Perpetual Linux Distro Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Geo, Mar 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Foliage

Foliage Member

I kept getting close to 100% CPU usage from the nvidia driver that mint installed. Spent a day trying to fix it and gave up. Seems everytime I did something I'd end up with a black screen which did my head in.

2. vellanet

vellanet Member

I really like my QNAP's NAS's ability to spin up VM's and Docker containers from the web interface. Is there a turnkey distro out there that will do the same basically from boot with little/no config?

--Edit--
    Tried FreeNas Corral but it isn't there yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Can anyone recommend a distro best suited to a Macbook? I currently have Mint Xfce on an original Macbook Air, but the differences in keyboard binding and touchpad behaviours etc. are driving me mad.

I'd also happily take advice on how to setup my current Mint distro for my MacBook, but honestly something already pre-baked with an Apple device destination in mind is likely going to be more straight-forward. I mean, I can't be the only one who knows how much better the various unix distros run on out-dated Apple systems that struggle to run modern OSX releases...

I just want OSX style functionality, with Linux style system performance :(

4. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

ProxMox?
    https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve

Agreed. Should just be software config. No need to distro-hop just for a different keyboard. Any good DE should offer decent keyboard mapping to suit your personal needs.

6. Statitica

Statitica Member

It's likely supported already.

I had a similar issue with a few laptops last year. To solve:
    1) make sure the adapter is on
    2) connect via Ethernet, and then go "System>preferences>hardware>additional drivers" and let the GUI do its thing. (This is for MATE, in any other DE, you may want to just search for "drivers")

Nope. Libre office, or open office, is the way to go. Just make sure you copy your fonts across.

Not really. From memory, Cinnamon is one of the heavier DEs, so you might consider another, in the event of low resources, but otherwise overall functionality should be about the same.

Elvis recommends KDE for visual editing software (something about libraries which he understands and explains better than I can), and while he is probably right, at a hobbyist/amateur level like myself, the benefits are not noticeable.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

KDE is the only "heavyweight" DE that allows you to disable OpenGL hardware-accelerated screen compositing.

If you're using a lot of windowed 3D applications, it allows you to ensure GPU power isn't wasted on screen effects, and your application is getting 100% of the GPU power it deserves. Important for people who are doing things like professional 3D (CAD/CAM/DCC/VFX/etc).

I'm not 100% certain, but I have a feeling Unity and GNOME3 (and their derivatives) allow fullscreen 3D applications (including games) to disable the OpenGL compositing, but not windowed applications.

8. altefour

altefour New Member

Hey guys! I'm really keen to give linux a try outside of virtualbox. I've been playing with Ubuntu but I think it's time to set up a dual boot with Windows 10. I'd go all the way but kind of need Windows for uni/study.

A couple of questions:

I only have a 250gb SSD. Do you think that's enough for both operating systems?

Do you think I should stick with Ubuntu or try something different?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. vellanet

vellanet Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

If you have a spare large-ish USB 3.x stick or SD card (16GB or greater), install to that if you are wanting to take baby steps. That way you don't touch your Windows install at all.

As you get more comfortable, shrink your C: drive down and do a proper install next to Windows.

11. altefour

altefour New Member

That's awesome. Seems to be already available but I'd rather take steps toward using Ubuntu or Xubuntu as my primary desktop. Thanks for the heads up though, it looks cool.

That's a great idea, thank you.

12. altefour

altefour New Member

Decided to bite the bullet and install Xubuntu on my primary laptop. Because I opted in for updates and 3rd party software, all seems to be working really well so far.

13. HyRax1

Good stuff. As you get more comfortable with the basics (eg: Linux equivalents for common Windows locations and tasks) then you can start to customise your install with specific apps (same way as you would in Windows with preferred zip program, text editor, etc).

First thing you'll want to do is to unlock the extra software repositories called "multiverse" and "universe". Basically edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file and remove the leading hash symbol on all lines beginning with "deb" and "deb-src". Save and then refresh your software inventory with "sudo apt-get update" in a terminal. There's also a GUI way to do this, but I'll let you Google it up.

