Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K 60Hz

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Frenchpom, Dec 12, 2014.

1. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Looking at a new monitor for my home PC that is mostly used for photo editing and a little CAD and web browsing. No gaming at all.

Considering the BDM4350UC or the BDM4037UW just not sure about the curved screen with photo editing and being VA rather than the flat IPS?

Also as I won't be doing any gaming will I get away with two sli GTX580s?

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As in don't know if it's worth going curved?

3. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Yeah not sure if its worth it and if there are any side effects photo editing wise (distortion?), have never used a curved monitor before could be worried about nothing...

4. awnm

awnm Member

I'd recommend against a curve for photo/CAD work (it's fine for gaming). It's a little off-putting seeing bends in straight lines, especially toward the edges. But it's a very personal thing - some people don't notice it at all.

5. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I've heard from a number of people into graphic design that curves are bad because they can't get an accurate picture of what the image really looks like. I assume this would be even more important if designing in CAD.

FYI - I'm selling my 43" Philips IPS to get the 40" curved model for gaming. So if you want to pick one up for cheap check out my sale thread in the for sale forum. :thumbup:

6. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Thanks this was my concern! As for your for sale thread by the time I got it shipped to me in Brisbane I'd be better off grabbing one new from MSY for $899.

My other major concern is will two GTX580s sli run this monitor?

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And this is one of the reasons why I'd like to actually see some research into why curved is better etc etc. Or it may just depend on what you are doing.

8. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Digging up a bit. I am still having trouble with waking from sleep with display port on my evga 980ti (although it did it on my 970 also). I am using the included Display port cable so it should be pretty high quality.

Basically every 2/3 wake from sleeps it flickers, goes funky colours and switches on and off for anywhere up to 10 seconds I reckon and it's starting to get pretty frustrating. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this issue? Thanks!

9. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

This is just part of owning this monitor. I have the same problem. I wouldn't and don't expect a fix. LOVE the monitor though, so I've started just shutting down my PC instead of sleep.

10. Sabien

Sabien Member

I love using this monitor for work. 40 inch spreadsheets really makes my life easy and I run it easily with a nuc.

11. apsilon

apsilon Member

Mine doesn't have an issue waking up (though it does exhibit some of the traits you mention but sorts itself in a couple of seconds), it mostly has an issue going to sleep. 80% of the time it switches the input from displayport to HDMI and so instead of going to sleep just sits there with the all blue no signal screen. Doesn't bother me as I rarely use sleep, I just turn it off.

12. adante

adante Member

Blargh. I have 2 bdm4065uc's. I used to have problems with them (alluded to previously in this thread) simultaneously running at desired resolution/refresh, but nothing that didn't seem to get fixed by with some judicious rebooting/power cycling.

One day plugged in my laptop (or woke it from suspend - I forget) and one of my screens is stuck in 24hz mode. Various reboots etc have not fixed this :/

In display properties the working monitor (showing at 60hz - or I guess 59) comes up like this:

http://imgur.com/nrMJJsj

The problem monitor comes up like this:

http://imgur.com/gy0K1Bl

As mentioned before I was successfully driving these both at 60hz in the past (as far as I recall I have not changed anything - cables and hardware are all the same, I haven't made any changes to software configuration that I recall). However I don't seem to be able to bump the second one up to 60hz anymore. Does anybody know anything about the insane seeming windows monitor internals and decision making frameworks that could be causing this, and a possible remedy?

From googling I see some configs are stored here http://imgur.com/sIIuZkr . Anybody know if it is is safe to delete with prejudice all the subfolders in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/GraphicsDrivers/Configuration ?

13. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Make a system restore beforehand, or another backup you trust, then give it a shot. :thumbup:

Copie likes this.
  14. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

This happened to me a couple of times early on. Unplugging and plugging in the DP cable seemed to fix it, or at least co-incidided with it fixing itself.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Gees, lucky boy, I can only WISh they would spring for one of these for me at work : ( Temporary situation but I'm currently stuck on a single 19" iirc.

16. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seems to be the most appropriate place for it.

Turned my BDM4065UC on this morning and the top third is noticeably dim.

[​IMG]

The white circles in the middle are always there, but not noticeable during regular use.

Anyone else experienced this dimming problem? Does it mean it's failing? I'd hate to lose this monitor, it's a fantastic size and I was hoping to use it until higher refresh rate ones became available and reasonably priced.

Okay, edit, as I was typing that last sentence the brightness flicked back to normal. The dim part lasted for for 3h40m, perhaps warming up fixed it? I'm going to submit this post anyway in case someone else comes across this problem.

Edit2: And it's gone dim again while I was afk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    nope likes this.
  17. mtma

mtma Member

Guess that the backlight driver has some sort of issue that has developed.

Inside the monitor the LED's are arranged in a matrix to allow the monitor to do localised dynamic contrast dimming. At a guess the driver for that row has an intermittent issue, might resolve itself by hitting the monitor too. It's probably repairable if you can find someone to do it.

nope likes this.
  18. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

So my screen finally died. It flickered for a second then lost picture. I opened it up and tested the individual LEDs using a pair of AA batteries, and there was a single broken LED on each of the 4 LED strips. Turns out it only needs 1 broken LED for the whole strip to stop working, and it's not apparent when 3 strips are broken. It just looks a bit dimmer. Then the 4th one fails and it's lights out.

Replacement strips can be bought here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32889484754.html
    Shipping time to Australia is a little over a week, and they arrive in a rigid PVC pipe. The numbers on the strip don't seem to matter, just get Philips 40" 798mm backlight strips. There are 4 strips in the screen.

How to install them:

1. Make sure all power is drained from the monitor.
    2. Place the screen face down on a towel on a table.
    3. Unscrew the stand.
    4. Unscrew the stand bracing thing (4 large screws in the middle lower back) and slide it out from the back panel.
    5. Unscrew the back of the monitor. There are 13 screws around the edge, 3 shallow screws in the middle, and 2 slightly longer screws in the lower middle behind the "Philips" panel.
    6. The back has cables attached, so carefully lift it off. Unplug the OSD control knob cable from the back panel, and the PSU cable from the metal PSU compartment under the plastic flap.
    7. Unscrew the back plate that the stand bracing screws on to.
    8. Unplug the small cable at the bottom that connects to the "Philips" sign backlight.
    9. Detatch the two ribbon cables at the bottom of the screen. These have a flip-up socket design. They're very fragile and there's YouTube videos on how to disconnect them. Not sure if this needs to be done, because the long PCB along the bottom was stuck on and I couldn't detatch mine so I left it attached and made sure I only flipped the glass up to 45 degrees.
    10. Unscrew the front bezel and lift off the metal tape around the edges. There should be 27 small screws.
    11. Flip the screen over and take the bezel off. LED access is through the front.
    12. Unclip the bezel backing all around the edge except the bottom where the ribbon cables are in the way.
    13. Lift the LCD glass, plastic bezel backing, tinted sheet, plastic sheet, and plastic defuser together up to 45 degrees and prop it up. If you lift it too high it'll bend the metal screw hole tabs along the bottom edge.
    14. Pull off the plastic spikes in the middle of the screen. They just seem to come off.
    15. Lift up the backing paper.
    16. Test the LEDs if you like. There are videos on YouTube how to do this. You don't need a multimeter, you can just light them up individually with 3V of power.
    17. Unplug the backlight strips, and unscrew them. These are horrible to unscrew because the screws are really small, shallow, and done up too tightly. I stripped one of mine and had to snap the backlight strip to get it off.
    18. Replace the backlight strips. I found the replacement backlights only aligned on the 1st, 2nd and 4th screw holes but it doesn't really matter. You can tape down any loose spots. Don't forget to plug them in.
    19. Reassemble everything, making sure to plug in connectors. Getting all the sheets of plastic back on is a bit of a pain, just make sure you align them all over the slots around the edge. I used bulldog clips to hold them in place as I went.

Screen works fine again. If you need pics, look up YouTube videos on backlight repair. They all seem to follow similar standards of construction. Thank you mtma for putting me onto backlight strips.

MR CHILLED, terrabyte and power like this.
  19. power

power Member

well that's a bastard, mines still going strong but I'll keep your post in mind if it ever does do anything like that.

20. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

I didn't expect it would be as user servicable as it was, so I bought the 43" model as a replacement. Now I have two stupidly big screens. First world problems.