Perpetual Linux Distro Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Geo, Mar 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

I was listening the systemadministrivia podcast the other day (Good for a laugh, lots of cursing though) and the maintainer of an e-reader application closed a bug request about porting it to python 3 because he felt it would be easier for him to maintain Python 2 by himself haha. I'll be interested to see how many other things break.

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Calibre? lol

3. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

Yep that's the one.

4. RnR

RnR Member

Tried a few distro's over the last few months. Swapped to Ubuntu 18.10 and then to Ubuntu Budgie and then finally to Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. On my old ivy bridge lappy, Mint wins in terms of responsiveness. Ubuntu and even Budgie felt slow and chunky with their ui updates.

5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I recommend MX. The slickest distro built around XFCE I've ever used.

RnR likes this.
  6. kogi

kogi Member

Did a timeshift restore yesterday and system refused to boot. Fixed with a boot-repair and grub update

Is this normal and I just got to remember to do a grub update after a do a restore? Or have I set it up wrong?

My system

UEFI
    /boot on ext4 partition
    / on btrfs

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Depends if the grub config matched the grub version installed to the boot sector, and if it also matches the kernels you have in /boot.

Did your timeshift restore copy stuff in /boot as well as the rest of your system?

8. kogi

kogi Member

Can't see anything in the settings, but the backup files shows it does

9. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Why no separate ESP partition? Encrypted root? I know grub can't boot zstd compression...

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

personally I tend to just use my ESPs as the boot partition and deal with the limitations of having a vfat /boot (notably no symlinks). But then I dont use grub, just refind and the kernel stubloader

11. kogi

kogi Member

If that's the EFI partition, I have one, I dual boot windows on this drive as well

12. elvis

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Aww, no love for gentoo in the "no life" category :p

14. elvis

Ha, I said the same thing to the folks in my office.

I remember for a while there every green newbie junior in the door would ask you why you don't run Gentoo on servers. I'd offer them the task of converting everything over and maintaining it. When they realised they'd be working weekends for the rest of their lives, they'd finally agree to using Ubuntu/CentOS and giving up on their 1% performance gain for thousands of hours of compile time. :lol:

RnR likes this.
  15. kogi

kogi Member

Whats the 2 linux that's with arch in the no life section?

16. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Kali and LFS (Linux From Scratch)

kogi likes this.
  17. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I haven't found any convincing evidence Gentoo delivers performance gains at all. It does provide for customization which is, I think, it's biggest strength.

For any application where the number of configurations is greater than one or two, I think it's a horrible solution. Deployment en mass requires a package manager and, ideally, a release manager like Aptly. If your job heavily involves mixing and matching components for testing or development, it (or Nix, or GUIX, or Arch) might be useful.

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Missing the do you need to use office factor :(

19. elvis

It can, but it depends on use case. There are times when better compile time optimisations offer a tiny boost, as do "unroll_loops".

Likewise if you're doing semi-embedded systems and space is utterly critical, smaller binaries can make a difference.

But both are edge cases, and 9 times out of 10 the better (i.e.: more sensible in business) solution is either to buy faster hardware or IO/storage.

I Gentoo's defence, they did offer the option to centrally compile code and deploy it to a fleet. So if you needed a specific compile-time feature AND had uniform hardware, that could work.

But again, edge case. Certainly in the last decade I haven't found a valid reason to deploy compile-from-source distros of any flavour in business. And at home, I've got better things to do with my free time.

20. kogi

kogi Member

Time to rebuild the webserver and thinking of going with ubuntu instead of cent.
    Reasons, livepatch, and landscape.( Free kernel care and remote management ? )

Any major gotchas?