Perpetual Linux Distro Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Geo, Mar 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Michael Larabel's answering my question for me :p. Looks like fedora's about to ditch it and canonical not far around the corner

2. domsmith

domsmith Member

Have you installed/updated the latest guest tools that go with the version of virtual box your currently running. Should be lots of guides just search for virtual box drag and drop.

3. ae00711

ae00711 Member

naturally

what's the go-to solution for LAN remote login?

I RDP from Linux into Windows 8, but the window is some crappy 800x600 box, would like to use entire monitor

4. Revenger

Revenger Member

If Microsoft remote desktop is on Linux in your repository there's a option to use your monitors resolution which locks/logs out the physical user I remote into a test Server 2019 install on a vm and can use triple monitors.

There's also NoMachine which is my prefered client for remoting into Linux VM's and XRDP etc as its fast and much better than VNC etc.

If you remoting into a VM use vmvga / GPU virtio / QXL can work also.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

ssh x11 forwarding lol

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Looks like RHEL8 is out today, timed nicely with the ink drying on the IBM/RedHat buyout contract.

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I wonder why they've stuck with GCC 8.2, not 8.3...

8. elvis

I'd say because it's RHEL, and they've been in beta for over a year. GCC 8.3 only went gold in February, which would have been too recent to make their package freeze for RHEL 8.0.

A quick glance at the GCC 8.3 changelog also suggests the only major bugs fixed in that release were for Windows.

No doubt they'll change for RHEL 8.1.

9. kogi

kogi Member

10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

11. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

yum is still probably an order of magnitude slower than APK, apk is the fastest package manager I've used

12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

What about total payload size and memory usage? I don't have much confidence in RH's ability to trim the fat, but I'll be happy if my prejudice isn't supported by experience in testing.

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

depends what they're using as pid 1, article is light on the details but ubi-init says to me they're shipping with a full init system (probab systemd) so it's going to be bloated

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I don't usually get excited by a patch but this one made me squeal...
    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=cb6f8739fbf98203d0fb0bc2c2dbbec0ddfe978a
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.2-vmalloc-Performance
    Oh my, this makes my embedded heart jump a beat or too.

15. elvis

Good interview with Mark Shuttleworth, BFDL of Ubuntu, about the "Linux desktop", and what he's learned over the years.

flu!d likes this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I can't help but find myself agreeing with everything Shuttleworth says...

17. elvis

Ditto. And I've said as much so many times before - "fragmentation" is a short sighted analysis. When you present an infinitely customisable thing to a group of people who like to customise things, you get diversity. That's not a limitation. That's a strength.

It's like saying the word document ecosystem is too fragmented because everyone writes a different document. It's clear that's the intent - a tool that lets people create diverse content. When it's an application, it's fine. When it's an operating system, everyone loses their minds.

And ditto for his analysis of who the "target market" is for desktop Linux. It's not "normal people". Never has been, never will be. It's either businesses or organisations who want to roll out kiosk-style specific desktops for specific purposes, or engineers, developers and other technical folk who want an environment that's infinitely customisable, configurable and can be tweaked to their very individual needs, rather than what some corporate deems average enough for the masses.

And making tools for specific audiences is not a failure. Not having majority market share isn't a failure. Desktop Linux as a user base in the tens of millions, and that's a customer base any business would be happy to have.

GumbyNoTalent and flu!d like this.
  18. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Well said my friend.

Agreed 100%, the apparent fragmentation of Linux is it's strength - Unlike Windows users and Gnome developers I wouldn't have it any other way.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Shuttleworth is a good bloke, but 18.04 netplan in a LTS release is bordering on Potering-isk.

20. elvis

Hahaha agreed. So may issues in that release.

19.04 and up fixes many things, however. But that doesn't help me struggling with 18.04 and all of the netplan + systemd-resolved + openvpn dramas I'm facing right now.

systemd annoys me in that it has made so many fucking stupid mistakes that were trivially avoidable by anyone older than 20 who has an ounce of experience with real computing environments. But at least those mistakes are being fixed now, even if they could have been avoided in the first place with a bit of proper governance.