Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It’s specifically for their Polaris and Nebula finishes.
    They’re pretty unique.

I ordered both last night anyway. I am not expecting a huge amount but as long as they’re decent writers I’ll be happy. I mean surely they’ll be as good as a Pilot Prera or Lamy Vista both of which I enjoy as every day writers and don’t need to worry about hurting unlike my Lamy 2000 lol

Had quite a few positive reports from Fountain Pens Oceania faceballs group too though.

2. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Review required (please) :) And the Lamy 2000, been one of my grail pens...

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Will be happy too. They're on a slow boat from Goulet pens but I'll be posting pics and impressions when they arrive.

Ah yes... I bought my Lamy 2000 back in about 2012 and hated it from the moment I first inked it. The thing is beautiful and feels wonderful in the hand. But from the day I got mine I hated the way it wrote. Not only did it have such a stupidly narrow sweet spot but it hard started and often starved mid stroke when writing slowly let alone trying to do some kind of flourishy thing.

So I cleaned it out and threw it in a draw for a few years. Tried it again. Still disliked it so cleaned and tossed back in the drawer. Last few months I kinda got back into FP's again in a decent way. So I thought I might try sending it to someone to work out what is wrong with the nib. I ended up sending to a guy in NSW called Max Schumacher and he pulled it apart. Said there was ever so slight misalignment of the tines which he corrected as well as a thorough clean. He actually asked if I'd bought it second hand as it looked like a vintage pen inside... So either I cleaned it reaalllly poorly when I laid it up those times or it came filled with crud and I never stood a chance of liking it.

So anyway - now it writes quite nicely actually. I'm still learning to enjoy it though as whenever I'm writing with it I'm anxious that it's just a moment away from being so very disappointing again. I think with time I'll forget how it was and really begin to appreciate it. I also need to learn to write without rotating the thing off the sweet spot - that part hasn't changed!

4. pelmen

pelmen Member

Glad your 2000 has improved for you. Many pens get inked and tested at the factory or quickly in store to show someone so possible it came gunked and your struggles worsened things, easy enough to do. I tend to stress my nibs on first writing to separate gunked tines. it may even benefit from trying a noodlers eel ink (lubricating) to see if its the ink you use thats a factor too. cold just be a case of finding the right balance for your pen and style. Ive got several 2000s and the italic is the only troublemaker.the one with my midori passport notebook in my pocket gets a lot of movement and I use a brown ink with gold particles (herbin 1680 thingy ink) and it doesnt clog but does lose ink inside the lid faster than i'd like. still for me my pilot vasnishing point medium is the best, wet writer on any surface at any angle. vastly different from the fine nib and a reasonably thick line so bad if you write small. Its a pen for Texans I think... for john hancocks with signatures you can read from space :)