pfsense hardware recommendations

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by crimsonmind, Feb 27, 2017.

1. crimsonmind

crimsonmind Member

Hi All,

I have an old PC that I have running as a pfsense router. It has seen its day and not handling the load and in turn making our internet unusable.

As such I am looking build another purpose build box (instead of repurposing and old desktop), so I would like some suggestions on a motherboard given these specifications:
    • ITX
    • Dual onboard Gigabit NICs
    • PCIe with high bus speed
    • looking to install an Intel i3 chipset
    • minimum of 2 years old (doesn't have to the latest)
    • $100-$150 max price range (see previous point)

As it is going to be a router it doesn't need to be seriously powered, so the last or generation before that chipset will be fine.
    Other hardware I will be using
    • 60G SSD
    • 8Gig RAM
    • 4 port Intel PCIe NIC card
    • low power Power supply

Appreciate your input

Thanks
    S

2. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Intel D2550 AIO with 4 ethernet ports $129 USD delivered ( or +$25 for an extra 2 ethernet ports)

I'd just pickup a small pre built unit and save your parts for another project tbh. There are plenty of mini PCs with a single ethernet port for < $100.
    I'd spend a bit more and get a multi port version though...
    4 port, ready to go for $165USD

I have a J1900 based unit at home. Running a 100mbps cable internet, hundreds of thousands of firewall rules (thanks pfBlocker) ~100 openvpn clients and server to a half dozen openvpn connections (ontop of squid, dns and everything else it does)... Sits around 10 to 20% usage

3. OP
    OP
    crimsonmind

crimsonmind Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at those suggestions.

With the pfsense hardware, I have been led to believe they don't cut it under a decent load? so i wasn't keen on going that direction. Can you advise differently?

the theory was to be able to have a machine I could use later for something else, in the event I take pfsense out of the network.

S

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

An alternative would be an edgerouter lite... they're about $150aud, and it'll almost certainly outperform a pfsense box...

5. OP
    OP
    crimsonmind

crimsonmind Member

Quadbox, I have looked at the Edgerouter lite, it's great hardware I agree. But I'm not sold on the software.
    I've read around and can't find anything solid that says you can run pfsense on Edgerouter. If I had a solid answer on that I'd get it on a heart beat.

Cheers
    S

6. Travisty

Travisty Member

I'm currently in the same boat, I am looking at building a pfsense machine, that is low in power consumption overall and that will cost me less than 300AUD as I can get my hands on a pre-built for 300.

7. OP
    OP
    crimsonmind

crimsonmind Member

I ended up buying one of these from Aliexpress
    NEW Mini pc X86 4*Lan Qotom-Q190G4N with celeron J1900 quad core 4*usb VGA firewall Multi-function router
    https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=82456091496604&productId=32785346279

I purchased the 8G RAM 128G SSD version for $215 plus delivery, totalling $250.

So far so good, I've run up the config and its working fine. I'm yet to load test it, but from all reports it handles 1000x more than I will throw at it with regular use.

Cheers
    S

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

here's a working link

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...re-2-usb-VGA-firewall/108231_32598483952.html

9. Travisty

Travisty Member

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of digging around and I worked out that it's going to cost around 200-250AUD easily, to build something that will consume minimal power, that's with an AM1 board, a 25W CPU, 150W PicoPSU, 16GB mSata SSD etc and some of this stuff has to be sourced from China.

I could easily put together a pfsense build out of my spare parts laying around in my room but the only issue with that is, it would chew the electricity running 24/7.

I can't seem to find any J1800, J1850, J1900 or J2900 by Intel to buy locally here either, otherwise any of those would be a decent option too.

10. wwwww

wwwww Member

Considered virtualising it? If you have enough grunt on your PC (and it's always on) create a VM to do the task.

11. samus

samus Member

12. OP
    OP
    crimsonmind

crimsonmind Member

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member