1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phenom II X2 550 bottlenecking GTX560?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by blarg99, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blarg99

blarg99 New Member

Recently went to a Gigabyte GTX560 from my old HD4850 512mb.

I'm currently running a Phenom II X2 550 (stock clock and no extra cores unlocked), and I'm just wondering if it's now going to be a bottleneck in games for my new GTX560? Kind of things I'll be playing in the near future include Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc and eventually Crysis 2 etc etc.

If my processor is the weak link I'd probably go to a 1055T/1090T (BE?).

No interest in going to Intel at this stage.

Thanks.

2. Director FLoPs

Director FLoPs New Member

Are you playing at a very low resolution?

What resolution(s) are you playing at?

You should also consider your minimum, weighted minimum, weighted average and average frame rates - not just the average by itself.

It certainly couldn't hurt performance, assuming that your motherboard, BIOS, etc supports the upgraded processor. For a lot of titles a high performance dual-core is still enough.

3. Archy

Archy New Member

Yeah, in many games, it will be. The higher the resolution, the less the CPU will be the bottleneck. Of course, pumping the clocks up a little or even unlocking cores will help a lot.

I wouldn't recommend going with a new CPU at the moment if it's a long term thing. Bulldozer should be out in June if you want to stick with AMD, so if you can squeeze some more performance out of that CPU, it should tide you over until then.

Many multiplayer games love quads because there's a lot going on. BC2/BlOps, I'm looking at you.

4. OP
    OP
    blarg99

blarg99 New Member

Sorry, should have specified, I game at 1920x1080.

Can't unlock the cores unfortunately as they're not stable. Might try an OC I guess, hadn't bothered yet because I'm running stock cooling and since my current CPU is not BE I believe it doesn't allow multiplier increases.

Also feeling kind of lazy about finding a stable OC. I wasn't thinking bulldozer as I don't believe they'll run on AM3 and I'd wanted to keep my existing mobo.

Not much multiplayer stuff, only casually (except a bit of QL but that's obviously not an issue).

Thanks for the input so far.

5. lionman

lionman Member

If you had more productive uses for the PC then an upgrade might be worth it but for games I'm not sure it's worth it. Just wait till you upgrade the whole system.

See the comparisons here between the 1055T and the 550, in games the difference is modest.

If you get a $20 cooler you will get 3.6 - 4GHz out of the chip and will reduce any bottleneck.

6. OP
    OP
    blarg99

blarg99 New Member

Interesting comparison there, though I note it's for the 550 BE. DA:O seems uncharacteristically processor heavy.

Maybe I'll just do some research on a cheapish fan and play with an OC afterall. At least when Bulldozer comes out it should drive down the prices of the current chips regardless.

7. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

short answer. yes it is

8. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

lol my 460gtx needs my i5 760 at 3.8ghz to get past it in bc 2, but the games you said i don't know would say so though as you really need a quad core these days and those games run sweet on quad. For gaming though check up which is ganna pay off the most because there arn't any games making use of hex core that i know of, so maybe put that into a better quad.