1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Perpetual Linux Distro Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Geo, Mar 30, 2002.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

3. Revenger

Revenger Member

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Might not even be a legitimate one. I've worked on films where desktop OSes were 100% VFX and the actor just, well, acted.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

looks familiar, like something I've actually used in the distant past.
    looks very much like a gnome 2 desktop

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I haven't heard this joke before!
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...book-why-are-cached-man-pages-a-security-risk
    Also found the security risk of cached man pages quite laughable, especially novice sysadmin blindly using a man page and not stack overflow these days. :rolleyes:

7. mjunek

mjunek Member

I think you're on the money.
    However - it appears to be flipped horizontally on the screen. The "folder" icon on the desktop looks whack.

I thought maybe it was the whole scene flipped, but his numpad is on the keyboard looks correct.

8. Revenger

Revenger Member

I just looked a bit more at the image and recognised a icon in the taskbar.
    The spanner and screwdriver it's from gnome settings it seems.

The menu icon you can just see is kind like a A looking online it appears Arch as it looks like that icon with the bridge.

Screenshot_2021-07-03-23-14-15-264_com.miui.home-01.jpeg
    arch.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    mjunek likes this.
  9. mjunek

mjunek Member

So with the CentOS Streams announcement that has been previously discussed, what have people been moving to?
    I've yet to take a look at Rocky Linux, with its initial version released a week and half ago.

At home I'm more of a Debian/OpenSUSE person for my personal servers/desktops. However, for work labs (mimicking prod RHEL - vendor only supports this) - 'm trying to work out what to move the home labs to.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

you can sign up for free* RHEL for home/lab/dev use.

work is partners with RHEL, so we get all the licenses we need for lab/dev work. at home, my server is centos7 and will I guess remain that way until I figure out what to do going forward. I need a stable kernel that supports ZFS, so that'll be a key decision point. I use Fedora desktop, and having to recompile modules every update is a PITA, especially when Fedora goes to the latest kernel, that ZFS don't yet support.

as Rocky is RHEL compatible as CentOS should've been, I'll probably go that way.

*I guess until IBM change their mind again

11. elvis

Pretty much every large CentOS site I know it's either in the process of migrating to Rocky, or are planning it. Rocky Linux includes a number of ex CentOS devs, and has the pedigree to succeed.

You can do the migration live just by changing your repo lists. I've done this in the past migrating between CentOS, Scientific and RHEL. No need to clean install if you've got "pet" servers instead of "cattle".

GumbyNoTalent and cvidler like this.
  12. mjunek

mjunek Member

Thanks for the insights both. I'll start having a play with Rocky then :)

What are thoughts on Oracle Linux, being another RHEL copy?

13. elvis

Too many differences from RHEL/CentOS if you're looking for a perfect clone.

If you just want "supported enterprise Linux", then just check the compatibility and pricing. SLES is another option there too (working with a large HPC site on SLES, and the support level is decent).

14. mjunek

mjunek Member

Yeah fair enough. I might stick to getting Rocky going then. Time to download!

'Official' vendor support of this application suite is only RHEL, with minimum available for CentOS. Not that I'd be going for support on a homelab style situation, but knowing how this software works, it's likely to have some hard-coded RHEL only information in it that something other than a near-perfect clone will have issues with.

15. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

What's the fidelity like with Almalinux? The speed with which they got their infrastructure up indicates a very organized effort, preexisting assets in the domain, or both.

16. elvis

Never heard of it, but a quick Google says AlmaLinux was released by CloudLinux who are a commercial mob who were doing in-DC CentOS hosting since 2010. That at least answers the "pre-existing" question.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

one of the non-technical pros for Rocky is they've put in their founding constitution, to never be controlled by any one organisation. So you won't have the rug pulled in the future because there'll be no big business takeover in the future (/poor summation).

https://rockylinux.org/community-charter/

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

How Debian of them.

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

yeah, I don't think anyone predicted RedHat would be bought out like it was. And CentOS and RedHat had a long mutually beneficial relationship. So they've learnt their lesson on that one.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Its called the Microsoft effect, play nice for a while then start to modify the landscape from within to the benefit of Microsoft, replaces their FUD policy that failed and the "give it away for free until there are no competitors" but that one is useless against FOSS.

I have no animosity toward Redhat other than paying Lennart Poettering the only German who failed quality control in preschool (apologies to any offended Germans but you people, my people are very anal about QA). They have always been for profit so there is no about face, just a tactical change that makes them the center of the Linux universe after the kernel thanks to systemd adaptation, and their increased buddy buddy with MS.