Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Not a pen guy, but im a county comm fan. Most of there stuff is great; and love my tiny peanut lighter.

2. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Their pens are indestructible - I have three varieties and love them all.....

3. pelmen

pelmen Member

Definitely not what I’m after. Been usng them for ages, love the travellers notepad platform and got one in my pocket at all times with a Lamy 2000. I use other midori as research notebooks and cataloguing various collections I have. Really nice with a fine fountain nib and permanent black ink I find.

I’ll try a tomoe river pad but think its too thin for what i want for this item especially if i fold and wax seal it.

4. chi

chi Member

For how good TR is, it's so fragile and delicate that I honestly can't find a use for it outside of home.

Yeah, what your describing is pretty much laid paper, check out the 2 papers I mentioned, they have a few different colours for whatever fancies you and also different textures to suit your style of writing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. pelmen

pelmen Member

I ordered a bunch of papers from Goulet to play with. Thanks for the info guys.

Definitely something wrong with me though, looked at pens to add to my order for my collection and just couldn't be bothered so just the paper. Just no pens excited me, even those on my wishlist I could have bought I just couldn't be bothered :(

6. chi

chi Member

Finally got a Centennial, look at that nib! Man I need to find another one before GST kicks in. (Next to a no. 5 nib)
    nib shot.jpg

7. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

8. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

One person needs to be hubmaster - what about you Uncle Fester? You are central and in Melbourne??

9. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

10. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Right then, signed up to the Melbourne one, we'll see...

Then this turned up;

Click to view full size!

Much happiness... I think this may be older than me...

Click to view full size!

EF nib, much line variation.

I wish my handwriting was up to this pen... :Pirate::)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. pelmen

pelmen Member

I want you to write out 100 lines of swirly thing after school.

Looks very thick for an EF.

Expecting new pen this week. Another for my Pelikan-free collection :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  12. pelmen

pelmen Member

IMG_3744.JPG IMG_3746.JPG

New pen arrived. Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Extra Fine. Lava pen is easier to remember.Very interesting pen, but you'd heard it all before in every review of it. Except, as a rock and mineral collector this pen is not basaltic lava. Its nowhere near dense/heavy enough and doesnt feel like basalt. Its also somewhat plasticy and must be crushed lava mixed with resin. If you have a good fast writing style you'll love how it writes, but if your slow and careful you'll find it too wet, if you're a scribbler like me you'll just recognise how unworthy you are to write with it.

See above pic showing how it writes compared to what I had already close at hand. Next to other pens it definitely looks large (which I hate) but on its own and in the hand its just right size. Its a deceiver; it seems smaller than it is, is lighter than it should be and warm to the touch instead of cold. Its hard to put down, just a pleasant item to hold, just seems to encourge being touched. You'll end up with metallic smelling fingers afterwards so dont rub your eyes.
    Its now my second favourite pen after the Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Matte Black Medium (my daily writer), and will live on my computer desk somewhere under piles of stuff and will be interesting to see it age.

Case is large faux leather. nice but no drawer like earlier models and no instruction manual. The warranty card says to go to the website to learn how to fill the pen and even then its a generic instruction for their two filler types so you are expected to already know which your pen is. Pretty disappointing so into the box with my other empty cases it goes. Damn thing doesnt even stay open on its own so not much use to use it as a pen home on the desk. Feels like buying a Ferrari and finding a Made in China sticker on every part of it. Not a good brand impression for me.

Its money I couldnt afford to spend but my pen addiction was starved and this has been my main wish pen (apart from Namiki Maki-e) for such a long time. No I cant justify buyng it nor say it was worth every cent. It writes super smooth and is awesome to write with or just hold. I do like the look but sure many will see it as ugly. I do prefer very fine writing but haven't found and good pens with extra fine nibs that write smooth and consistent until this one. But because of its wetness if you pause or change speed on absorbant paper you'll notice the line thickness spreading. I think this is a pen that will reward a real writer, someone with a good confident style already not a crippled loser like me.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  13. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

It is, nib tines are out of whack. I have yet to choose the time of the duel, but this nib and I are going to have it out.

From my studies; ink flow/wetness, then nib alignment, then nib smoothing
    Although I don't think this nib will require smoothing, and the ink flow is nicely wet.
    The little feller was born some time time between 1954 - 1964, I can't narrow it down any further.

And a fine job on obtaining an Homo Sapiens, very nice pen, I believe.

And just a 'heads up', I heard Pilot is ditching Vanishing Point Raiden pens, time to buy...

Cheers:)

14. pelmen

pelmen Member

Aww crap, thats on my wishlist too. I thought the Vanishing Point range was vanishing to be replaced by the Decimo? cheaper version anyway?

Just wondering about Extra Fine point nibs, I have a bunch now and not one I would consider an extra fine point line on the page. Is it just my ham fisted writing style? When I scribble fast with my homo sapiens it puts down a very very thin solid line which I'd expect from an EF nib. My Lamy EFs just cant do the same, they scratch on the page without putting down ink. So am I correct in thinking the homo sapiens is only of use to someone with a good writing style? Or maybe EF is only for nibmeisters who can tune ink flow rate to match their writing speed?

I'm using the HS every day and as my work pen for the time being, still loving it but doesnt make my writing any more legible. thinking of matching a sepia or copper ink to it's bronze age. is that a step too far?

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Never! Just do it, and then write 100 lines of swirly thing after school, with the sheening inks! :lol:

I have to give Goulet Pens a boost;

I've lusted after a Stipula Passaporto for ages, and when Goulet emailed me that they had some, I ordered immediately. As usual their shipping was great, and when the pen arrived I checked it; cap seems to be a bit stiff.
    I cleaned the threads; no better. Under the magnifying glass the threads were stripped. Quick email, several incoming emails, and I'm store-credited for the pen and 75% of the freight cost!
    There were other thing in the order, and Goulet didn't require me to return the pen. How's that for customer service!

On another note, I tried nib alignment on my Pelikan 140, and mostly succeeded, the nib writes much more finely. If my phone would agree with my PC, there would be pics... :leet:

16. pelmen

pelmen Member

Good news Fester, Goulet do focus on good customer service. My only complaint after buying the homo sapiens from them was I thought it deserved two tootsie pops in the package instead of one :) Glad you improved the pelikan too.

17. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

18. pelmen

pelmen Member

19. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

So after the Passaporto mess, I went looking for some cheap satisfaction;

Click to view full size!

And I found it. Moonman Wancai, fine nib, Robert Oster Syrah ink.
    Nicely made, writes well for a stainless nib; my writing, not so much...

$15 or $16:50 after the GST kicked in

Cheers :)

Edit: used the little feller at work today, the nib surprises me, rather nice!

Recommended pen :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  20. pelmen

pelmen Member

Unky, how's it filled? eyedropper? doesnt look like plunger but looks like a ton of empty space in there. How embarassing to be unable to tell how a transparent pen is filled :(