Pespex test bench attempt.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Reins, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Reins

Reins Member

Got a bit bored over the holidays and had a sheet or two of perspex laying around that I thought I might as well put to good use. Had a go at a 'test bench' setup.

Super roughly cut, and my slightly pissed drilling is a little off, but I'm happy with the result.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the cable management. Thinking about taking it apart and making it flat, so I can separate it over two or three 'levels'.

Specs:
    CPU - i5 4670k @ 4.5GHz
    GPU - EVGA 980ti Classified with a little OC.
    MOBO - AsRock Fata1lty H87
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz
    SSD - Samsung 850EVO 250GB
    HDD - WD Black 1TB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mounting solution to hold the GPU upright and stable. Not too bad.

[​IMG]

Cable management needs some work!

[​IMG]

Here you can see the motherboard standoffs and how the drilled holes look from the side. I rushed a little and you can see that the board chipped when I tried to drill it too close to the edge, so I had to inlay the mounting screws a little bit, which resulted in too many holes being drilled, but oh well. It's a learning experience!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is on the desk!

First time in many years I have worked with perspex. I forgot how finicky it is! Can't wait to have another go and take a bit more time to ensure everything is a bit cleaner and more precise!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. im late

im late Member

Very nice. :thumbup:

3. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

That is cool as shit. I think it would look nicer as it is on an angle than flat but to each their own :thumbup:

4. Defyant

Defyant Member

Good job :thumbup:

weldon 4 is your friend dont waist time with drilling and screwing :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Reins

Reins Member

Thankyou!

I think I agree with you. Looks a bit more interesting.

I have some of that stuff at home, but it requires super smooth edges to make good contact and I knew my bandsaw skills wouldn't be up to scratch without some sanding. I was a bit limited by time in my friends workshop so I had to just smash it out.

I think the drilled holes look pretty cool, despite them all being a little crooked!

6. GDavid

GDavid Member

Need to build a quick one, but that looks great the angling is a good idea in terms of function...

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I wouldn't recommend having that SATA drive flipped upside down for usage; short or long term wise.