Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Eyedropper, that bit on the right after the threads is the cap. Comes in a nice little white box, from which the seller decided to remove the 4 cartridges that are supposed to come with it.
    Tried to fit a Jinhao short cartridge, but no luck. CBF trying others.

I liked it so much I ordered an M2; big brother to the Wancai and rather attractive.

Heard a rumour that the nib on the M2 is a little finessed after they're made... meh, we'll see

And "Unky"? Please Pellers, a little decorum :lol:

Cheers:thumbup:

2. samus

samus Member

3. chi

chi Member

If you like your fine nibs, the M2 would be perfect for you: huge ink capacity (as with most eyedroppers) and a nice smooth nib for something that fine, plus it's nicely polished with no seams on the pen except for the section.

(Next to a Targa) (dunno why but it keeps getting rotated when i attach it)
    [​IMG]

(Next to a Centennial Duofold)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Akh-Horus likes this.
  4. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Impossible Dream??

A5
    Wire bound (twin rings, not a spiral)
    Dot grid
    Low-weight, but 'nice' paper.
    96+ pages

Basically, a wire-bound version of this, in A5.
    Or alternatively, a 'nicer paper' version of this with a dot grid.
    I've tried searching a bunch of brands/site, but not having much joy!

As an aside, I've becomes quite addicted to the utility of the Pilot Hi-Tec Coleto pens. Found productivity bliss with a 0.3mm black, 0.4mm red, green and blue. Great for meeting minutes, marking up small notes on plans, etc.
    Only issue is the ink supply is pretty small, so I'm smashing through the refills. (On the upside, it means that the nip/tip is never THAT old either).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Samus, that Chic Sparrow cover is very nice, but is the design made to look over-stuffed? And I can tell by the price that your wife loves you very much!:) My equivalent is a Travelers notebook passport size, handy-dandy and fits in the pocket.
    I concur on the Conklin, I have one just like it, beautiful pen but the nib on mine needs work...

Chi, thanks for your info, it re-assures me that my Google/EBay fu is not bad.

Andres, good luck with that, best I could find was graph, per your specifications

Cheers

6. samus

samus Member

Andres, yeah best i could find was squared in double-ring. Though I will suggest you try a Leuchtturm, they are stiched, not glue bound in some models. Also, have you tried a G2 in 0.3? thats probably my go to gel pen when im not using the Conklin.

UF, nah, it's the photo, mine is not quite like that, and is also the previous design that wasn't as expensive. After a while the leather goes really soft and pliable. they are designed to have 4+ notebooks in them, and they don't sit right if they arn't full.

7. pelmen

pelmen Member

Andres, Maruman Mnemosyne N195 A5 Notebook is what I use at home. Not dot grid but should tick your boxes otherwise. Nice to write on (its what I decided to use for my "ink book" where I have my standard writing tests and index for my inks. I also use for some other "reference" purposes keeping important notes on my various hobbies.
    At the office I have a black hardcover Spirax 511 notebook. Average paper lined but well bound, solid and lays flat. Think I got from newsagent and pretty good for officework type product.

I have to agree with dear Unky Wunky on Leuchtturms, I grabbed a bullet journal pack once and the paper is great, and the bullet journal method very handy for effective note taking.

Samus the chic sparrow looks good, let us know how it settles into your life! I use the similar Midori passport system and love it though I could use a simple solution to open it flast since I only have one working hand to use. I made the mistake of backing Bull & Stash on kickstarter first. Avoid it at all costs. Last I looked they refused to sell paper refills which are custom outside of USA. While the binding is indeed solid and leather nice, the paper is good but its binding method especially when its assembled means you need a lump hammer if you want to sit it flat, it just cant and will always bulge/round an inch or more which intrudes considerably on the writing page (forget double sided writing). I'm slowly using up mine around the home for random scribblings. The Midori is great though, comfy in pants pocket. Slight letdown with side pen clip gets easily pushed around or off the Midori and the leather loop stretches allowing my Lamy 2000 to slip out in my pocket or when taking it out to use at times. But otherwise it's held up very well as a system for daily pocketing long term. I was afraid the string holding the notebooks inside and the elastic to hold it closed whould quickly fray and break but no sign yet. The notepads stay snugly inside the leather cover so dont get damaged at the corners either. Ink has remained clean and legible and paper easy to write on even though its in my pants pocket at all times, a warm and humid environment for it. Difficult for me to forget its there when undressing so little risk of it going through the wash. With a few extra pocket inserts in mine too for emergency cash etc I havent lost anything out of it. For a simple flimsy looking design its held up very well. I hope your Sparrow performs similarly for you!

8. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Weird that this is such a unique desire? I would think dot grid lends itself to semi techincal but also 'free' writing and sketching. Surely that goes hand-in-hand with the lay-flat ability of a wire/ring bound.

