Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It’s specifically for their Polaris and Nebula finishes.
    They’re pretty unique.

I ordered both last night anyway. I am not expecting a huge amount but as long as they’re decent writers I’ll be happy. I mean surely they’ll be as good as a Pilot Prera or Lamy Vista both of which I enjoy as every day writers and don’t need to worry about hurting unlike my Lamy 2000 lol

Had quite a few positive reports from Fountain Pens Oceania faceballs group too though.

2. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Review required (please) :) And the Lamy 2000, been one of my grail pens...

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Will be happy too. They're on a slow boat from Goulet pens but I'll be posting pics and impressions when they arrive.

Ah yes... I bought my Lamy 2000 back in about 2012 and hated it from the moment I first inked it. The thing is beautiful and feels wonderful in the hand. But from the day I got mine I hated the way it wrote. Not only did it have such a stupidly narrow sweet spot but it hard started and often starved mid stroke when writing slowly let alone trying to do some kind of flourishy thing.

So I cleaned it out and threw it in a draw for a few years. Tried it again. Still disliked it so cleaned and tossed back in the drawer. Last few months I kinda got back into FP's again in a decent way. So I thought I might try sending it to someone to work out what is wrong with the nib. I ended up sending to a guy in NSW called Max Schumacher and he pulled it apart. Said there was ever so slight misalignment of the tines which he corrected as well as a thorough clean. He actually asked if I'd bought it second hand as it looked like a vintage pen inside... So either I cleaned it reaalllly poorly when I laid it up those times or it came filled with crud and I never stood a chance of liking it.

So anyway - now it writes quite nicely actually. I'm still learning to enjoy it though as whenever I'm writing with it I'm anxious that it's just a moment away from being so very disappointing again. I think with time I'll forget how it was and really begin to appreciate it. I also need to learn to write without rotating the thing off the sweet spot - that part hasn't changed!

4. pelmen

pelmen Member

Glad your 2000 has improved for you. Many pens get inked and tested at the factory or quickly in store to show someone so possible it came gunked and your struggles worsened things, easy enough to do. I tend to stress my nibs on first writing to separate gunked tines. it may even benefit from trying a noodlers eel ink (lubricating) to see if its the ink you use thats a factor too. cold just be a case of finding the right balance for your pen and style. Ive got several 2000s and the italic is the only troublemaker.the one with my midori passport notebook in my pocket gets a lot of movement and I use a brown ink with gold particles (herbin 1680 thingy ink) and it doesnt clog but does lose ink inside the lid faster than i'd like. still for me my pilot vasnishing point medium is the best, wet writer on any surface at any angle. vastly different from the fine nib and a reasonably thick line so bad if you write small. Its a pen for Texans I think... for john hancocks with signatures you can read from space :)

5. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Resurrection time again...

I finagled with my Pelikan 140s' nib again as it wasn't playing the game. Looking at the slit, it was the same gap from breather hole to tip, time for adjustment. Squish one tine over the other, then back again (I'm not wording this well...) Then align tines...
    Dr Emmets' glasses donned, tines aligned. Nib back into the section. (friction fit, NOT screw-in) Wrote like crap again. Tried to find some marking on the feed to align nib with before fitting but found nothing. Pulled the nib a mm or two out from the feed: fuck yes!
    I've a feeling this might be a "Frankenstein pen" as the nib doesn't fit the feed very well.

But at the moment the thing writes like on glass :) (Rhodia paper)

Cheers

Akh-Horus likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I feel unworthy - I don't use a fountain pen.

7. pelmen

pelmen Member

/banned !

Akh-Horus likes this.
  8. arytel

arytel Member

I'm getting back into using my pen again.
    The biggest stumbling block was the lid on my TWSBI 530 breaking and my regluing efforts finaly not working.
    But credit to TWSBI, actually blown away by their customer service, I contacted them asking to point me in the right direction and for the cost of postage I'm getting a new replacement cap sent out from Taiwan.
    Once it arrives this will return to being my work pen again.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  9. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

New pen & ink

Click to view full size!

