[WORKLOG] Phido's Ncase m1 S24 AIO custom cooling loop.

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Phido, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Phido

Phido Member

PC setup:
    Case: Ncase M1 Rev 2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Aourus MITX B550I https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10#kf
    CPU: AMD 5950x
    GPU: - Pending- Currently MSI 1060 3gb
    AIO cooler: Fractal S24 240mm cooler.

So the Prisim isn't cutting it on the 5950. I hit 90 degrees instantly, even at idle its ~75.
    AMD recommends a 360mm cooler min for the 5950x.

Interestingly AMD removed the S24 off the recommended coolers for Ryzen
    https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-thermal-solutions
    But its still on the threadripper list.

2. one80

one80 Member

That doesn't sound right to me...
    I'm running a 3950X under a Noctua C14 and a single 140mm fan (i.e. no other case fans), and it sits at 40-50C. Stress tests are high 70s.
    Have you tried re-seating etc?

Looking forward to seeing the build log :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

The 5950 are a fair bit hotter and put out a fair bit more heat when overclocked.

I think part of the problem was the fan profile and thermal transfer. At that stage there was only one fan in the whole case, that was the CPU fan (the PSU fan faces the wrong way and only kicks in when needed which is never in my case). So the fan was always reacting to the load too slow and then it would get away from it. The Prism really struggled with the 5950x. Even at stock it was having an impact, not by heaps, but 2-5%.

I now have the S24 fitted and has Silver King liquid metal compound. Its made a huge difference, but thermals are still an issue. From the Ryzen 5000 thread, I see people with 280mm AIO are also still having problems thermally particularly in small ITX cases where there may be limited fans and limited airflow.

I can sustain an all core overclock for about an hour or two at 4.6Ghz, before thermals get a bit much, if I take the panels off it could do it all night.
    At 4.8Ghz I can fire off a few runs of Cinebench R15, but it gets very hot by the end of each run. CPU is putting out nearly 230w.

I have on order:
    2 x ID cooling slim fans
    2 x 240mm x 27mm copper radiators
    6 x barrow fittings to expand the system

I am hoping to run 2 x 240mm radiators eventually.