1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

pfsense and chromecast

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Mayfield, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Hello all

I'm having trouble trying to get a chromecast to work with my pfsense router and was wondering if anyone out there has a chromecast working with pfsense and can help shed some light on what i'm not doing right.

I've tested the chromecast with another router(a generic optus router) with success so the problem must be with my settings/rules in pfsense,

any help will be much appreciated.

2. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

Is the pfsense device blocking outbound traffic by default - You might be blocking it's ability to do DNS lookups again 8.8.8.8?

If a chromecast can't talk to google nameservers (or at least made to think it is), it goes weird and won't tell you what's going on. (ie, it'll boot at sit there with just a background image)

Beyond that, your pfsense box won't be stopping it from working - beyond it trying to reach out the internet, and being denied from doing so

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mayfield

Mayfield Member

What has been happening is I run through the setup using the google home app, chromecast displays a code on the tv which is the same as the iphone I'm using and then I'm asked to select a network (my pfsense wifi) which I do and then it says 'connecting to wifi' and then the app on the phone displays a 'something went wrong screen' with an option to try again. If I 'try again' the process repeats I never get to the stage where I have to enter the wifi password.

Interesting that in the DHCP leases on pfsense I can see the ip address that has been given to the chromecast yet I cannot ping it from my laptop which it on the same subnet and when I have run through this setup using the optus router the next step is the one that asks for the wifi password. The problem is the chromecast for some reason can't connect to the pfsense network.

I have been using pihole as an adblocker which works very well and I have disabled that for now thinking maybe that was the problem.

4. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

What is your outbound firewall policy on this pfsense box? Does it allow DNS out to anything? Also ping?

If you have a lease for the chromecast, then it has indeed connected to the network, it is unlikely to be some issue with your wifi.

Being unable to ping the chromecast isn't odd - it may just be that it isn't replying when in setup mode..
    You could ping the chromecast, if it doesn't reply - check your laptops arp table - should have the mac address.

I keep mentioning DNS, as I had similar issues. Chromecasts ignores your DNS options in the dhcp offer, and uses 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. If these are blocked (like I do), then your chromecast thinks it can't connect to the internet

Check both ping and dns from your laptop (whilst connected to your pfsense network), ie;

nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8 and
    ping 8.8.8.8

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    MUTMAN and T1tan like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mayfield

Mayfield Member

OK I just got home

C:\Users\mayfi>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=60
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 7ms

C:\Users\mayfi>nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8
    Server: dns.google
    Address: 8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: google.com
    Addresses: 2404:6800:4015:801::200e

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

While not specific to anything you've mentioned, I had exactly this behaviour the other day setting up an old Chromecast on a new network until I forced a factory reset using the button on the dongle.

andrewbt and MUTMAN like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mayfield

Mayfield Member

OK I've managed to get this to work without really understanding what I'm doing, my background is not in IT.
    I have been over the last few nights been adjusting various settings and then running through the setup and just now have ticked Allow intra-BSS communication and bingo chromecast is now working.

[​IMG]

andrewbt likes this.
  8. callan

callan Member

That setting is great when running a guest network - but for home networks, not so much.

9. OP
    OP
    Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Why is that? Is it because traffic can pass between clients instead of passing through the router?

I've been reading through the Netgate literature and found this - Interesting as I had trouble with our wifi printer during the lockdown and at preset is still sitting next to the router. I may have better luck now.

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/wireless/byod.html

10. callan

callan Member

With "guests" connected to your WiFI you typically don't want them messing around (or even seeing) other devices on your network - you're ONLY giving them access to the Internet.
    Casting with a Chromecast (or DLNA), however the phone/tablet/whatever needs to communicate directly with the Chromecast, to send it the URL for the DLNA or other stream. If the Chromecast is fenced off from other wireless devices on the network it won't be able to receive these (or any other control information, either)

andrewbt likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Mayfield

Mayfield Member

OK so how would a chromecast work with intra-BSS communication disabled? Should the chromecast have a static IP with firewall rules?

12. callan

callan Member

Works at a different network "layer". It wouldn't matter if the devices were using TCP/IP or some other protocol (yes there are others), wifi isolation works the same.