Pelikan M150 Gunther Wagner Limited Edition blah blah...

Steel M nib, nice

And Platt Spencer can f*ck off, Spencerian script blows

My new leading light is Michael Sull, bought his book from Book Suppository;
    one must respect the official calligrapher for former USA President Reagan :shock:

Cheers

Akh-Horus likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Review please. Appearance reminds me of a Mont Blanc of all things.

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Pelikan M150 Gunther Wagner Limited blahblah review

12.2cm capped, about 11.7 uncapped, 14.7 posted, nicely
    3/4 turn to screw cap on/off
    No idea of weight, it's light...
    Black with transparent grey ink window above the section, gold plated furniture

Piston fill, holds maybe 1.2ml, gold plated medium steel nib, writes smoothly on Rhodia, nice on copy paper too

The included bottle of ink is cool, it has a hollow in the front that functions as a pen holder

Click to view full size!

This thing is around 22 years old; you can tell by the beveled cap ring, changed in '97

Never been inked, so you could imagine my delight in sucking up some gorgeous J Herbin Amethyst into it :)

Akh-Horus likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Looks the shiz - I am envious. Enjoy.

13. pelmen

pelmen Member

does it also smell like a cigar box? or just look like one?

14. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Meh, I think it's the cheapest piston-filler Pelikan has made, cost me <$120 AUD
    Don't get me wrong, I like it and it's fun :) Maybe one day an Italic grind...

Smells like a cardboard box, (yes, I sniffed it) do you know something I don't? :lol:

15. pelmen

pelmen Member

nice and all but what the hell is a collector to do with a box set? break it up and chuck the box? pens and inks can't integrate with collection. sticks out like a sore thumb. My stealth vanishing point came in special box, broke it all down, got others too in boxes i dont know what to do with really, most of my pens are in my pen folio or scattered around the home. do have one new one i should photo and show off..gold foil with dragon. but enthusiasm to do anything wanning fast.

die_piggy likes this.
  16. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I have a lamy safari but it hasnt worked for months. I've replaced the ink and fiddled with the nib in several ways and nothing seems to work.

17. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Given it a solvent soak?

18. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Sounds like the nib & feed is clogged with dried ink.

Remove the barrel, cartridge/converter and stand the pen nib down in a glass of cold water, about 50mm deep, overnight.
    Buy an ear syringe from a pharmacy, (should be less than $10) fill the syringe with cold water, shove it in where the cartridge goes, and squeeze the syringe.
    Repeat until the water coming from the nib is clear.

Well done! You've just cleaned your pen... unless you're using something other than fountain pen ink :)

19. pelmen

pelmen Member

a good soak in clean water with maybe a drop of dishwashing liquid will help to dissolve and lift the dry ink. after soaking overnight a very gentle scrub with a toothbrush can help the stubborn bits and soak another day then syringe as uncle fester suggests. do not use cleaning products like metho etc as you can never know if it'll react with components inside the pen to make matters worse. but if you've "fiddled" with the nib you may have already damaged it. :( there are plenty of videos on replacing the nib you can check out but tha safari is easy to pull straight out and it'll be easier to clean if you separate the parts if its stubborn to get working. if you ink up and then wrap the entire nib assembly in a clean tissue then sit nib down upright in a cup the tissue should draw out the ink. you can leave like this overnight again to let the ink flow as it should, where is should and help keep the capilary action areas "wet" and ready for writing. once writing again, be sure to use the pen regularly and cap it properly as it will dry and clog again without use. to further help get yourself a bottleof lubricating ink (Noodlers makes a selection) to help the pen stay healthy and avoid metallic and shimmer inks which have suspended particles that can clog a pen.

youcan also replace the nib easily, a Medium nib should be troublefree but a fine nib can a problem if not used correctly as it has smaller gaps for the capillary action to work smoothly and if you are heavy on the nib they can bend enough to close the gap and prevent operation. an inked pen gently resting upright on its nib on a tissue you should see a growing circle of ink freely appear and grow, if nothing the tines are misaligned i'd say.

20. pelmen

pelmen Member

meh... platinum dragon.jpg