Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Pelmen has the better suggestion I think

Ebay was a better option for me; $119 delivered vs $246 at bricks & mortar... :rolleyes:

Make sure you are comfy with the placement of the clip, some people have trouble with it

Cheers :)

2. pelmen

pelmen Member

I should add with the vanishing points, I have three and the medium nib is just sublime for me, super smooth and wettish flow so you can scribble at any speed and you get a good line. The fine nibs are very different in comparison, for scribbling you get a drier broken line. So if you are a slow and careful writer the fine nib is probably the one to get. If you need to get stuff down on paper ASAP and don't mind a bit of ink bleed on cheap paper at times the medium nib is the one. As Fester says the clip placement is odd but its easy to get used to and between thumb and forefinger the nib is in the correct angle for writing, so again its a feature that gets you writing reliably in a hurry. My stealth is the medium nib and I find it writes on absolutely anything, first time, every time. I dont use permanent inks, sticking to Iroshizuki, so while it writes on glass and plastic and skin (my hand is a ready postit note) my ink can be smudged. The clip and end of mine has popped off and spot of epoxy fixed that for me and it didnt effect the nib/nib cover mechanism. Also Pilot supposedly will refinish the body of some vanishing points if you ask them, my metallic green and blue pens get a bit of rough treatment at home but still look nice and shiny so those models hold up. My stealth is half gloss and half matte/worn now. The nib end the paint has absorbed oil from my skin and worn itself to a deeper glossy black. the other end is more worn and chipped from wear and tear. They designed it to be black paint over brass to wear like and old Leica camera does with use and it really does, adds much character to the pen. I wear t shirts to the office and its always clipped to my neck, the clip is as firm and confident as it always was, it hasn't bent itself which is great. I really can't fault it, its my favourite pen by miles even at the price it was when I got it. Was meant to be an everyday writer for me and far exceeded my expectations and not a design that demands you treat it with kid gloves. Its a pen. It writes. Nuff said.

3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

International Fountain Pen Day!, you slack mofos...

I took my very much valued Wing Sung 3003s :lol: (of which I intended to destroy, to learn nib-grinding, ($1.75 delivered each)) to work. I managed to give two of them away, to people I deemed worthy/dumb enough. I included Parker Quink blue-black, and a short verbal essay on maintenance, and where to buy fountain pen ink, and what not to use as ink.

My job is done

:p Cheers

And I bought this from Rickshawbags:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. pelmen

pelmen Member

Hope you listened to Zappa's Thing Fish, the only album with a fountain pen in its lyrics I know of (but wont repeat them here for decorums sake.)

Liking the Inktapus, I might get one just for the name(to go with my Turbo Squid account).

I can't be bothered wasting my time with the neanderthals at work, let them scratch with charcoal.

5. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

One pen is clean...

Attached Files:

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Anyone here EDC a "tactical" pen?
    I currently have one of these (linky), I think, it's a clicky top, anyways..
    I'm finding it a bit slippery when my hands are perfectly clean.

I like the clicky top, but could go with a twisty action. I don't want a cap.
    I like the matte finish.
    I work in a GMP environment, so I need a reliable ink, so I'm quite fond of the Fisher space refills.

What are my options?

7. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

NanoDuke, maybe a Fisher Clutch spacepen?

They look reasonably tough, and use a knock to reveal the ballpoint. (I couldn't bring myself to call it a nib :p:lol:)

They're having a Black Friday sale ATM... and they make "tactical" pens for police etc too

NanoDuke likes this.
  8. karn1911

karn1911 Member

Have been getting into FPs as of late. Loving the low-end Chinese stuff so far (Moonman M2, WS601.)
    Anyone have some F/EF pens they're looking to get rid of? Wouldn't mind trying a few different pens (I'll buy them off you.)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Anyone able to assist ^^^?

Otherwise eBay or google-fu time perhaps, there are a number of dedicated forums for pens.

10. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Alright, I'll cave. I'll send you a Wing Sung 3003 for free
    PM me your postal address :thumbup:

Just so you know; 0.38mm EF nib, comes with converter, NFI what cartridge it takes :)

As for the rest of my pens: "from my cold dead hands..."

Cheers

11. karn1911

karn1911 Member

Wow, that's very kind of you!
    I'll make sure to pass the deed on.

Eyedroppered a Pilot Petit today and did some scribbling. :)

Click to view full size!

12. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I have one of these - not bad kit - and cheap!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  13. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Just a heads-up

JustWrite is selling Diplomat Aeros for $150 on closeout

Very nice steel nibbed pen, I have one, recommended :thumbup:

I wish mine cost $150... :upset:

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Picked up a Pilot Prera M nib on impulse at Orifice Works today. Supposed to come with a converter and a cartridge but when I opened the package the cartridge was open and mostly empty but somehow hadn't leaked into the packaging until I touched it lol.

Loaded it up with some Iroshizuku Shin-kai and it writes reallllly nice! The Pilot M seems equivalent to my Lamy Vista F.

Are there any local nib correctors in Aus? I have a Lamy 2000 that just sits here because I cannot stand how the nib writes but I haven't done anything with it because the only guy I've heard anything about is Michael Masuyama in the US...

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Try pensmith.com.au

:)

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks very much - I'll take a look :)

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

New pen and ink day!

APC_0002-hdr.jpg

Metropolitan White Tiger. Fuyu-gaki orange ink that seems awesome so far.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  18. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Anyone have experience with Monteverde pens? Discovered the Invincia and pretty sure I want one.

19. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

I've not heard very much good about the brand. Speculation varies on where they're sourced (Euro/China) but assembled in the USA
    I don't own one. Is it the look or the price that interests you?

TWSBI has some very nice pens in the same price range, Moonman has some @ 1/4 the price - beautiful steel nibs!

If it's looks and quality: save your money, not much beats Visconti Homo Sapiens, ask Pelmen! (or see previous posts)

Cheers :)

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

I use their refills in my Mont Blanc. primarily because Mont Blanc don't seem to do gel ink refills, and monteverde do.

No complaints on their ink.