1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K 60Hz

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Frenchpom, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ysu

ysu Member

Many thanks for that, it works!

I've had a zillion monitors in my registry (I've used a few since I got this computer) but after sorting through them I've found the culprit. I've actually had it almost all set up correctly, except had a 01 entry in there as well (under the 00 entry). I've simply deleted that one, and now it's all good - monitor goes to sleep and comes back w/o squashing everything into the top left.

Thanks again, mate I really appreciate you taking the time and posting this for us.

Windows is a weird beast...

2. power

power Member

3. ysu

ysu Member

Err...I spoke too early.

On the test run it worked like a charm, now I've left the computer while having lunch and it's back to squashed mode. :(

4. power

power Member

Oh, ok I'll stick to not sleeping the screen and turning it off by holding down the joystick button.

5. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Just change all the keys under this if you don't use any other monitors.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

6. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

Thanks for this, just tried it. I'm okay with the flickering (as annoying as it is) but the windows being resized and squished into the top left annoys the shit out of me.

Will report back after I reboot.

7. ozHarry

ozHarry Member

I've tried this apparent solution several times. But it still hasn't solved it... Something about the 4K resolution in conjunction with Display port makes it not a fixable thing until a MS patch is released or a firmware fix on the monitor to make the PC think the monitor is still connected.

I've certainly not had any luck under windows 7.

8. ysu

ysu Member

Did that, still nope.

But what's really interesting, is that it has actually worked initially when I tested it...I wonder how is that possible. I don't think I've restarted the computer then...or have I?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

I have been convinced. Even if my mad scheme (read on for more info) fails, I'll have a New Toy that is significantly better than my existing 39" Seiki 4K@30Hz (1080p@120Hz).

Ordered a Philips BDM4350UC from umart today. I have questions, and perhaps they are dopey:

Video card is a R9 290X, which has DisplayPort1.2, HDMI1.4 and two DVI-D, I also have HDMI via on-board CPU (IvyBridge 3570)/motherboard. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I know I can use DP to connect at 4K resolution @ 60Hz (enabling DP1.2).

BUT can I also hook up the other inputs to HDMI for 'additional' 1080P displays, which I can switch to from the Philips OSD?

Because I love 1080p gaming on my computer, I want to run a HDMI @ 1080p, and have the one video card just output my 1080p game to the monitor, but if want to, I can switch to another 1080p input and have a web page, and another 1080p and have my email client and some on screen do-dads. The idea being I can switch on the fly between full 4K windows on Displayport, and sub-screens at 1080p, all from the one computer.

If I can't have 4K AND additional screens, I should be able to say 'ok, I have four monitors, defined in the Radeon Crimson drivers / Eyefinity as "1920 * 1080", and then display all the outputs as different quadrants of the monitor, and switch to 'full screen' versions of any input at the flick of a switch.

The reasoning is that I can't resolve text easily @ 4K on my 39" Seiki, because my eyes aren't sharp enough these days (I'm 58), AND Gaming @ 4K is a strain on the video card, whilst 1920 * 1080 is perfectly fine, AND resolves beautifully for me and my current level of eyesight.

To be a little less muddy in my explanation: I don't want to mirror the one output to four virtual screens, I want four completely separate outputs from the one video card.

Is what I am thinking of doing -possible- with one video card and this monitor? Would DisplayFusion help?

Sensible answers appreciated. It would be better to say nothing and see when the monitor arrives, but I don't mind a bit of public humiliation if it's absolutely necessary.

(Self deprecration wouldn't work on a US forum, it should be fine here in Oz, don't disappoint me Aussies!)

10. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Yes, but switching screens via the OSD is fiddly. I'm not aware of a hotkey for it.

There's a directional button on the back edge of the monitor that lets you select various inputs and settings. The menus are Input, Picture, PIP/PBP, Audio, Color, Language, OSD Settings, and Setup.