Hmmm,

Have been using a promotional pad (Daikin) that is graph paper and wirebound for a certain set of notes (business related) and then a small A6? Moleskin with dot grid. Wish I could combine the two.

May have to settle for a glue/bound A5 dot notebook.

Will try the G2 in 0.3, but I'm actually pretty stoked with the Hi-Tec setup. Now have three 4xInk Coletos that work very well in a utility sense. Just smashing through the ink.
    The uni Jetstream inks are pretty nice for a ballpoint as an alternative too. Probably nicer for writing 'prose', but the HiTec Gel is nicer for 'technical' notes and sketches.

9. pelmen

pelmen Member

I totally agree. I think its a new trend the dot grids, but yes it makes perfect sense and I think superior to lined paper. Makes straight writing easier as well as margins and indentations. Plus you can freehand underlines and vertical margins better without needing a ruler as well as perfect for illustrations. I think we'll be seeing more dot options from manufacturers in the future and hopefully for schools too as its so good for handrwriting skills.

10. chi

chi Member

There's going to be a pen show on tomorrow in Sydney, anyone on here going?

11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Anyone watching the new series of Orange Is the New Black? There's a couple of shout outs to the Palomino Blackwings pencils lol

*EDIT* Yes I realise this is a pen thread, but eh.

12. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

*crickets*

Nice one Nano, but the closest I go is an Uni Kuru Toga mechanical pencil. The lead rotates as you lift and drop the pencil on the page...

Pelikan Hub Melbourne, on the other hand, is at;

WHEN?
    Friday, September 21st, 6:30pm

WHERE?
    Galleria Shopping Plaza - 1st floor - BUT….
    Enter via Bookbinders Design shop (co-hubmaster and all-around sweet stationer!)
    348 Little Collins Street, Melbourne.

WHO?
    Well YOU obviously! But you can bring friends, family and anyone interested in fountain pens, ink, paper and more (but only you will receive the special Pelikan Goodies).

WHAT TO BRING?
    • You (again)
    • Pen(s) …[ if you don’t have a Pelikan Pen, don’t fret; we accept pens of all persuasions]
    • Paper
    • Ink
    • preparedness to have fun; and a good sense of humour.

Please excuse the copy/paste from my email, but all my "get up and go, got up and went..."

Nicholas Gold is the Hub Master, and to be clear; if your not registered, you get no loot. But still very welcome :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

*still crickets*

Scored an appropriate case for my Parker 51, black leather on the outside.

Click to view full size!

Also, my Pelikan fanboy stint has been killed. Apparently I have to attend a public viewing of a certain AFL match on the same night...

14. pelmen

pelmen Member

Interesting case, bit overkill design using zipper. especially for a mere Parker. Been off pens recently, but trying to find an ink i like for my homosapiens. Waiting on arrival of a copper ink that might be to my liking, but its given me an excuse to get some brown inks I dont have yet. Since I've been badly sick the past two weeks, the sepia's yellow/brown is not something I want to see flowing from the homo sapiens... or maybe i'm being too picky.

15. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

I have managed to destroy every decent pen I own. Lid clips bending out, barrels getting squashed or just losing the damn cap (after it's gotten loose in my pocket).

I know I don't treat my stuff great, but I'm always on the move and I need an industrial strength fountain pen for a daily driver. I can't keep it on my desk at work as theft is a problem (I have had 2 lids stolen by vindictive pricks)

Something about the thickness of a ballpoint. I loved my Lamy studio and safari, but it's getting expensive replacing them every 2 months. Anyone got any ideas?

16. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Noone has any ideas?

17. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Schrade? Tactical fountain pen. Meant for close-combat (as are all things "tactical") :wired:

Best I could find for something rugged. Available from Ebay AU

Cheers :)

ps I never thought I would find a fountain pen that can be used hand-to-hand...

Pelman! Mere Parker? The '51 was my first grail pen, and here you diss it?
    I challenge you to Schrades at 10 paces! Harrumph!

(Nice to hear you're well again :thumbup:)

Second cheers :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. pelmen

pelmen Member

sorry wrote a reply the other day but guess it didnt get posted.

short version, look at a pilot vanishing point. no cap to lose, metal body, matte black stealth version has brass under the paint so as it wears/scratches it gets an interesting patina (think i posted a photo of mine earlier in this thread). Mine gets plenty of pen abuse and I keep it clipped to my shirt collar so its always on me. I'd look into a pen holding lanyard again so pen is always on you making harder to lose, capless fountain pens are rare, Lamy Dialog I havent tried yet and pilot have also decimo (?) range same as vanishing point range.

19. pelmen

pelmen Member

Sorry Fester, I used to like Parker pens, but went sour on them :(

20. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Hey guys I appriciate the options!

Tossing up between the pilot or getting a leather pocket carrying case. Decisions decisions :)