Phanteks EVOLV SHIFT Build

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by zwatton, Feb 10, 2020.

1. zwatton

zwatton Member

Hello fellas, finally started looking at m-itx stuff and have basically settled on this build:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9NPhFG

CPU: 3700x
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
    Ram: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 (probably not the most cost-effective ram but it looks so good and seems to be worth the extra $100 :p)
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular
    Case: Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT + 1 EVOLV SHIFT Air Mesh Panel
    GPU: Asus 1080ti (blower card)
    Case Fans: ??

Just a couple issues/questions

1. Is the 3700x a bit too much of an overkill? I heard that some people had issues cooling it with the low profile noctua, and I won't be over-clocking, so would it be better to get a 2700x or a 3600?
    2. Is it worth it spending an extra 30 or 40 for a 120mm aio? Or is air the way to go for this
    3. What are some high quality case fans, I need 3 x 140 because the included ones aren't that high quality. I don't really care about RGB, but they would be nice!
    4. Does everything look good here? :p

2. asho444

asho444 Member

Yea, that's more of a low power cooler, to get the most out of that cpu you need something beefier.
    The be quite shadow Rock is a great low profile cooler which will also blow decent air onto your xhipset.
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products...Hhou4X9fjC7_LTifndJhjOSN1dG8bE-RoC7aYQAvD_BwE

Otherwise like stated an aio will be leagues ahead of the little noctua that could.

As for fans, these be quite are nice and quite too and can be controlled through the pwm controller on your board
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/45989/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-140mm-pwm-high-speed-fan

3. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

Ah... Cool, I have quite a lot of power so I think the be-quiet one will be better for sure. As for 120mm I've gotten mixed feedback (some say it wont work in mitx) so I'm not 100% sure if I should get one. I think for air options, it would be nh-l12s vs Shadow Rock. I would like like the nh one but the fan is sooo ugly :(

I would probably go for a NZXT M22 if I am going 120mm but still not sure about the performance as well...

Those fans look great! I'd probably go for them if I can end up finding a good rgb alternative.

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

you know you can fit a MUCH TALLER cooler in

5. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

no, that's the shift X (around 20cm taller) and it lets you put a 240mm rad. I'm getting the smaller version which only let's you do double 120mm rads

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I mean you have 82mm of height to play with which lets you run air coolers that will be quieter than the GPU by a mile.

7. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

8. asho444

asho444 Member

9. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

yeah i better for 230... jeeezzzzzz

10. asho444

asho444 Member

Shit you binged out on the ram why not the cooler too, altho can you see it through the mesh?

11. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

yeah, i'm installing mesh gpu side, cpu side will be glass. although, i'm now struggling to find fans that work with asus sync.. also had to dish out extra 80 for rog mobo... ahhhhh fuckkk

12. asho444

asho444 Member

13. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

dont think the deepcool will work, rad max size is 120mm and i got the 120mm for that reason. i want to find a pack of 3 120mm fans that work with asorus link so the search begins.

14. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

15. asho444

asho444 Member

Fwi, it's cheaper to buy 3 of this Silverstone fans which at arguable better due to static pressure and air flow for marginally more sound

zwatton likes this.
  16. argent

argent Member

zwatton likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

Cheers both of you, especially argent! The build guide you had was actually very useful in talking about temps, etc.

I've done a lot more research (been falling behind in my studies a bit now due to this :((), and I've decided on this- https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/DdJLFG

Almost a whole re-design actually. I tried to be a bit more cost-effective (I didn't want to pay extra 200 bucks for ROG stuff) and ended up going back to good old gigabyte. The build is now

CPU: R5 3600, got a cheaper cpu since I don't really need the performance benefits and it will be too hard to cool. I can undervolt this, play with some settings and get pretty good performance whilst keeping temps low and keeping sound low (I essentially want something less then 35 DB idle, since it's around 30cm from my chair.
    CPU Cooler: Silverstone PF120-ARGB - this came down to nzxt, corsair ones all being tilted 90 degrees and the logo getting on my OCD, with a CPU cooler with a symmetrical logo/RGB, issue is fixed!
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Sliver 5 - simply the best, I've tried thermal pads vs this and it always performs well. Liquid metal is a bit scary for me to play with :p
    Mobo: Gigabyte X570-1 - wanted a mobo that would support Ryzen 4000, since I'll likely be doing an upgrade next year and throwing the 3600 in a bedroom PC.
    Memory: Trident Z Neo (2X16), 3600MHZ - couldn't find anyone with 32gbs of royals in stock. Going to try get some off the forum, if you have any hit me up! I'm happy to pay a nice price for them, or trade this pair + cash :)). Those diamonds are just too pretty...
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) - might as well take advantage of the fan for the M.2 slot, seems to be worth the ~60 bucks over a 2.5inch drive.
    GPU: This is a bit of a dilemma, since I have 2 GPUs I can use, a 2060 super or 1080ti asus blower card. I don't really care about performance, any of those 2 will be fine, more noise/thermals. argent , would you recommend using a blower card (since you used one as well)?
    PSU: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Plat - don't think a lot of other PSUs at this price range come with pre-sleeved cables, don't mind paying 30-50 bucks for corsair quality.
    Fans: LL120RGB - really low DB, great colours, should work with the mobo (I think there are enough connectors), only problem, they cost 130 bucks! :(
    Custom: Corsair RGB LEDS - cheap kit, comes with 4 so I can throw 3 on the corners of the tempered glass, and also one under the mobo and them nice effects.

Any thoughts about this build? Also, where did you guys buy the evo-shift. I can't seem to find stock anywhere :(

18. argent

argent Member

I purchased my Shift from PCCG. But I think you'll struggle to find a TG Shift right now - most have been replaced by the Air. With the GPU, I definitely found it useful as it acted an additional exhaust to use a blower - but it wasn't enough for me as I was trying to cool an 8700K which is hot hot hot. The sandwich design doesn't allow a lot of airflow from the top front fan to penetrate through the middle though. However with a blower card, the fan will be inline with the bottom front panel fan to feed. Just bear in mind that the Asus 1080ti blower cooler (same as mine) is absolute shite lol.

19. OP
    OP
    zwatton

zwatton Member

20. argent

argent Member

Well done - if ever there was any real critique would just be cable management. Otherwise it's good.