1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Pepper Steak (with photos)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by TRAG!C, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Ingredients;

Steak - I prefer scotch fillet
    Spanish Olive Oil
    Sea Salt
    Pepper
    Whole pepper corns in rind
    Cream
    Worcester Sauce
    Sherry Dry
    Potatoes
    Seasonal Vegetables

First grab a nice cut of steak

[​IMG]

Grab your olive oil / salt / pepper

[​IMG]

Coat the steak in oil then rub in the salt / pepper. Leave it out to warm to room temperature (approx 30mins)

[​IMG]

While the steak is warming throw a couple of potatoes into boiling water. Par boil the potatoes for 10mins. While waiting for the potatoes allow your oven to pre heat to 200c

[​IMG]

Drain the water from the pot. Poor in a little olive oil and salt. Gently toss the pot about to nicely coat the potatoes. This will give them a nice brown skin when finished.

[​IMG]

Throw them in the oven on a nice heavy roasting pan for 20mins. They should come out with a nice brown colour.

[​IMG]

Remove the potatoes and crank the oven up to 250c, place your fry pan in the oven to allow it to heat up. Loosely wrap them up in some tin foil so they don't go cold. Make sure some of the steam can escape to stop them going soggy, we don't want to waste that nice brown skin.

[​IMG]

Once the oven hits 250c throw the steak on the pre-heated pan. Close the oven and set your timer, its different for each steak but for this one I did 2.5 mins per side for medium rare. Timing will take experimentation with the steak and your oven, you can make life easier by getting a meat thermometer.

[​IMG]

Unwrap your potatoes and cut them in half. As we used a heavy roasting tray it should still have heat in it. Add a little oil and place the potatoes cut side down.

[​IMG]

When the timer goes off open the oven and throw in the potatoes. We wait until now because we want to minimise any heat loss from the oven. Flip the steak and reset the timer.

[​IMG]

Prepare a plate to set the steak on. Make sure the plate is warmed so it doesn't cool down the steak. I also add a ball of al foil to elevate the steak above its juices, this stops the nice crust that forms from going soggy. Lastly a piece of al foil to cover the steak and keep it warm while we make our sauce.

[​IMG]

When the timer goes off again your steak should be done.

[​IMG]

Leave the potatoes in the oven and close the door but turn the oven off. The residual heat will be enough to continue the cooking and we don't want to burn them. Now place your steak onto the place you prepared earlier and cover it. Grab your ingredients for the sauce.

[​IMG]

Add the frypan you used to the stove and set it to a medium / low temp and add a slash of sherry. This will deglaze the pan pulling up the nice steak flavour. Simmer the sherry for about a minute to remove any alcohol.

[​IMG]

Add about half the cream and peppers. Slash in some Worcester Sauce.

[​IMG]

Simmer the sauce for around 2mins then grab your steak plate and pour in all the juices that have formed. Simmer for another 2mins or until you get a nice thickened consistency.

[​IMG]

Serve it all up on a warmed plate with some steamed vegetables. Add a glass of 2004 Moss Wood Merlot or what ever you have sitting around :D

[​IMG]

This photo didn't come out to well but you get the idea :D

[​IMG]

2. symxaus

symxaus New Member

Looks good man. Def having some steak tonight.
    [​IMG]

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Best paint work ever

and looks lovely

Im having bbq tonight :)

4. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Wow, looks great Trag!c!!! Must admit I usually don't serve my steak with sauce, but most recently I made a nice bearnaise sauce. Must give yours a try, it looks pretty easy to do.

5. influx

influx Member

pepper steak is delicious :thumbup:

6. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

What's the handle of your frypan made of? I wouldn't trust my el cheapo plastic handles surviving going in the oven.

7. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

It's a scanpan by the looks - my scanpan handles look similar are good up to 260 degrees I think.

8. OP
    OP
    TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

Cheers for the comments guys. Must say normally I do my steak just with salt and pepper however I do enjoy some pepper or mushroom sauce from time to time.

Yep pans are scanpan and good to 260c however all you really need is an iron skillet.

9. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

looks tops, must give it a try

but to lazy

10. The Baron

The Baron Member

That looks like a fantastic peppersauce, I must try this.

11. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

mmmmm peppersauce, i love it!

12. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

That's a cross between Dianne sauce (without the shallots) and pepper sauce. Mmm Yum

13. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Love pepper sauce and the taste or Worcester Sauce.

I have a tin of those peppers here in the cupboard, been working out how to use them best.

How do you store the rest of the peppers?

cheers

mM

14. OP
    OP
    TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

I just throw them in a plastic glad container, just remember to keep the rind

15. Gierke

Gierke Member

Looks great...but quick get the leg ropes it looks like it might run away :Paranoid:

Personal preference I spose :p

16. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

17. 4wardtristan

4wardtristan Member

lol johnnod!

i thought it looked brilliant, i have a real softspot for medium/medium rare steak, let alone medium/medium-rare pepper steak! ill be trying this sometime this week :thumbup: