they are lovely pens!

EDIT - those pens are not horrendously expensive - I think I see some purchases coming up in the near future!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017