Phase out VGA in next 5 years

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Reaper, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/VGA-Given-5-Years-to-Live-71420.html?wlc=1292104476

Sorry for the doubleclick ad that first appears in advance.

I guess it would happen eventually, it will create problems down the track for we "old timers" and I suspect we'll all be scrambling through ebay for the vga to hdmi converters, which you can buy today for ~$50. :)

The article does mention laptops a lot, but I don't really care about those, I mean the one I'm on right now only has hdmi out. My other laptops do have vga, but their composite ports are more valuable. Vga won't be missed, nor was really wanted on laptops anyway. But desktops are another matter.

LVDS is interesting too. Firewire doesn't matter, it was dead before it even started, but sata, hypertransport, etc, very interesting.

2. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

About time really, though it's not really going to be that difficult for you retro guys as the gear will be around for ages still, as there's so much of it :)

3. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

LVDS is much more interesting, as it's widely used to connect lcds in embedded controllers.

Frankly I have no idea why VGA has lasted this long, it should have died with crts.

4. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

It will hit offices that use projectors. Lots of them still use VGA connections.

5. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

About time.:D we were having this discussion at respawn lan about when they would phase out..:D We said 2014 so its close enough

Funny how some high end laptops have the VGA output still..:D

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Let's hope so. More and more old gear is heading for landfill these days. Hopefully enough people bother to offer it up for sale in the coming decades.

7. ricky60

ricky60 Member

My old work is installing heaps of projectors in schools, and still only running VGA in most cases for the wall plates and through the walls. :rolleyes:

Even two years ago it was becoming an issue as a lot of laptops were only coming with HDMI or DVI outputs.

8. Phido

Phido Member

VGA is still going to be widely popular.

You or anyone else can make a VGA cable in 3 mins. You can't do that with DVI/HDMI.

Honestly I think VGA will be one of those standards that will be with us for decades to come. Like RS232. It won't be as common, it may not be socketed on every device, but it will still be supported for essentially forever.

1) VGA quality is still dam good that is not why most people go digital (usually exceeds the quality of the monitor or projector)
    2) Every data projector comes with VGA almost exclusively. People want a laptop that will work with projectors, every projector.
    3) its been around for ~20 years

In some commerical and industrial applications VGA will just refuse to die as replacing it will cost even more than supporting the older standard.

RS232 will outlive the internet, VGA will proberly live many years yet! It may be reduced to a header and as an optional extra (like rs232) but it will be around.

9. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Worst case there are excellent converters from VGA to HDMI.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah I have to agree. It's a nice, easy, unencumbered standard. It'll stay around for a while yet, even if the mass market don't continue using it.

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

As far as I know, Nvidia have always used external chips to do the GPU (digital) to VGA (analogue) conversion, so we'll probably be able to get low-end Nvidia cards with VGA for quite a long time.

12. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

13. l337

l337 Member

remember when LPT1 printers were phased out? for years we had a wide variety of adapters on the market some still around... VGA to DVI or HDMI adapters will come out (more advanced then we have at the moment) which will help ease the market probably for a good 5 years.

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

15. shift

shift Member

They're confusing LVDS the display connection standard for laptop LCDs with LVDS the electrical signalling concept used in a lot of modern connections.

16. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

90% of what I work with uses RS232 (Precision Ag/GPS) the other 10% uses CAN. It will outlast the internet :p.

17. t3h

t3h Member

It does say Intel and AMD though - no word from Nvidia, and it's not specified whether "AMD" includes ATI. This might just be about onboard graphics.

Also (mini)DisplayPort to VGA adaptors are pretty cheap: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27603 - and that's an active converter, not a straight cable.

And yeah, a lot of stuff is USB to serial to GPS. Nearly every GPS I've seen outputs serial NMEA.

18. firewuff

firewuff Member

AMD def includes ATI, there is no difference these days. The Laptops are already changing faster than desktops. I'm currently project managing installation of AV installs at a university and this is becoming a bigger issue every semester. We've just installed our first fully Digital venues last month.

As for existing VGA, there is no real issue. VGA to HDMI active adapters are cheep and effective. HDMI to VGA has however a pile of protection issues because of the HDCP content protection... thats the real pain.

BRETT

19. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

Who cares there are $2 adapters for hdmi-vga anyway...

20. ricky60

ricky60 Member

No there aren't.