1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Pespex test bench attempt.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Reins, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Reins

Reins Member

Got a bit bored over the holidays and had a sheet or two of perspex laying around that I thought I might as well put to good use. Had a go at a 'test bench' setup.

Super roughly cut, and my slightly pissed drilling is a little off, but I'm happy with the result.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the cable management. Thinking about taking it apart and making it flat, so I can separate it over two or three 'levels'.

Specs:
    CPU - i5 4670k @ 4.5GHz
    GPU - EVGA 980ti Classified with a little OC.
    MOBO - AsRock Fata1lty H87
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz
    SSD - Samsung 850EVO 250GB
    HDD - WD Black 1TB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mounting solution to hold the GPU upright and stable. Not too bad.

[​IMG]

Cable management needs some work!

[​IMG]

Here you can see the motherboard standoffs and how the drilled holes look from the side. I rushed a little and you can see that the board chipped when I tried to drill it too close to the edge, so I had to inlay the mounting screws a little bit, which resulted in too many holes being drilled, but oh well. It's a learning experience!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is on the desk!

First time in many years I have worked with perspex. I forgot how finicky it is! Can't wait to have another go and take a bit more time to ensure everything is a bit cleaner and more precise!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. im late

im late Member

Very nice. :thumbup:

3. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

That is cool as shit. I think it would look nicer as it is on an angle than flat but to each their own :thumbup:

4. Defyant

Defyant Member

Good job :thumbup:

weldon 4 is your friend dont waist time with drilling and screwing :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Reins

Reins Member

Thankyou!

I think I agree with you. Looks a bit more interesting.

I have some of that stuff at home, but it requires super smooth edges to make good contact and I knew my bandsaw skills wouldn't be up to scratch without some sanding. I was a bit limited by time in my friends workshop so I had to just smash it out.

I think the drilled holes look pretty cool, despite them all being a little crooked!

6. GDavid

GDavid Member

Need to build a quick one, but that looks great the angling is a good idea in terms of function...

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I wouldn't recommend having that SATA drive flipped upside down for usage; short or long term wise.