In the Input menu, you can select between VGA, HDMI, MHL-HDMI, DisplayPort, and Mini DP. When you change this setting, the entire screen switches to that input. Mine is currently set to DisplayPort, if I change it to HDMI then it says no signal cause nothing is plugged in there. But this is your basic input control.

In the PIP/PBP menu, the choices are PIP/PBP Mode (off), Sub Win1 Input (HDMI), Sub Win2 Input (HDMI), Sub Win3 Input (HDMI), PIP Size (Small), PIP Position (Top-Right), Swap. Items in parenthesis are my current settings. PIP/PBP Mode can be set to Off, PIP, PBP 2Win, PBP 3Win, and PBP 4Win. So when you're in PBP Mode, the screen is divided up into 1080p quardants taken from whatever input you select. It sounds like you would want this off, and simply use the Input menu for all your fullscreen stuff.

Have you looked into Windows 10 virtual desktop? So instead of a single Windows desktop, you have 4 virtual ones that you can switch between using a hotkey. Then all you'd need is a single DP cable to the monitor, and switch between games/web/email/etc on the fly with a keyboard shortcut. Set your res to 1080p if you like.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-to-use-virtual-desktops-in-windows-10/

There is also software around that lets you quick switch resolutions with a keyboard shortcut, but I don't know what it's called.

Yes, but it's at least a dozen clicks through the OSD menu.

This might be a dumb question, but what do you want 4K for if you only have the eyesight for 1080p?

Yes, you can run 4 cables from 1 video card to 1 monitor. For all the video card knows, it could be sending the signals to 4 different physical screens. For all the monitor knows, it's getting signals from 4 separate PCs.

I hope I've answered your question. Things are pretty flexible these days. If you want to mix 4K movies with 1080p everything else, you can probably using Windows 10 scaling and 1080p game settings, maybe put in a few virtual desktops.

11. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

Thanks for the answers. Lots of information, which is what I needed.

There's something in the manual:

I'm presuming you can just have a user entry that says 'switch to next available input', I will sus it out.

I've created them on the fly, and it works, but it's not very useful on a single monitor @ 1080p.

Not a dumb question at all. The answer is kinda klunky though, and has lots to do with my monitor history, so here goes:

2000 got a 21" Panasync monitor, I loved that thing 1280 * 1024. But it kept breaking down over four years I was using it, and costing $300-450 a pop to fix (flyback transformer).

2004 I finally gave in to 'horrible' LCD's, and got a pair of Acer 20" monitors, dual monitors was fabulous (Matrox video card, where did THEY go!) My first experience with LCD monitors was the bad old days of 640 * 480 abominations, at work, in the late 90's I swore I would NEVER leave the CRT world.

2009 I got a 32" Sony Bravia purely as a computer monitor, retired my dual Acers and just had one 23" Dell as my second monitor.

2012 bought a Crossover 30" 2560 * 1600 monitor, and ran that in Portrait mode next to the 32" Bravia. It was a ridiculous setup. The Crossover suffers from heat prostration when the room temperature exceeds 24C, so as soon as summer hits, it was useless :(

2013 I got the Seiki 39" 4K monitor. Too big to fit monitors at the side. Gave the Sony away to my dad (who loves it), and the Crossover has been relegated to sitting around waiting for me to try and fix it. Fat chance.

2016 -- here we are, I'm totally fed up of single monitor. I loved my dual monitor world, but there is NO WAY to fit another monitor in beside the Seiki. 30Hz 4K is just useless to me, it's way too tiny lettering I have to bump up the DPI to 150% which means I hardly get much more than 1080P, and yet stuck at 30Hz. At 1080P I can run at 120Hz, and that's great, solid, no flicker or noticable smearing when dragging windows, but it's one monitor and it's not big enough screen real estate when I'm looking things on the web, have a browser doing Youtube, have my email client and my various bits and bobs.

