Perpetual Linux Distro Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Geo, Mar 30, 2002.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com.au/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00JRGCFLA/ozbargain-22
    Scroll down as there are other Linux kindle books for $0.00 get em quick.

* there is a catch
    Kindle Unlimited - 30 day free trial
    Unlimited Reading. Unlimited Listening. Any Device.
    Enjoy this book and over 1 million titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for just $13.99 a month.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. ae00711

ae00711 Member

is it ok to use this thread as a 'perpetual *nix n00bs problems' thread? :p

I've just switched over to Linux Mint (CInnamon), from W10.

my first problem I can't seem to solve (googlefu is failing me), is having the taskbars ('panels'?) only show windows that are active on their respective monitor (I'm running 3 monitors).
    I hope I've explained that clearly - example: if I have a browser open on Monitor1, I would like the taskbar/panel to have the browser icon show it on Monitor1's taskbar - and not on Monitor2's

3. ae00711

ae00711 Member

oh and an alternative to ultramon would to be super

and is there a way to show a different pic/slideshow on each monitor?

4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

You can do this under the Mate DE, unfortunately the last time I used Cinnamon I couldn't even get the panel to span monitors without using some form of extension 'hack', see my Mate desktop below:

[​IMG]

Rather than use software such as Ultramon, try to make more use of virtual workspaces - They're far more effective than simply having various windows open on individual monitors and you can shift windows between workspaces by right clicking on the top window bar and selecting the workspace you want the window on. I make vast use of this as a dual monitor user myself and now couldn't do without it! I have the functions to switch between virtual workspaces mapped to the two side buttons on my mouse so I just flick between workspaces with the press of a button.

[​IMG]

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

na, can't stand virtual workspaces :/ that's a poor mans solution to not having multiple monitors, which isn't me
    so with Mate, you can do what I described in previous post, OOB?

also.. faaaaar out, how hard is it to network share shit on linux.. been trying for an hour, still no success

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

NFS or SMB? Exporting an NFS share should take like two seconds

7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I use multiple monitors...

As well as virtual workspaces.

I see it the other way around, I see multiple monitors alone as the poor substitute to properly configured virtual workspaces. As stated, the Mate DM allows for multi monitor panels, Cinnamon is very limited in this regard - You can see in the screenshots provided exactly what is possible under Mate.

Since the removal of SMB1 support under virtually all operating systems including Windows, it's no harder than it is under Windows.

Remember, don't expect Linux to be a drop in Windows replacement. Windows is not the benchmark by which all other operating systems are to be judged.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah I decided to make the switch from Cinnamon to Mate. Cinnamon is great out of the box, but I was just running into too many limitations the more I played with it.

ae00711 and flu!d like this.
  9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I think we all followed the same path my friend. That's literally the exact same thing I did for the exact same reasons.

self_slaughter likes this.
  10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

well f88k..

I'll have to live with cinnamon unitl semester break, don't have enough time to fluff around with another fresh install :(

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Since the dropping of SMB1, don't expect network 'browsing' to work under any OS, including Windows. Best to map drives manually using \\IP Address\folder name. Under most Linux file managers you then add the share as a bookmark.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Install mate then choose the WM (Windows Manager) of choice at the login prompt.

self_slaughter likes this.
  13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

yeah, no need to install fresh just to change desktops.

I had a few installed for a while until I had mate setup the way I liked, then blitzed the other ones.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

A demonstration of my Ubuntu Mate desktop running Compiz WM, one of the earlier iterations of my desktop (it changes all the time):

15. shredder

shredder Member

With virtual workspaces, I like how you can mouse cursor to this thing at the bottom of the dock - then scroll wheel - and it switches desktop. No clicks required. [standard ubuntu]

[​IMG]

So I have 2 multi-monitor vd's (not that vd), and just zwige between them at will by using that quick gesture.

It doesn't sound like much, but not having to click is pretty cool, and really fast once you've muscle-memoried it.

16. ae00711

ae00711 Member

is there a trick to moving files between host and VB VMs? I have all the usual check-boxes checked (bidirectional this and that blahblahblah)

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

VM should just be another server on network which still requires network shares, unless you have shared local storage that is accessible from file system with appropriate privileges.

18. ae00711

ae00711 Member

got it working by dedicating a NIC to VMs
    I originally dialed in settings etc on both host and VMs, didn't work. Dedicated a NIC, and hey presto, all of a sudden everything was a-ok

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

:thumbup:

Can also create alias interface on 1 nic and setup a route.

20. Revenger

Revenger Member

Put Manjaro Deepin on a Chuwei Lapbook 15" and seems to be running ok for a laptop that is non standard with usb boot drives and drivers etc.
    I used Etcher to put the iso on USB which works as Yumi didn't boot.
    Don't know what I am going to use it for.

I sent some feedback to Deepin as wallpaper doesn't have aspect scaling options which sucks if you have wallpaper at multiple aspect resolutions like I do with anime pics it currently fills the screen by cropping, wallpaper slideshow needs a folder select, as well battery indicator needs a time remaining. So hope they add those in in a later version