PENTAX Owners Club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Cask, Aug 24, 2012.

1. nakey

nakey Member

It just seems a bit odd that for a lens that's normally an L/Pro/Zeiss/"Haz special sauz" isn't a D-FA* lens.

Would that mean there's something special tat would be a D-FA*?

EDIT: just looking at the new roadmap. All my Speculation but D-FA "wide zoom" looks like a 12-24 (could be a rebadged sigma 12-24 III that's slated to come out soon) and D-FA "large diameter wide zoom looks about 15-30 (so could be either Tokina 16-28 F2.8 or Tamron 15-30 F2.8 non-VC USD). It does makes me think that the D-FA "Standard Zoom" looks like a 28-105...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Would make sense if it is a re-branded Tamron though. A 'star' lens would be entirely Pentax built/produced I would think.

3. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

I'm picking up a K3-II next month as an upgrade from my K-5, the autofocus is just not cutting it anymore and hasn't been for over a year.

Has anyone else grabbed one already and have any pro's or con's for me before I drop $1400 on this thing?

4. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

I picked up a K-3 a month or so ago to replace my (broken) K-5. No complaints so far. AF is definitely quicker and the extra AF points are nice. Though I still only use the centre. :lol:

I went out of my way to get the original over the II, as the built in flash/controller was more important to me than the GPS. That and it was 350 bucks cheaper.

5. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Yeah the K-3 was hard to find in terms of stock levels and I figured I may as well get the II as I wanted the astrotracing functionality and my flashes are either speedlites or studio strobes controlled via wireless or cable.

I'm not sure if I just never noticed it back when I first got them with my old K200D or grabbed them off ebay, but I have a SMC 50mm F1.7 and a SMC 50mm F2.0, some other primes and a couple of tele's, all manual focus, in addition to my autofocus lenses that I've gotten over the years. I played with them a bit on my K-5 when I got it but didnt really enjoy using them due to missing focus more often than not. I put the 1.7 on the K3 II on the weekend and found it so much easier to focus with compared to using it on the K-5. I don't know if I was just being bad or if the viewfinder is making a noticeable difference but I'm now going through my manual focus lenses and enjoying them a lot more now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

You using focus peaking in live view? If you haven't disabled it then you are. This makes a world of difference.

edit: just realised you didn't even mention live view.

7. nakey

nakey Member

TDS2015, got to play with the 645Z.

... one day, papa's coming home to Pentax :D

8. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Yeah, I think its pretty rare that I use live view, I cant think of many instances that I've used it at all actually off the top of my head.

9. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

10. Transit

Transit Member

Full Frame eh ?
    Might catch on :)

11. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

WOOH!!!!!!

Also shows the 24-70 2.8 DFA.

i guess this will be a rehashed version of the FA*... should be good... we will see in 4 months... my FA Ltd are getting excited.

12. Hamal

Hamal Member

Isn't this just a rebranded version of the Tamron 24-70?

13. pinheadion

pinheadion Member

I'll always have a soft spot for Pentax but I can't help but feel like they've finally walked into the full frame SLR party at McDonalds and shouted "I'm here!!!" just as the others are having their last piece of ice cream cake and heading next door to the FF mirrorless party.
    However it does appear as though they've tried to really trim the fat so it may be pretty portable after all. I can't help but imagine a killer FF mirrorless pentax with their range of amazing and portable glass.

14. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Oh... haven't been following the Pentax news lately...

missed this part... kinda disappointed, was hoping for the FA*.

15. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Have to agree. It's not even restricted to the impact of mirrorless either but also the global slow down in sales for all things photographic.

This camera will be great for Pentax users but everyone else who wants a FF DSLR already has one.

16. Hamal

Hamal Member

Who knows, it could be. I just remember there being a huge amount of speculation that the new 24-70 f2.8 from Pentax is heavily based on the Tamron 24-70.

I don't know if that's a bad thing though, I have one and it does OK.

If they pick a nice price point and the sensor is up to snuff, then it could win a few hearts and minds. For instance, I want to upgrade my 5D II and am currently at a loss to figure out which way to go. If Pentax come up with something interesting and unique, it could make the list of candidates.

17. lithos

lithos Member

If we've learned anything from the 645, it's not overdue, it's fashionably late to make an entrance.

Ah, the 645 - the greatest photographic middle finger of the twenty-first century!

18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Yeah the 24-70mm is a rebadged Tamron with Pentax HD coatings. People in the States have their hands on them already. As an owner of the Tamron version I can't see this as a bad thing at all. If only they had just done the same with the 70-200mm.

19. lithos

lithos Member

Ah, so same deal as with their Tokina-based stuff (DA* 16-50 and 50-135, 35mm Macro).

20. Munki

Munki Member

I'd love to see how this pans out for Pentax, and how good the camera itself is. I've got two FF lenses which I wouldn't mind migrating to the new camera if my K5 kicks the bucket. Just recently bought a HD DA 40 to try out too...Hmm...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015