So, history out of the way -- why get a 4K monitor if I don't use 4K? Precisely so that I can have multiple monitors on a single screen -- since I can use the OSD to switch between physical inputs, I figure I can have the monitor show me everything, and when I want to do anything specific, I flick into that quadrant, be it a browser window, or a 'full screen' game. It's a way to get multiple monitors on a single screen. And 43" will be a bump from the Seiki 39", and if I do want 4K beautiful games, I can have usable 60fps, rather than shitty smeary awful 30fps rubbish.

This is what I wanted to know. I'm curious about providing a 4K stream on the Displayport, and 1080P streams on the two HDMI connectors I'm envisaging setting up. Apparently I need a MST splitter to split my single Displayport output into two, and when I do that, there isn't enough bandwidth to drive one at 4K@60Khz and another at any usable resolution, so available resolution drops for each Displayport connection :(.

Thanks for your message. You answered a heap of my questions which several days worth of research on various sites got almost zero useful info.

12. ysu

ysu Member

I know exactly what you're talking about :)

I've swapped my 40" to a 43" exactly for that reason, the 40" had way too small pixels for 4k res.

Well, you can calculate the pixel size if you want - this helps: http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/pixel.size.en.htm

The 24" monitors usually have about 0.26.
    The 40" had 0.23 (way too small)
    The 43" has ~0.25 - which is much better but still a bit too small. I can work with this for now, but I'm just nearing 50 :)

The very reason I'm still waiting for the optimal screen size for 4k UHD resolution.

13. adante

adante Member

bah - connected my 2x40's to a new computer and one of them is showing up as only capable of 30hz.

It's annoying because I had this problem with the old computer but it magically fixed itself after a reboot.

Using the win8 drivers from the philips site, but does anybody have suggestions for other levels I can wiggle in an attempt to get this working again?

14. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

43" Philips was delivered today (Thursday), currently sitting in the hallway awaiting installation tomorrow after I clean up my pigsty desk of the uncountable pieces of detritus/junk/papers and clean up my ratsnest of USB/power cables at the back of the monitor.

• USB cables:
    • Logitech G502 Mouse
    • Beyerdynamic 990pro headphones
    • C3 microphone
    • Generic two slot SATA dock
    • Filco 'Brown cherry keys' keyboard
    • Logitech G13 Keyboard Extender
    • HeuyPro Colorometer
    • Steam Controller
    • USB 3 extension hub

• Video cables:
    • old DVI->VGA cabling (experiment with Seiki I left hooked up)
    • HDMI

• Power Cords:
    • Computer case
    • NAS case
    • lamp
    • Seiki monitor

Tomorrow there will be more video cables

• R9-290X -> Phillips
    • ----------------------
    • HDMI-> HDMI (1920 * 1080)
    • DVI->HDMI adapter->HDMI (1920 * 1080)
    • Displayport->Displayport. (3840 * 2160)

I've ordered a 2 port MST hub and extra displayport cable, which might arrive tomorrow, which will mean a second Displayport->Displayport (1920 * 1080)

RatsNest++. I do have some cable-tidy channeling and I might try use some, since the last time I used it in 2010 I've kind of let things revert to sloppyness. :)

I will post pictures of my setup tomorrow, but as ever, camera cannot easily capture what these large monitors -actually- look like when you sit in front of them.

15. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

16. Geno

Geno Member

Oh wow thats shattering. Pun intended. When you do get the panel back you'll absolutely love it. Im a couple weeks into owning the big 43" and now find myself scoffing at all my friends peon monitors.

17. power

power Member

18. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

:eek::(

How does that happen? I thought they were really well packaged. Did the box get punctured or something?

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Damn, just when you think you have your new baby for crissy! Fark.....sorry to see that bud : (

20. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

There was a tiny ding on top of the box, but nothing outrageous.

It's mysterious, looks like it was packaged up like that to me and my friend, we couldn't find dent or bends in the box, and it seemed 'factory sealed' to us.

I have other pictures:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/beforeunboxing.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/cablesetc.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/smashedscreenreveal.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/closeupofdamage.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/damagedscreen.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32934000/2016/umart/topofboxdetail.jpg