1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

PENTAX Owners Club

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Cask, Aug 24, 2012.

1. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Most of the time my shots are done with my Sigma 30mm F1.4 which has been my primary lens for quite a few years now, however its not weather sealed and so I wont really be able to use it that much next year at an event I'm attending due to all the dust that gets kicked up.

So I need another WR lens that covers the 0-50mm range given I already have the 50-200 WR zoom. The primary use case will be taking photos in the evening/night in areas that are going to have a decent amount of dust flying around and I probably wont be using a flash.

At the moment the options I can see are the 18-55 F3.5-5.6 for about $250 from a few stores in Aus or the Pentax Australia web store. Another option is the Limited 20-40 F2.8 - F4 zoom from the Pentax Australia web store for $980. Or the DA* SMC 16-50MM F2.8 which is $968 at the moment or the DA SMC 18-135MM F3.5-5.6 for $550 which also seems to be pretty popular. I could also see if any of these are on ebay/pentaxforums/gumtree etc for less.

So I have a list of 4 lenses ranging from $250 to $1,000 and I'm struggling to pick which one would give me the best value for money - ie while the Limited's zoom range and aperture is great is it really 4x as good as the 18-55? Or is the 16-50 with F2.8 and all its associated motor issues worth looking at if I'm comparing at that price level? I have enough time to save up and buy any 1 of these lenses but I not sure one which to go with given that I might use any one of them for future events as well. Thought I would ask here if anyone has used any of these or had any input.

Edit: from having a further look into this it seems that only the DA* is rated as All Weather and water/dust proof as opposed to the WR rating on the others.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

My shooting habits currently tend to go FA*24mm F2 and 77mm LTD on my K20D.

This means my 31ltd and 125mm Voitlander will see much more action.. dont mind that as the 31 is preferable to the 24mm for IQ just the focal length is a bit in between... then my 24 can be a decent wide landscape lense...

its been awhile between drinks for my camera purchases.. no rush.. will see how this pans out.

3. huyie

huyie Member

There's a used one I noticed you can pickup for $600 (minus the lens hood).

4. Munki

Munki Member

Bought a HD DA 40mm recently and haven't really had a chance to play with it, but it's unbelievably tiny. I feel like I'm going to lose this thing if I took it around with me. Does anybody have any experience with this lens?

The quick few snaps I've had really highlights how much better the FA31 is though. Of course, not a surprising result...I actually feel the DA35 2.4 took better images though...So not really feeling the "limited"-ness of this lens.

5. Transit

Transit Member

Hi, I've got the DA version which is pretty similar imagewise afaik
    It is sharp as heck and has a saturated colour thing happening.
    Makes the K5-iis into a bulky p&s but for one problem....
    I have a DA21 :)

6. lithos

lithos Member

I've got the original M version (yes, they're the same - the DA's just got an AF screw, and no aperture ring - I've seen a few people run them on *ist film cameras, as they're still a full-frame lens).

It's funny when you see Canonites tout their 40mm "pancake".

The M/DA 40mm is a funny little lens - it's sharper in the corners than in the centre!

7. Munki

Munki Member

After using the DA 40 a bit more, I've come to realise I really don't like it.

I have used all the DA limited lenses now, except the 70mm, and I have to say the 40 is just not that great of a lens...Pretty disappointed as I had hoped it would be a keeper - given its compactness.

8. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

I find my 40 good for many things.. just not a "great" lense...

Fantastic on the end of some extension tubes..
    Lightest macro rig.. saves me carrying my very heavy Voigtlander when going light.

9. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

how much do you guys reckon the full frame body will go for in terms of $$$?

10. Munki

Munki Member

To me, it feels like it doesn't deserve the "limited" title. All the other limited lenses have something special about them, but the 40mm seems very "meh". Perhaps I'm just not using it right and it has some kind of special quirk, but I just know I would never have paid full price for this.

I'm gonna guess ~$3000 for us...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  11. Transit

Transit Member

I think the FA and DA limiteds are not the same kettle of fish.

the DA40 is tightly constructed of excellent materials.
    Lightning fast focus, images are very sharp, undistorted and saturated.
    The hood is a great design.
    All on a par with the 21 and 70.
    I swapped the faffing screw on cap with a clipon.
    I wish the DA21 was as perfectly linear.
    It's the fov that's the issue, 60mm on aps-c is where the meh lies :)

as for the FF, there will be two bodies,
    one a K1000 lookalike with minimal everything $2200
    and the full knackers K-3 type body $2100
    ;)

12. lithos

lithos Member

I'm hoping MZ-D with updated internals as the technical option, and MZ-1 for the traditional...

13. Transit

Transit Member

who would have thought, I'll give it a go :)
    edit: close focus distance is tight :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  14. lithos

lithos Member

That is genius! Its flat field and minimal distortion would be perfect, as well as the rig not being too front-heavy, like if you stuck a regular 50 on there.

15. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Around D750 ballpark territory.

16. Munki

Munki Member

Some lucky bastard bought the last FA 77 from CRK's ebay store with the 10% off over the weekend. I had been eyeing that and forgot to put it on my watch list. :upset:

I don't know if I should try emailing CRK to see if they'll match that price again as I think the price will go up...Can't find any second hand ones either. :(

17. Transit

Transit Member

Do it Munki...I just used mine for my daughters graduation. Rather a lot of WOW results :)
    Pete in NZ

18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I don't even use my Pentax any more and there is no way in the world I would part with my FA77 I love it that much.

19. nakey

nakey Member

Random question: Was anyone here enough of a Pentax fanboy to get the Uniqlo X Pentax 645Z T-shirt

20. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

I might have to pay uniqlo a visit. I reckon they won't have my size though!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015