Pet mince: To cook or not to cook?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Embercide, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Embercide

Embercide Member

We've been feeding our blue healer X kelpie on a raw food diet ('BARF' or 'Leading Raw') but based on how much he eats its getting quite expensive ;)

Today we picked up a few kilos of pet mince from Super Butcher and a kilo of homebrand frozen veges with the intention of making our own dog food. Wifey is of the opinion that we should cook the mince incase it has raw pork/chicken etc but my argument is he can handle the salmonella because he wouldn't be having a BBQ in the wild.

Do you cook your pet mince?

2. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

no. i make my own dog food as well based on a 50/50 of kangaroo and cheap beef mince. then add 20% cooked rice and then frozen peas. to keep up the dogs calcium i also give her fresh chicken necks daily.

be careful with mixed veg as onion and capsicum can be harmful and broccoli will make the dog fart ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

another question I forgot to throw in is raw chicken frames. Our friends feed their staffy raw chicken frames but my wife is concerned bones could get caught in his throat after seeing something on Bondi Vet.. Opinions on that?

4. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

i don't use frames... not for any particular reason. i tend to make batches with portions looking like big rissoles and then freeze. pulling a pair out of the freezer every night for the following day saves on space. a pack of necks don't take up much in the fridge where as a bag of carcases would steel the beer shelf.

5. Linkin

Linkin Member

Getting caught? No, scratching their throat? Yes. Same thing happened to our cat.

6. JugV2

JugV2 Member

It also depends on the size of dog.

You wouldn't give a toy/small dog a whole chicken frame, but I used to feed my Doberman a chicken frame most days. Bigger dogs can handle a whole frame, just chop one up for a smaller dog.

As for mince, I would stick to raw food as much as possible. All of our dogs are on raw and it's probably the best thing for them. Chuck a spoon of Missing Link on it maybe?

Chicken necks are the go also - especially for a smaller dog. Our butcher gives us a box of 3KG for $5 or something silly. and we just bag them up and freeze them.

7. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

Being a cattle dog X kelpie he's not exactly small (nor big), so I should be fine to give him a half chicken frame? :thumbup:

8. Shags

Shags Member

Broccoli makes dogs fart ? that would explain a few things, my dog regularly lets go of rotten ones, i thought it was because of the breed though (British Bulldog)

We cook our pet mince, mix it with frozen veggies, whenever we give our dog something different he throws it up, that may be because he hasn't been exposed to a lot of different foods and has been babied.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

I am innocent of all charges!

You don't have to worry about bugs in the meat. My dogs bury their lamb offcuts and only dig them up to eat when they are stinking rotten.

10. lolpigs

lolpigs Member

Whole eggs are also brilliant for their coat. My Rotti's would eat it whole but you could crack it onto a fussy dogs food. Even with a big dog I would bash up the chicken frames a bit becuase mine were hoovers and likley to scratch their throats on them beucase they forgot to breathe while eating.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I'd give him a whole frame. He'll be fine.

Just like kids you have to expose dogs to a wide range of food when they're young, or at least as much as possible.

12. rdamage

rdamage Member

I cook my pet mince just a few minutes on the gas hotplate. I only do this because the dog much prefers it cooked. For some reason he never acquired the taste for raw meat in fact, if he does eat raw meat, whether chicken or beef he invariably vomits it back up.

13. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

No.

Rotten meat can bother dogs quite a bit actually. Just because it doesn't occur a lot does not mean it "doesn't bother them in the slightest". Yes dogs in the "wild" eat rotten stuff, doesn't mean it is healthy at all, and by no means does it indicate they don't get ill.

Garlic does nothing to fleas, and if in large amounts can be toxic to the dog.

to OP: if you would like to cook the meat, go for it. There is nothing inherently better about the meat being raw versus cooked.

14. lolpigs

lolpigs Member

Edited 10 Char

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  15. Exogen

Exogen (Taking a Break)

My dog had a genetic skin condition that we kept under control by making our own mince. We would use beef or chicken, with rice peas and sometimes carrot (she was a strange dog). We'd cook a large batch (never gave it to her raw) and would also give her a couple of chicken necks or a wing.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion, your best advice would probably come from a vet or the RSPCA. :)

16. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

We used to give our Goldie a raw frame and she would chomp it no problems

We feed her raw bones, chicken necks and beef. Occasionally she gets a bit of human mince when we have it, but I'm not overly keen on giving this all the time as it can have a high percentage of fat in it (even the premium stuff)

On the digging up of old meat/bones. If she doesnt feel like her bone, she will bury it and dig it up later, sometimes weeks later! She only has smelly breath for a while. If it is really gross, maybe some fluffs, thats it :thumbup:

With broccoli, it can also also make them itchy. We took it out of her diet and the itching stopped!

17. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Holy cow! Where do you buy that?!

18. Merudo

Merudo Member

millhouse is a vet, i believe?

19. Marksman X

Marksman X Member

I believe you are correct

20. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Common sense says that garlic will have no effect on fleas. So just reading your statement if the fleas weren't killed (or anything) by the garlic what the hell use was it? It lessened their activity? So by that you mean you still saw fleas on your dogs, but they were more relaxed?

Common sense says you don't give any animal any rotten meat at any time. Why would common sense say that it is OK to give on some occassions and not others? You've never treated a dog with E.coli or some other bacterial enteritis shitting itself to death have you?

Uh huh. But Exogen is correct, everyone does have an opinion on food. If there is one topic that people get antsy about it is feeding dogs. Because everyone has a fed a dog or two in there lifetime they all become experts.

In the end I certainly have relxed my attitudes towards foods. I certainly still believe that the premium foods provide excellent nutrition for the vast majority of dogs. However it is not to say dogs can't live a generally well life eating what I would consider a crap diet (rotten meat, chicken necks/frames and garlic for instance).