1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phido's Thinclient adventure: HP t5720

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Phido, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Phido

Phido Member

Well my 386 has finally been evicted from the house, is now awaiting placement in the garage. I am okay with this, because I now have a x3700 as my main rig and my wife is taking my 4790k.

For those who can't remember, I build a new build 386 in a black mATX case. The build log went on for 12 pages, and https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/386-buildlog.1234684/. The 386 will live in my garage/mancave zone. It is still the retro machine I use the most

So now I am trying to wiggle something retro into the house. I hear about these thinclients. Compact, cheap, tiny, hide it behind a monitor, your wife wouldn't even need to know kinda stuff.

Anyone got a thin client?
    Any feelings regardnig thinclients?

2. power

power Member

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I miss Phil. How do we get him back on OCAU?

okclock123 and adz like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Yeh I watched Philsvideos, its what inspired me. That and I lost a ebay bid on a pentium machine. They leave me with lots of questions.

So I have ordered
    • Hp t5720 (it also comes with kb/mouse comes free with thin client) running 512/512MB ram/disk and a Geode nx1500
    • Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940N (came free with thin client and I've been wanting a better 4:3 screen)
    • SD2IDE adapter and cable (Cheap)
    • PCI breakout (cheap)
    • PCI splitter (cheap)
    • YMF744 sound card

I have a Barton Xp-M 2500+ around here somewhere I can swap the CPU with if I want something faster. Maybe some faster memory.

I really want a generic machine able to cover 486 to Pentium III era DOS and Windows 98. I have multiple boxes of stuff at 486/pentium/pentium II/Pentium III level and if this works out, I could consolidate. Its not terribly valuable stuff, and its all mishmash of whitebox generic stuff, it makes up half my collection. Want it for programming/basic old gaming. I am quickly realising my IT skills are now from a different era, and I probably need something (particularly programming) to support my hideously dated skills.

Phil I think only interacts with Facebook and youtube now. However, he lurks..

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Loved those M-bartons, I nuked a few of them with the old pencil trick in my dual amd board. Awesome, just awesome on xp Pro.

6. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

They were pretty quick, so I assume this thin client would pretty much dominate the space around Pentium III's. So basically be plenty fast enough for DOS everything. Again with with98, there won't be much I will stuggle with CPU wise. I want to try my Barton XP 2500 in it, which even at low clocks will be faster than anything Pentium III.

Phil reviewed this machine type.

Anyway it has arrived. In a truely massive box. These are 2nd hand, but the box looks like the original HP packaging. The Ebay seller seems to still have over a dozen of these.

Inside:
    • Excellent near new Samsung SyncMaster940N - 19" LCD In black- I wonder if it supports 15Khz (oh god yes please!)? VGA only connection. This kit also includes everything you need to mount it onto the back of the 19" LCD. (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200512/20051219173058921_BN59-00486X-00Eng.pdf). Image quality is ok a little smeered, not sure if vga cable or output from the thinclient or the screen itself.
    • Some nice PS/2 HP keyboard and mouse (optical). Slight ware, but in excellent condition.
    • Power adapter for Thinclient. Thinclient itself.
    • Seemingly no VGA cable or monitor power adapter (standard so not really an issue).

The thinclient itself is pretty massive for a Thinclient.
    https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c00590995
    • AMD Geode - Basically a 1Ghz Athlon XP.
    • 512Mb of DDR ram (upgradable)
    • 512Mb flash disk (Will probably go 30Gb mSATA).
    • Intergrated Sis Graphics (SiS741 GX)
    • 2 PS/2 ports
    • 2 USB front/4 USB rear/2 USB internal
    • Parallel and Serial port
    • Internal PCI slot (faster and newer versions don't have regular PCI slots)
    I've tried installing Win 98se on the 512Mb flash drive. Man, the drive is too small for Win98se.

Vanne and badmofo like this.
  7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I'd be very surprised, some of the old 14" and smaller Syncmasters could do this but I've never seen anything newer do it.
    I just looked at manual you linked and it says the lowest horizontal sync is 30khz.

That's odd... I'm sure I've installed it myself on a 512MB drive before, it should only take up about 300MB. Has it been formatted with a massive allocation unit size?

8. nic55

nic55 Member

Can confirm the 940N does not do 15khz, I've got a couple at home and they display 'out of range' with my A500.

9. flain

flain Member

As someone who works for Citrix we have a lot of these lying around (thin clients in general - from many different makes/manufacturers), we recently moved office and subsequently disposed of a storeroom or two :/

I never considered these could be re-purposed as retro before. Mostly because a lot of them have embedded OSs and you can't just swap a drive easily to get something going, sometimes stuff is soldered onto the boards and the firmware can be quirky with lockdown features.

10. power

power Member

the HP's are very flexible.

11. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Theres a lot of thin clients out there but:

Finding one with a regular PCI slot is pretty rare (sound, graphics, old PCI oddities).
    Finding one with a beefy enough retro CPU is also pretty rare (the trasmeta stuff seemed pretty slow, I like the idea of a beefy K7)
    Finding one with useful integrated graphics is pretty rare. (while not brilliant seems usable for win98 in low res)
    Finding one that allows installation of other stuff is also not that common. (HP do seem flexible).

So these HP's seem a bit like a diamond in the rough. They tick a lot of boxes. I've never really thought about having a K7 retro box, and my k7 mobo I think is dead anyway. They are quiet, they seem to last, they are small to store.

These are now getting pretty old so I imagine many of them will just get chucked.

flain likes this.
  12. power

power Member

we buy used ones through recyclers that buy lots from schools, etc - you can get them quite cheaply that way.

The T610 Plus is a decent one, has SATA support (like all T610's). But it also has a PCIe slot.

Every HP thin client i've used has removeable storage and RAM.

pretty sure phil put up a video on the 610plus.

yes he did

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

The 610 is a bit new IMO for the sort of retro gaming I would probably use it with. I really wanted something to cover DOS/Win98. Stuff which really doesn't run on
    Its a handy little unit. If I was looking for something as a kids/wife computer or similar, would probably be on the list. Nice and small.

A thin client with 16 Gb ram, a 730GT, dual core and a SATA SSD storage and Gb ethernet isn't really that retro.

14. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Upgraded the tiny 512mb DOM with 32GB Sata SSD to IDE adapter.
    Upgraded ram to DDR400 1GB

Installed XP
    Installed Drivers
    Tried Farcry off CD, failed.
    No 1080p res...

15. power

power Member

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. OP
    OP
    Phido

Phido Member

Theres no 1080p res in windows..

Far cry the videos don't play properly.. then it crashes.. you can't adjust the video memory from 16mb..

17. power

power Member

ah right, that's a driver then. This is just a 610 isn't it?

there are two different t610's I know of one shipped with WES2009 and the other with 7 Embedded.

2009 is based on XP so there should be a driver available for you.

Did you patch FC?

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Heh I got one of these the other day.
    Still playing around with it.

Thinking of trying to hack the bios. See what options are hidden.
    Problem is I can't seem to find a tool that opens this particular award bios.

19. power

power Member

GPU is a HD6320 if you are wondering Phido

Just realised you have a different model?

what do you want to see?

20. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

What's hidden in the settings.

You got some experience with bios hacking?

The 5720 btw, not t610