Phenom II X3 - Enable and unlock the 4th core

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Trizae, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

saw this over @ G3D this is what Hilbert had to say:

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=16645

OCAU ADMIN ACTION FORM
    Action taken by: Ma Baker

This form details the modifications made to this thread or post.

Action Taken: Post edited, IMG Tags removed.
    Reason for Action: You are not allowed to link images if you're not hosting them yourself or using a hosting service.
    Other Information: Please read this thread which will explain the no linking images rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Here is another link for you: http://my.ocworkbench.com/2009/amd/...nabling-the-4th-core-on-X3-710-and-X3-720.htm

3. akashra

akashra Member

WTF, 35%? So basically that fourth core was disabled because it was a goddamn super-core and hurt their higher product lineup, not because it didn't work.

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I think it's more likely that some software doesn't completely understand triple-core CPUs (it'll be expecting one, two, or four). As a result, it would only have been properly using two of them. With the fourth one enabled it'd use all four.

EDIT: Actually, 35% isn't that unlikely for something purely limited by CPU speed. They've essentially increased the processing power available by 33.3%; the remainder could just be benchmark variations.

5. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

If the core was pretty much perfectly functional wouldn't you expect an improvement of around 33%.... 4 is 33% higher than 3 after all.....
    Pretty nifty. I imagine it would be rare to find an x3 that has a functional 4th core though but seems like it doesn't hurt to try it out if you have one and a motherboard to support it.

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

You may be able to get the fourth core working nicely by underclocking it. Since AMD lets you underclock individual cores you could have three cores at stock speed and the fourth core running ~500MHz slower to keep it stable.

That won't work for all CPUs (some cores won't work at any speed), but it'd increase the number of usable ones.

7. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

They also test SiSoft Sandra:

8. IPW

IPW Member

so uh when can I get one???
    if this is going to work then I will definately go this way and start building the system i've been meaning to build for about 3years. :thumbup:

9. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Aren't there phenom II x2's (I think under the Athlon branding) on the way with 2 disabled cores? Would be pretty awesome to pick up a good one of them and re-enable it up to a quad, even if you end up with 2x3ghz and 2x2.5ghz. Bargain.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  10. Gillyske

Gillyske Member

x2's lol we are still waiting for the x3's in aus.

11. bennyg

bennyg Member

reminds me of sweet AGP NV40 days. 8p4v @ 325/700 to 16p5v @ 375/775... more than a 6800GT three times the price... brilliant. This is why we OC.

Guess now CPU manufacturers will start laser-cutting their binned-down products just like the red and green teams did after that :(

Don't buy one expecting it though. More of a totally lucky bonus. AMD did bin them down for a reason.

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Motherboard Vendors Confirm Phenom II X3 Core Unlock, Luck Needed

http://www.techpowerup.com/86200/Mo...irm_Phenom_II_X3_Core_Unlock_Luck_Needed.html

13. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Based on some reports, it seems that manufacturers are going to "fix" this issue with future bios updates.

14. g0bbles

g0bbles Member

Has there been any reported Faults due to the 4th core on the X3's generally being disabled due to errors and improving their yields?

15. octagonalman

octagonalman Member

hmm the price premium for a board with sb750/acc doesn't make this quite a low-risk gamble. Especially when there are quite feature-rich boards with sb700, like the one mAJORD reviewed in January.

16. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I've just ordered an x3 720, but I didn't go with an sb750 board, however. I figure knowing my luck it won't be unlockable and even if it is the board I pick won't do the job either way. I'll go with a new mobo next year that'll support sata 3 and usb 3 rather than spend $200+ on a board now that I'll want to replace in a year anyway. Besides the money saved getting an sb700 and an x3 over the x4 940 I wanted, covered the cost of a WD caviar black 640GB and an artcitc cooler freezer xtreme.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  17. octagonalman

octagonalman Member

"Exclusive Worldwide First 780G + SB710 chipset supporting AOD ACC"

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A780GMH/128M&s=n

Boards like this, if their ACC does the same thing as SB750's would make the process much more affordable. But then again, in January I tried getting an Asrock 780G board (the older version of this with SB700) - they said ETA of late February. Then it just disappeared completely. It's a shame though - these Asrock creations seem unique, even with the SATA ports clearing a double-slot graphics card.

18. IPW

IPW Member

Can anyone here help me confirm that I can run an X3 720BE in this board? I thought I was sure but i'm now unsure and can't find a definitive answer.

Motherboard
    DFI DK-790FXB-M2RSH

I'm not too fussed as to if it will unlock the 4th core, would be great and obviously I'll try, but I'm not building the system to rely on it, just would be a nice bonus!

19. octagonalman

octagonalman Member

Yeah, your board features in the corporate news section on the DFI website's front page, in the "AM3 Ready! – All DFI LANParty 790FX/ 790GX series support AMD Phenom II (AM2+/ AM3 Socket)" article.

20. IPW

IPW Member

sweet as, seen it mentioned a few places but didn't know what i could trust!