Pentium III Tualatin Adventures

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Feb 11, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I was easily using XP in my Pentium III days...'Easily'.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I was still on win 2k until about 2004, still had 3 boxes in use that were 98SE and 1 clear acrylic cased win 95 P2 build with neons inside that was only for retro dos games.

Jumped ship to XP when sp2 came out little after then jumped to Vista aka Windows Longhorn project when it was in alpha and beta builds but they were msdn/technet subscriber only releases, which didn’t take long to pop on torrent sites.

3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I couldn't help myself... Put together a Tualatin system today.

Compaq OEM Liteon TR100 mATX motherboard (1 AGP, 3 PCI), has onboard Intel 10/100 LAN
    Tualatin Pentium 3-S 1.4GHz (512KB cache)
    256MB PC100
    S3 Savage XI 8MB AGP card
    2 x Diamond Voodoo 2 12MB cards in SLI
    Sound Blaster Live!

20180213_152503.jpg

The Savage IX is a rubbish entry level card that is meant for a notebook, but works really well in this case as a 2D card. It runs super cool and is very thin as it doesn't need a heatsink. The VGA output is nice and crisp, even with the Voodoo pass through cable.

Played a bit of Elite Force to test out the Voodoos, and Chex Quest to test out DOS sound compatibility.

I've battled with this motherboard in the past, with unresolvable conflicts trying to use either a Geforce 4 ti4600 or a 9800 Pro. Couldn't even give it away. :lol: With this set up, smooth sailing.

Phil's video on the Sound Blaster Live was a big help:

(Sorry for the thread hijack badmofo!)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    adz likes this.
  4. adz

adz Member

Intel Tualatin HSF with plastic retention bracket.
    Tualatin PIII.jpg

Intel Tualatin HSF with metal retention backet
    Tualatin CeIery.jpg

If you really want a better pic of the metal bracket, I'll remove it from the CPU.

BuuBox, flu!d and JidaiGeki like this.
  5. flu!d

The Pentium 3 Coppermine 1000 had the same plastic bracket, in my excitement with my new CPU I didn't have the cooler located properly, installed the plastic clip, pulled the leaver and broke the bastard!

I was devastated, but OCAU came to the rescue just two short days later!

This is awesome, loving all these Tualatin's!

6. adz

adz Member

I don't recall what cooler the Tualatin Celeron 1000 that I owned back then came with, I know it didn't have a plastic arm and looking at the base of the cooler above, it was clearly shipped with a Coppermine chip.

7. flu!d

My Tualatin in the day had the plastic clip, exactly the same one except with a white lever. I only ever used the metal clips on the early Coppermines, the track scratching bastards of things!

8. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Hmm Coppermines from 733 to 1000mhz came with the metal clip hsf's. The Tualatins came with the plastic clip and some of the server Tualatins came with beefy copper and aluminium metal clip hsf's.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. shredder

shredder Member

I've got a Tualatin 1.13ghz (SL5LT I think), it's got the green plastic clip HSF from adz's post above. My one however is not so photogenic aka freakishly clean, heh heh.

The fan is a Sanyo Denki 12V 0.17A.

adz likes this.
  10. adz

adz Member

I still have a stock Coppermine Celeron 800 HSF, it's slightly smaller than the ones above, I used it for lapping practice :lol:

11. CAESAR

CAESAR Member

This reminded me of an almost finished project I had in the Garage, a PIII Tualatin 1266. Dug it out from under the workshop bench, opened him up and what do I find, mouse pee and shit everywhere :upset: The case was mint but now it's stained with piss.

12. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

That's a bugger, but it reminds me to check the garage as we've recently started to get mice in the kitchen - watched a couple of the little buggers running about last night. Hope they haven't made a nest in any of my systems!

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I’d be more concerned of a possible rat/mouse nest near the kitchen than the systems.

14. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Nar - I'll share my Weetbix but no-one wees on my PCs.

Sorry for the slow reply on the cooler I have here, will get on it.

15. shredder

shredder Member

Rats and mice are very welcome in my house. The cats would really, really, love to see them, get to know them, welcome them to the neighbourhood, give them the tour. But the mice just refuse to come in, they just won't come near the inside of the house, ever. Pretty rude really.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  16. flu!d

My 1Ghz boxed P3 had the plastic clip exactly like the Tualatin's.

17. Hater

Hater Member

I was running a Palomino Core Althon XP on an A7N8x-X :leet:

Intel was for shmucks in those days

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Most likely a Tualatin or not an out of the retail box combination or late stock Coppermine because I know for a fact that Intel changed the metal clip to plastic clips for the Tualatins due to the inclusion of the IHS on the Tualatin and easier installation. Intel changed most of its remaining retail stock HSF to include the plastic clip for an easier installation and avoiding potential damage to the exposed die like the Coppermines because the metal clips were difficult to clip onto the base of the PGA-370 socket. The old metal clip stock Intel HSF was included from 733mhz cpu's up till the 1ghz Coppermines, if memory serves right from the Toms Hardware and HardOCP reviews back in 1999-2001 (around the time the 1.13ghz Coppermine was recalled) Intel had changed all stock HSF's from 800mhz and up to the revised plastic one which made installation easier. When Intel started gluing the IHS to the Tualatin die the clearance between the CPU PCB substrate/silicon and the tip point of where the HSF makes contact with the IHS of the CPU was increased by a few mm's.

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeah and you realise the Palomino core Athlon XP's was released towards the fall of 2001 and only really outshined the Tualatin P3 1.4ghz CPU's (which lasted up until about early 2001) in some categories because AMD took the SSE instruction set from the P3's which meant a slightly revamped electrical design and only about 10% faster than the earlier Thunderbird Athlon XP's which clock for clock the P3 Tualatin was a good few % faster overall and 10-15% faster in terms of raw synthetic performance.

The P4 Willamette on the other hand, was pure dog shit from Intel in those years (circa 2001'ish). A 1.4ghz Tualatin was on par with a 2.5-2.6ghz Willamette P4, but we are talking about the later Tualatin boards that took DDR rather than SDRAM which gave it a significant memory bandwidth boost which helped a lot in synthetic benchmarks.

The P3 architecture as a whole was Intel's gateway to the Pentium M, Core Solo and eventually the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo series. If Intel had kept it simple and evolved the P4 along the lines of the P3 architecture, AMD would not have stood a chance at all. Thankfully Intel learnt there lesson, 8 years later.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  20. flu!d

It was a retail out of the box Coppermine 1Ghz P3 with the plastic leaver type clip, I distinctly know this as I broke it. The Coppermine 1Ghz cooler was considerably bigger than the 1Ghz + Tualatin cooler.