Pet tech

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by broccoli, Oct 27, 2018.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

I've now seen everything.... :D

I went to JB Hifi today and they had a stand with devices for your pets. One was a dog thing that talks to your dog and spits out treats, another was a pet fitness tracker and another was for playing with your cat using your phone somehow.

Anyone seen these things in action?

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

nope
    and i won't look for them either lol

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

There's probably a reason why they're not already well known.

4. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I think they're new out. I just couldn't believe it. I'd love to know what the market for this shit is like. I just had visions of the "treat robot" chewed to pieces on the floor with the dog. :D

5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The feeder I can understand, but the fitness tracker...

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I suppose it's to see how much running about the dog does when it's on its own? In my experience, pretty much none....

7. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

there is quite a large market for this type of stuff, the pet feeding camera market is very successful in the US - it is aimed at people who live in an apartment and their dog is left inside all day. basically you can talk to you do, see your dog and feed you dog. They detect barking and alert you via an app that your dog is barking.

"Pet cameras" is generally are becoming very common - people want to know what their pets are upto when they are not around. They are part of the family, so people are curious.

8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I've sometimes been tempted to get those feeders that only open when they detect the right pet's microchip... Cause stopping one of our cats stealing the other cat's food is a full time job :p

9. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

We have a smart cat door :) It reads the microchips in the cats and only opens to let in ours, it also auto locks on a schedule so they are kept in at night. (if they manage to get out a door/windows otherwise they still get in after hours too).

Sureflap if anyone is interested.

10. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I think the "smart" doors and feeders have a purpose, I just don't really get the "talk and feed" one I saw the other day. That's what we do. I suppose if you get stuck at work, it can "babysit" until you get home, but I don't want some machine handing out the treats, that's my job :D

11. scon

scon Member

We took our dogs to a kennel here in California that had one of those camera/treatbots. It was pretty good until Doza started getting curious to where the treats were actually coming from... He didn't destroy it but we were a little worried he might! :D

12. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I can imagine a dog at home, alone, with one, clever and strong, could have it in pieces, eventually. :D

13. power

power Member

be careful what you wish for, i had a camera setup to watch my cat once it was depressing af. he basically waited all day for me to come home. it made me sad.

it was a big part of the reason i now have 2 cats, they keep each other company when we aren't around.

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Cats sleep a lot, naturally, and they can be quite content as a solitary cat. I'm also a big believer in my animals having animal "friends". When I got my first dog, she'd be so over-excited when I got home I'd have to have her walk right then and there. After I got her her "brother", she was like "meh, hi, have a good day?" and back to whatever they were doing. I don't think dogs adapt to being alone as well as cats might.
    My poor new cat wants to be friends with my old grumpy cat, but she'd rather be on her own and rebuffs the poor little thing. Even so, she's got "company", even if the company's not very friendly towards her.

15. power

power Member

to be fair he was very clingy too and was with me all of the time i was home as well, but yeah would wait near the front door most of the day. it was interesting to see, and wasn't why i set it up but it just made me want to work from home full time or something like that.

i can see why people want these cameras, cats and dogs can be very important and wanting to check in on them is akin to having a baby monitor imho.

16. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

How was he after you got him his "sibling"? Did that behaviour change?
    My mum adopted this stray. He was a mess. Siamese, and he was really unattractive, he'd obviously had a hard life. He used to follow her about the house. Unfortunately, he was so old and decrepit that she'd have been up to the loo and on her way back when he'd just started on his journey. :D
    Some cats are more "people-oriented" than others. I think siamese and burmese tend to be more like that. More "social". And then you get ones like my old grumpy pants who would like nothing better than to be sole pet.
    I can understand putting up a webcam to check on them (I used to like seeing the footage on that dog show with the dogs up to no good), but these new do-dads go further than that.

17. power

power Member

He passed away earlier this year, i now have two newbies. He wouldn't have taken to new animals i don't think.

18. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

oh ok, I misunderstood, I thought you got him a "friend". I think it's better to get 2. I got 2 when the orphanage person suggested I take my Lizzie as well. It is easier to bring them home together than to get a new one in an existing one's territory.

power likes this.