Pens, Paper & Ink - Offical OCAU club/thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

This was it! Soaked it in water overnight and it did the trick. Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Just ask the right man!

3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Happy to help :)

Akh-Horus likes this.
  4. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Fountain Pen Day purchase from Rickshaw Bagworks, a pen sleeve!

Click to view full size!

The colour isn't quite right, but what do you want from a nearly sixty-year old pen? :lol:

5. pelmen

pelmen Member

Everybody is sick of a billion "year in recap" and "predictions for next year" shows, articles, polls and forum threads right?!

So how has this last orbit around the sun been for your fountain pen fetish? Accomplish any milestones? Learnt anything? Forgotten anything? only used your fountain pen to tattoo the dog?

I'll start off: my Visconti Homo Sapiens doesnt hold my interest as much as it did as a wishlist pen. Nothing really wrong with it but I dont get warm and fuzzy using it like my
    pilot VP.
    Also my handwriting has worsened so no progress there.

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

[QUOTE="pelmen, post: 18372071, member: tattoo the dog?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a dog, luckily, else it would be tattooed...

I get ya feels pelmen, I had similar anticipation for Spencerian script but found it's not for me. As per previous post; Michael Sull is my new muse, though I've not done anything from the book. (Seeing any parallels yet?)

My latest purchase is a Nemosine Singularity, nice pen under $30AU and I've been having fun with it. Incoming is a Narwhal. Heard good things. And Galen Leather rocks.

When you want to sell your Homo Sapiens pelmen, let me know first 'k?

7. pelmen

pelmen Member

since i also collect rock, minerals, fossils etc the homosapiens is likely to stay for now for its geological connection, but then again i've been slowly giving away all sorts of things i dont feel the need to hang on to.

waiting for a pen order after a long drought too with yet another spencerian book that probably wont get me in the mood to use.

yesterday decided to dig out my two Platignum Gold Nib pens and try to get them operational, one should be fine but the other needs its bladder replaced (know the feeling) so maybe i'll be able to afford to get those running soon. had them for over 30yrs but never really used them, i think i inked the dud one with india ink back in high school and maybe thats what ruined the bladder. anyway something to tinker with.

I'll look at Galen Leather i think. my midoripassbook system is great but the leather cover isn't holding up though. in particular the pen holder which has stretched and my lamy 2000 keeps slipping out. The cover i got via Etsy for my bullet journal however is fantastic and maybe i'll try to find and contact them and see if they can make similar for my midori. its thicker leather all round and well stitched and the pen holder loop has only stretched to suit the pen so its always firmly held and no need to fumble with strings/elastics or silly clasps. open it stays open, closed it stays closed. then again things always seem to interrupt my plans and hassles at work etc. :( dont hold much hope for improvement, so you might yet acquire my visconti, it was something i'd already considered.

8. pelmen

pelmen Member

my goulet order arrived today. its Sull's book i got to hope to start on that soon.... ;)

btw anyone wanting to order from Goulet Pens before 31 Jan '20 can have my $10 discount code TenOff75120, its a single use code so if you use it please post so others dont waste their time.

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I've been pretty content with my Lamy 2000 and other cheaper pens so far. Then a colleague had to go bring in his Pelikan 805's in. Now I want one of them. Real bad. Then I discovered the Blue Dunes special edition 805 and now I want that instead!

10. pelmen

pelmen Member

lol, been listening to a fountain pen podcast and now my wishlist is outgrowing the laws of physics. i dont think I've written with a Pelikan but i did get more Pilot stuff including the cheap cheap cheap and cute Kakuno which writes fantastically out of the box. really puts the experiences of expensive pens to shame. try one of those, its a more affordable addiction.

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

holdennutta
    The Pelikan thing is great, but expensive, mine are sort of vintage, and I've had to mess with the older one.

pelmen
    I've a Pilot MR and Custom Heritage 92, both nice for their price-points, but very different pens!

So Galen Leather did the Black Friday thing... my haul arrived today

Galen1.jpg
    Two pen case, this thing is gorgeous, hand made.
    Galen2.jpg

Narwhal Hippocampus Purple. Piston filler. German steel nib. I've not inked it yet.
    I wanted the blue one, but sold out. I now own a purple pen...

The images are from Galen because I cbf

And you know how some pen dealers gift you with lollipops? Galen sends you Turkish tea and (instant) coffee!
    Time to grow up Mother**ckers!

Cheers

Update
    Galen3.jpg
    This is what you get from Galen,
    the pen case and pen, which is the only stuff I ordered.
    Comes with (as I've said, coffee and tea in a cloth drawstring pouch (nice dice bag)), an evil eye with explanation, leather slip case for the pen in it's own zippered case, postcard and keyring... and a wooden rod to em-biggen the pen holes in the case for fat pens

Check their Writers Box, A5 zip case

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Akh-Horus likes this.
  12. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

The Nemosine was a hard-starter, wrist-flick, dab-dab-dab on the paper, nothing. Pulled the thing apart. Pulled a brass shim through the tines twice, from underneath, flushed the damned thing with water. Now writes every time.
    Tried it at three 15 minute intervals... 30-odd degrees C in Melbourne ATM

F%ckin pens!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Pen or ink?

14. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Pen is a Nemosine Singularity, I bought it quickly because the maker shut up shop and I've been after a Nemosine for a while.
    I've never seen a $20USD pen shoot up in price on EBay so fast!

Nemosine.jpg
    Steel nib, nice entry-level pen. Comes with converter

Ink is Blackstones' Black Stump

Akh-Horus likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Love to know how many pens you have now lol.

16. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

About 40 writing instruments...
    1 Mech pencil
    5 Ballppppppnnnntssss, sorry I can't even type the word...:lol:
    and the rest are fountain pens, from $1.75 cheap Chinese to a Diplomat Aero, not my favourite pen, just the most exy

For those still following, 2 of those Ballppppppnnnntssss (1 wood, 1 resin (?) were made by our host, Akh. Let me know if you want pics

Cheers :)

Akh-Horus likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Check this one out Fester.

You like?

Attached Files:

18. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Akh, that thing is gorgeous!
    The body of it almost glows :)
    I'm dubious of the grip section, those rings could be a pain; that said, I've a Pilot VP that I find comfortable.

That thing poking from the pointy end, isn't that one of those things that cavemen used? :lol:

Love your work
    Cheers

19. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Cheers mate.

Got a large selection I am listing to sell. That blank is an opal one, they look amazing don't they.

Here's a different blank and different kit.

upload_2020-2-26_22-23-21.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  20. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Akh = Got a large selection I am listing to sell

Where are you selling them? EBay, Etsy, Gumtree...