Some of my personal favourite customisations to install:
    • htop (to replace top, a text-GUI system monitor for terminals, but on steroids)
    • mc (Midnight Commander - text-GUI tool for terminals)
    • shutter (nice print screen GUI tool)
    • ubuntu-restricted-extras (all extra video/audio codecs and MS fonts)
    • xscreensaver (nice Mac-like screensaver)
    • gimp (Photoshop style image editor)
    • krita (image drawing app on steroids)
    • steam (games!!)
    You can install all of the above with one command:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install htop mc shutter ubuntu-restricted-extras xscreensaver.* gimp krita steam

(the ".*" on the end of "xscreensaver.*" means install all packages that start with "xscreensaver" because you have the program plus extra plugins related to it.)

To install apps like Oracle Java, most vendors will have available what is called a "PPA" or "Personal Package Archive" - this allows you to install the app(s) in question from a reputable source and it also means all future updates will present as normal OS updates.

In the case of Java version 8 (PPA info page here), from a terminal:

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    2. sudo apt-get update
    3. sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
    The first line adds the Webupd8 PPA to your system. Basically it adds a single text file into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ which tells your system which URL provides those updates. A GPG signing key will also be added to your keyring to ensure that you don't install any rogue software pretending to be legitimately from those PPA's.

The second line refreshes your software inventory which will include the new PPA.

The third line actually does the physically installation by searching your inventory for a package of the same name and then retrieving it from wherever the index is telling it to (in this case from the Webupd8 PPA).

14. altefour

altefour New Member

Thanks so much for this! I had a little trouble getting admin access to the source list so I installed gedit and used 'sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list to be able to edit and save. I'm sure there's an easier way but that seemed like the most efficient at the time.

I really like htop and mc! Very handy tools, thank you. I might hold off on installing Steam but it's nice to know I have it available.

Adding repositories doesn't seem all that difficult. Your explanations make perfect sense.

EDIT: I caved! Installing Steam now.:lol:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  15. HyRax1

Yep, that does the trick. If you wanted to do it exclusively in the terminal, then you could use nano instead, which is a terminal-based full-screen editor which is easy to use (nano filename, make changes, then CTRL+X, then Y and then Enter to save those changes).

No worries - only two of dozens of ultra useful tools out there. :)

lol - nice one! If you have NVidia graphics on your PC, remember to install the NVidia drivers for best performance.

Remember if you are trying to find something specific, you can easily search all 42,000 pieces of software in the repository using a command like the following. Let's say you are looking for tools to suit ThinkPad laptops:

Code:
    $ apt-cache search thinkpad

...and now let's refine that further to only show ThinkPad tools related to batteries:
    Code:
    $ apt-cache search thinkpad | grep battery

Anyway, sounds like you're having fun, so keep exploring!

16. altefour

altefour New Member

Wow, yeah that's definitely quicker. I'll work on getting comfortable with it.

It's an Acer Aspire V3 with an onboard 520. Nothing special, but there're plenty of low spec linux compatible games to play through.

That's actually really helpful,thanks! Grep is cool too.

So much fun. Cheers for all the help!

17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I got sick of problems with Windows 10 on a HP 2170p laptop. All it's used for is internet browsing and occasional word processing.

For this sort of basic use, Ubuntu 16.04 works perfectly out of the box, including suspend/resume and hotkeys which were causing me headaches in Windows 10 due to driver issues...

18. altefour

altefour New Member

I don't know where else to put this without creating a new thread so sorry if it doesn't fit.

I'm studying a Cert IV in Computer Systems and the amount of bile re linux I hear coming out of my C# tutor is enough to make me dislike him to the point of phasing out anything useful he has to say (which is rare).

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

TAFE college?

Uneducated lecturer who is MS certified, I bet your course also sits MS Cert exam as part of the curricular?

MS nutjobs are just anxious because the world is moving away from their sphere of knowledge to cloud based solutions where MS offerings are inferior and 10yrs behind.

20. altefour

altefour New Member

Yep, Box Hill Tafe. MS 10, ccna, and A+ are what they're "teaching" at the moment. Didn't mean to derail the topic of this thread. Just wanted to express my annoyance.