PENTAX Owners Club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Cask, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Cask

Cask Member

[​IMG]

Australia (well, nearly everywhere) is mostly dominated by Nikon and Canon SLR's - which is strange because after a recent trip to Europe had me noticing an equal amount of stock at electronics stores.

Pentaxtic Resources:
    (mod note: most of these links are for Pentax Forums, I don't have any relation or membership with them lol)

Check EXIF Tool Online tool that allows you to upload an image to read EXIF data and figure out how many actuation's since that shot. (Can also possibly reveal Pentax cam serial number)

Serial Number Database

PK Tether - Allows connecting and controlling Pentax cameras from the PC. Supports Pentax K-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.

Pentax Comparison Tool

Snapsort: In-depth Camera Comparison Tool

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. Asako

Asako Member

Pentax is a small player in the digital age, it's not just in Australia. It's unfortunate, but eh. I bought in to it because I preferred how they felt in my hands over the Canikon competition. Decades worth of legacy glass is also appealing, though I find myself leaning quite heavily toward AF lenses out of laziness.

3. OP
    OP
    Cask

Cask Member

Definitely, its a shame because I see Pentax as a decent provider -- especially with all the backwards compatibility K lenses.

4. JamesR

JamesR Member

I used to like Pentax, but I felt the lack of decent glass for the digital range a bit disappointing.
    I sold my K5 for a 5Dmk2 and got a 24-70L.
    I do miss the weather sealing, high ISO and in body IS sometimes.
    I still have a Pentax LX with M50 f/1.7, M28 f/3.5 and Sigma 400 f/8 Mirror lenses.
    But might move it on, since I just bought a Canon EOS33, so I could take advantage of my Canon lenses. Ha

5. jezza323

jezza323 Member

Ive still got my Pentax, even if I dont use it that much these days. Will probably look at upgrading to a 2nd hand K5, new K30 or whatever the new K5 replacement is at some stage when I have spare money

K200D w K mount - Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Pentax F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5
    Pentax Q - 01 Prime (47mm f1.9 equiv), 03 Fisheye (17mm f5.6 equiv)

Makes a nice little travel kit that all fits into my small bag.

Also have these
    Pentax M42 Adapter - Tair-11a 135mm f2.8, Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0

Which dont fit, but are fun when the time is right!

6. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Sold up my Pentax digital gear to switch to Nikon for their full frame offering and better autofocus.

Saying that I still own a Pentax ME-Super which I regularly shoot with :D

7. Intric8

Intric8 Member

I'm really hoping Pentax's next offerings have enough to keep me on-board as I really love the system as a whole.

Current Kit:
    * K7 & Grip
    * FA77mm ltd
    * FA43mm ltd
    * DA15mm
    * Super ME

Previously owned:
    * Sigma 10-20mm
    * DA16-45mm
    * DA35mm ltd
    * FA50mm
    * DA70mm ltd
    * Tamron 70-200mm

Want:
    * Next K body
    * FA31mm ltd

8. pop4

pop4 Member

in before Sir_bazz/xhanatos posts...

I've still got my Pentax K-5s, but ever since getting my X-Pro1, I've barely touched my Pentax stuff. Still, when I need to shoot with a dSLR, it's always nice using the K-5.

9. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

I have a 67 because it was the only good camera Pentax made.

Has some v nice glass. And a handle!

10. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

I got into Pentax with my K10D for several reasons including IQ, ergonomics, weather sealing, legacy glass. The high ISO ability of the K5 kept me around when my K10D died (and made me spend the $ to get the K10D repaired). Sure Pentax doesnt offer the range of digital glass that CaNikon offers but it offers the lenses i need and that glass is generally cheaper and as good as or better than the CaNikon equivalent, especially when taking Primes into consideration.

Whether or not they bring out a FF body next is moot to me as I am one of those photographers who is happy with APS-C. Works fine for the photos I take. Only thing FF means for me is a need for heavier, bulkier lenses which sorta destroys the ergonomics reason i got into Pentax.

All i want is an APS-C body from Pentax with better AF. When they bring that out I will replace my K5.

Current Kit:
    Primary
    * K5 & D-BG4 Grip
    * FA 50/1.4
    * DA* 16-50/2.8
    * DA* 60-250/4
    Secondary/Wifes
    * K10D
    * A 50/2.0
    * 18-55/3.5-5.6 (kit)
    * Samsung 50-200 D-Xenon

Want:
    * K Body with faster/more reliable AF
    * the "upcoming" DA* 16-85
    * 90/2.8 Macro
    * Sigma 8-16mm Rectilinear
    * Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 500/8 (55BB)

11. Asako

Asako Member

I have:
    K-r
    DA 35 2.4
    A 50 1.7
    D-FA 50 2.8
    DA 50-200 WR
    Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 (old ver)
    Tamron 90 2.8

I want:
    K-5 (or its replacement if noticeably better)
    DA 15 or similarly wide non-fisheye prime.
    300+ tele prime. DA*300 or upcoming 560 if priced well.

I've pretty much given up on zooms. Sold my kit 18-55, never use 50-200 (soon to sell, hopefully) and only keeping the sigma for its flexibility, though not used it for months.

12. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

Bastard! :p

Add me to the list.
    ME Super
    K1000 (x2)
    K10D
    K7

too many lenses

13. oculi

oculi Member

i've got an MZ-50 with 28-80mm f/5 or whatever sigma lens, before i bought my canon i wanted to buy a pentax digital so i could reuse this lens (didn't know shit about anythign at this stage) but the camera guy explained crop factors to me and i hated how the pentax cameras of the day felt in my hands.

also have an optio S7n that I bought to replace my lost far superior optio S5.

so a member of this club by the rules and not the spirit.

14. sloder

sloder Member

I went to a deceased estate sale today to get a Kenko 2x AF teleconverter for $45 :)

And they also had heaps of old film gear 2 x Pentax 6x7 with wood grips 30+ lenses super Takumars etc, old bellows unit for the 6x7, old Pentax rangefinder that folds out like a bellows, a K1000 and heaps more, I don't know anything about them nor could test if they worked, but if anyone is interested I can pass on their contact details.

They are in Wanneroo WA.

15. jezza323

jezza323 Member

The K-30 is supposed to have quite an improvement in AF accuracy over the K-5

I have been meaning to go test out the K-30 down the street, but have not had a chance. Better do it today since im flying out tomorrow!

16. Pixley

Pixley Member

MZ-50
    K-x
    K-5
    Too many lenses to list - except to say I have the 15mm - maybe best lens in my lineup and I want the 77 one day - a girl can dream:)

I might have to sell off some of my lenses to fund it! It will be interesting to see what Pentax come out with at Photokina though!

17. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

Yeah but its quite a step backwards in other areas that i find functional..

The successor to the K5 is rumored to have an even further improved SAFOX to the K30 according to the patents that have been lodged by Pentax so looking forward to that...

18. OP
    OP
    Cask

Cask Member

Aside from the better specs, would you say the K-x is significantly greater than the K-5?

19. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Previously owned a K200D with kit lens which came with some of my lenses listed below a few of which are old school manual focus.

Currently using:
    K-5 with third party grip
    Pentax A 50mm F1.7 manual
    Sigma 30mm F1.4
    Pentax FA 28mm F2.8
    Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 DCII Macro
    70-210mm F3.5 manual
    Mitakon 75-150mm manual

20. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I dug my ME-Super out a year or so ago with the intent of putting a roll through it, but it took one shot before refusing to wind on. Apparently a not uncommon problem that requires a lot of work to fix. (found the instructions on how to repair it online, the entire camera appears to be built around the rubber bit that needs removing)