Pepsi Max = Fattening or Not?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by cybermatic, Oct 10, 2004.

1. cybermatic

cybermatic Member

I know fizzy drink on the whole isn't good for your teeth or your body in general. Unfortunately, I drink alot of Pepsi Max. On average I drink about 2 litres a day. This I know can't be good for me or anyone for that matter but I am not worried about whether or not it is good for me. What I want to know is whether or not it is fattening (such as a block of chocolate is).

On the bottle is says it contains 'no' fat, 'no' sugar, infact.. it doesn't seem to contain anything at all but a small amount of sodium (from memory) which brings me to the conclusion it isn't fattening - it is basically just water with some flavouring.

That said, does that mean someone could drink as much Pepsi Max as they want and never put on weight because of it?

:confused:

2. Parthi

Parthi Member

depends how much energy in it (calories). if there is lots of energy in it and you dont use the energy its fattening

3. marttim_00

marttim_00 Member

pffft 1 - 2 litres.... try 34 cans of coke in 1 day

4. Defsac

Defsac Member

Diet colas use aspartame as a sugar substitute. Since aspartame has no nutritional value, your body can not store energy from it, meaning you won't get fat from the aspartame itself. There may be other substances in the drink your body can use (water for example), so it could be possible to gain weight if this was so. From memory, Pepsi Max contains no energy at all so the short answer to your question is no.

Keep in mind aspartame has component chemicals which are rather nasty (methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid) so if you insist on drinking the stuff, try to get batches as fresh as possible to minimize the risk of it breaking down into it's components.

Edit: added more info

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  5. GooSE

GooSE New Member

i.e. No, it's not fattening. But I don't think it would be doing great things for other aspects of your health either.

6. pyrox

pyrox Member

7. Dan!el

Dan!el Member

I thought it broke down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid (two amini acids!) and methanol. :confused:

EDIT: Ah.. the Methanol is broken down into formaldehyde which then quickly breaks down into formic acid - which you apparently have 20 times this amount that is in a can of pepsi max in your average daily diet anyway.

8. Narusagewa

Narusagewa Member

I find drinking a lot of soft drink subdues my hunger. Like I needed to lose 3kg in a week, I just had coke for 2 meals a day and then some food the third one, lost it easy.

Probably health problems but meh.

BTW I'm not fat...

9. zeddyzapper

zeddyzapper Member

Humm,
    used to drink heaps many years back,, now guts is rejecting most foods :(

10. Protius-X

Protius-X Member

It has extra caffien(sp?) compared to normal pepsi to replace the sugar.

EDIT: If I can remember correctly

11. SyN

SyN Member

ouch!
    but thanks for that, im a bit repelled from soft drinks for now

12. BLAZEUP420

BLAZEUP420 Member

getting fat should be the least of your worries

god damn man drink some water

13. zztopless

zztopless Member

what's the difference between Pepsi Max and Diet Pepsi?

14. BLAZEUP420

BLAZEUP420 Member

pepsi max is EXTREME!!!!!!!

i think that's about it

15. Romen

Romen Member

Caffine is the difference

16. samos

samos Member

There's no conclusive evidence on the effects of aspartame, but I wouldn't trust it. Some say in copious amounts it has caused brain tumours etc.

I use the sugar "equal" which contains whatever amount in it. I don't have much aspartame at all really, I don't even drink diet coke or pepsi max (rarely anyway). 2 Litres is far too much imo. I'd be keeping well hydrated with water, as from memory I think it is diuretic.

As for the consequences, well you may see them short term or long term, but I'd keep it to a minimum for healths sake.

As for fattening, no. There's pretty much no KJ in it at all.

17. OP
    OP
    cybermatic

cybermatic Member

That is a little worrying! If that is the case, I think getting fat is the least of my problems.

18. Vow

Vow Member

It's broken down in your body, so the age of batch has nothing to do with it.

19. Defsac

Defsac Member

Your body won't break down aspartame into diketopirerazine, however prolonged storage will. Diketopirerazine is arguably the most damaging compound found in aspartame, being linked to brain tumors and blood cholesterol changes.

20. Xplora

Xplora Member

The worst part about P Max is the acid... and yes the caffeine can become extremely addictive!

The distortions in your diet from the caffeine intake could cause more problems than they fix.