Phase change questions- can it be quiet? :D

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aussie-revhead, Dec 18, 2012.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, you may have noticed a few things about me, I ask a lot of questions, I like benching and I cycle through a lot of hardware ... Well that isn't about to stop :D

I have had air coolers, various water cooled setups (I have one in the build now), I have benched a couple of times with DICE and I have owned a few phase change coolers. My last phase cooler was a Kayl single stage 1/3hp iirc and it was great but I hate PC noise so I used it a few times and sold it again but I was thinking that if I could build a quiet phase change cooler then I would be very tempted to buy/build one. A few years ago I have a Vapochill XE and this thing was seriously quiet, I reckon it was quieter than my Eheim water pump, and that is pretty quiet. So, can you build a phase change cooler to be very quiet? Who do we have in Aus that still builds phase units? Last I heard Kayl was retired from this scene, so who else can help me? I'm guessing you can't modify an existing rig to make it quiet, I assume condensor size etc will need to be designed specifically for this type of use.

Can this be done? I was looking at this for my 2011 adventures so phase is perfect.

Any help, input, ideas etc would be great...

Cheers

:D

2. Bullants

Bullants Member

Hey aussie,
    have you messaged kayl? i think hes still active,he would be the best one to talk too.I'm sure it could be done but you would probably sacrifice some temps and load for a quite phase change.It would be awesome for a 2011 kit on 24/7 phase @say -30,on the other hand you know they don't come cheap new.Good luck

3. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Can be reasonably quiet depending on the size of the compressor. The old BD50 compressors from the Vapochill days were whisper quiet. But on a modern processor, it's not going to last very long.

If you want both quiet & performance you'll definitely have to build your own. Best bet would be to build a sound deadening box for it :thumbup: Or put it under the house with a LOONG suction line.

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I cant get under my house unless I tunnel under my slab .... :lol:

What about a sick ass cascade with tiny quiet compressors?

I better email kayl

:thumbup:

5. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Wont really work that well with small compressors, especially hermetic. Your going to need rotary's for a strong cascade. Could probably get away with 2 x NL11F's. They are pretty quiet & about as small as you want to go for a cascade.

This is just a benching phaser right? Not daily usage kind of thing?

6. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

You know me, I get some silly ideas sometimes .... yes, leave it on and game with it but yes mostly benching. Boostisbest used to game with his cascade on his E8600 at 6ghz .... nuts...

:lol:

7. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

LoL, yeah it's definitely possible. The problem is it takes to long to cool down. Also an i7 >4Ghz nowdays is pretty much all you need for gaming. Any more & you'll barely notice it. Even 5Ghz on air is possible, any faster is pointless unless your benching.

8. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Definitely, I wont run it hard unless Im benching, cold does amazing things to your 24/7 voltages.

:thumbup:

9. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Sure does, I remember priming 3.2Ghz on my Opty 146 stock volts :lol: Couldn't even hit 3Ghz on air with 1.5v same chip.

I got this bad boy sitting around if you want to have a play.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=14433419&postcount=937

Can't see myself using it anytime soon. I was using it with that total POS Gaygabyte motherboard which was just fail. Reckon you'll go way past 5ghz on a decent mobo.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

How many horsepowers is it?

:p

11. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ha Ha Ha, not really sure. I'd guess around 1/4HP.

It's actually pretty quiet.

12. kayl

kayl Member

im alive just working hard and traveling lots :) not benching anymore instead racing go karts:D
    single stage nf11 best choice in a single stage and noise dampening insulation inside the case
    i have build cascades that are as quiet almost as a SS
    but soon as a pipe or something touches something there is a small vibration
    ln2 is the best option for those sort of temps just need all the gear

13. Geno

Geno Member

Highly recommend SS on the Danfoss NF11 compressor with respect to performance vs db. This phase setup is much quieter then my previous setup; which was 10+ 120mm fans on rads.

Having said that, its not whisper silent but extremely quiet for what it does.

My GPU's are also much better off being separated from a x79 CPU due to massive heat created.

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to aussie! :thumbup: