Phanteks Shift build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Tazor, Sep 18, 2017.

?

What Radiator configuration should I go with?

Poll closed Monday at 9:18 AM.
  1. 2 x EK SE 120 Radiators in the bottom

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3 x 120mm Radiators (exact models still to be decided) with slim fans and modded front panel

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 1 thick and 1 thin 120mm Rad in the bottom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 thick and 2 thin, balls to the wall and probably impossible.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Jesus, is it just starving for air in there or is the heatsink just not up to the task? Big TDP I suppose, the hot Vega on the back won't be helping much either :p Do you like the 64 for gaming? Goes well?

Sidegrade sounds good, bit of a shame as having all that power packed in there was awesome, but hey I know the feeling of wasted hardware well and the extra change will be handy ;)

2. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

It was pretty awesome, but trying to cool the CPU was a chore and the fact the Kelvin wasn't mounting just pushed me too far.
    The Vega is amazing for 1440p gaming, yeah. Although I wouldn't mind one of the board partner versions or an AIO block for it... Stock cooler is loud.

Thing about the 8400 is it's cooler, will be quieter and less power hungry, but in gaming will perform pretty much the same as the 2700X... So it was power going to waste.

3. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Okay so I have got my 8400 and B360i, missus picked em up today.
    So I'm gonna give the Fractal Kelvin T12 another shot tonight and hopefully have no issues on the Intel socket.

From there I am going to decide my next route.

part of me is tempted to get an NCase M1 at some point and do an air cooled CPU and use the Kelvin rad with an Eiswolf GPU block and pump to make my own AIO for the Vega, but I just love this shift so damn much haha... I think I will get the Kelvin set up, and might wait a bit until I can get a Vega block and 2 EK SE 120's

I'm not sure what the end game is for this at the moment though.
    Doing a custom loop still bares the unknown issue:

How the fuck do I fill the damn loop?
    My only thought right now is use the build in fill port on the pump with a tube to the top of the case as a makeshift reservoir...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here's a few photos of the re build from tonight

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

428FDA9B-1371-46B9-B571-D7ABA6B4D7F9.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

We're in business lads!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    juzz86 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

6C5A4D5E-B039-4C8C-8F99-584D391ACFD8.jpeg Also here's a shot of how snug the GPU is xD

juzz86 likes this.
  7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Very nice mate, she's tight! Those Phanteks RGB rings look awesome on the Redux! Every time I look I keep wondering what that bloody thing is to the left of your CPU - it's the PCIE ribbon cable :p

Kelvin went alright on 1151?

8. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Like a glove my friend!
    Absolutely no issues with the Kelvin, CPU idles at 18c, although the pump is louder than I'd like and not PWM so I'm using the low noise adapter for now.

Also planning on getting some new cables that use shorty cables with extensions so all the visible cables are beautiful and clean and I want orange accents on the cables.
    But I'm really happy with how it's all looking!
    I think currently I'd really like to change over the tubing too, so when I get the new cables I'll change it to EK ZMT with Nickel fittings.

You can't see it in the shots, but the rad has a drainage port that fit nicely into the bottom side fan mount, so it will be really easy to drain and refill when I do this.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    juzz86 likes this.
  9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

ZMT + Nickel :thumbup::thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I love it! People get so hung up on hardline, but the ZMT being matte black is understated, clean and easy to work with.

I think if I attempted hardline in this case I would run into too many issues and neck myself...

11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It reminds me of the old Norprene stuff, which was rare so every build that used it looked awesome!

I've had ZMT installed for about twelve months now and love it. Got some cheap black rotary barbs (Enzotech maybe?) on clearance at The Kool Room a while back, coupled with some Koolance Nickel clamps - really enjoy the look.

[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

So I think the Kelvin is faulty. Cos my 8400 was overheating just installing drivers, the cooler was correctly installed and was clearly making contact, but the pump was making a massive racket (4000 rpm) but the cpu temp was only going up. I think the pump is faulty but Im just going to warranty it for a refund.

13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, good choice. That's a shame mate.

14. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

And the network adapter on my brand new motherboard isn't detecting and showing as faulty!

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It's not a post-Creators Update thing is it? Broke my Killer NIC at last update - needed a new driver.

16. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

@Mods, can this thread be moved to the build logs section of the OC and Hardware section? It's not going to be getting the extreme cooling treatment and I don't want to deceive anyone!

As a quick note, I am moving my system into a DanCases A4-SFX and will create a seperate build for that, but in this case, I am building a totally different system that is for a friend of mine.
    Will still be a very nice system, but won't be anything crazy, just a clean and powerful beast with the Shift case and a 1080ti.

Stay tuned.

17. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Got the parts for an amazing high powered rebuild for my friend:

image.jpg

18. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Some shots of the build, finished photos coming soon, but much easier to work in with standard parts I must say, and the new owner is VERY happy :D

Attached Files:

19. bobster

bobster Member

Looks good Starting my build this weekend, just waiting for 1180