Phenom Ii vs AMD A6/8/10

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by AgenaFX, Jun 6, 2015.

1. AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

Hey guys,

As part of the long weekend, I've finally found some time to 'refresh' one of my old PCs I've had for ages now, slapped in a cheap SSD, old HDD - thinking of using it for my photo-editing work etc; separate from my Wintel gaming PC etc etc.

Phenom II 920 @ 2.8
    Geforce GTX 285 1GB
    8 GB Memory

If I don't intend to use this for gaming, purely Lightroom, web browsing, some 'work from home' stuff - would it be better just to run one of the new APUs ?

Cheers

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Personally I'd crank up the Ghz a little and use it. If you go out and buy an AMD, you may as well just buy a new Intel build. A little bit more with more power.

But yeah. It's still a quad core. A bit of an OC (even say 300-400mhz and it'll still be fairly capable.

3. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

You might see a slight performance gain with a high end A10 / A8 but for the same amount of money you'd be far better off getting a FX6300 unless you need the integrated graphics.

4. OP
    OP
    AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might just buy some new intake fans and be done with it.

Should save money for Skylake.

5. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

I'm a few days late, but here is my point:

The APU series would be using less power. I've used an A10 since they were released and have not had any complaints.

I'm not sure about lightroom, but Photoshop can use AMD GPUs for some stuff, rotate and zoom and probably a few other things. (I've not verified personally that Nvidia can do the same thing)

I use Capture 1 Pro and it uses the GPU for a bunch of stuff.

Having said that, why spend cash when you have a working PC? (which was already your conclusion I think).

6. OP
    OP
    AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

I was looking for some written encouragement not to spend money!

Good to know the A10 isn't shabby though!