Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Mau1wurf1977, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Introduction

Hello everyone,

I'm Phil, also known as Mau1wurf1977 on various sites (VOGONS, OCAU, Whirlpool, Dosforum, QuestStudios, Vintage Computer Forums...).

3 years ago I wanted to to create a collection of benchmark results to help retro computer builders check that their system is running correctly, but also to guide slow-down projects and answer questions of the nature: What games will I be able to run on my computer with L1 cache turned off? This resulted in the 3dbench database on VOGONS!

My goal is to:

• Make benchmarking as easy as possible. All benchmarks will be provided and I wrote a batch file and all you have to press is 1 - 5.
    • Everything is pre-configured. No confusion about sound / no sound / detail / screen size
    • Make submission as easy as possible. Users submit their results themselves via a Google docs document.
    • Two sections: One for stock systems to help others check their systems. One for overclocking and having fun (anything goes)

YouTube video explaining everything

So with this project we will be expanding the benchmarks and using the following:

SUPERSCAPE BENCHMARK 1.0c or 3DBENCH2

This version scales nicely with faster machines, all the way from a 386DX to a Pentium 3.

[​IMG]

PCPBENCH /VGAMODE

Also scales very nicely and is a good addition to 3DBENCH2.

[​IMG]

DOOM -TIMEDEMO DEMO3

A classic and scales very nice as well. We will be using full screen to make the benchmark more demanding.

[​IMG]

QUAKE

[​IMG]

Download the benchmarks and batch files

Unpack and type BENCH.zip which you can download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?4riihr1m9iui13v

Easy to use set and forget menu:

[​IMG]

Submit your results

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aigi3Xn2U-_vdGtKeFpIU2pKWTl2N0J6UFh6Z0E2TWc&usp=sharing

• You can't enter a FPS value for Doom as this will be automatically calculated. You need to enter the realticks value.
    • Please try to complete all sections to help other users when they build a system.
    • For the overclocking (anything goes) section, please complete all sections and document performance relevant modifications, such as BIOS settings, performance improving utilities, hardware mods...
    • I will sort the table regularly and publish a PDF document on a weekly basis

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Changes:

Added Quake
    Updated batch file menu
    Updated download link

3. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

ZIP file on MediaFire has been updated and fixes the issue of Doom not running on some machines.

New version has a date in the menu to keep track of versions

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

We are getting close to 100 submissions :)

Here a quick graph I put together based on some of the data.

[​IMG]

SO MUCH DATA!!!

5. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

2000+ FPS in PCPBENCH /VGAMODE

DOS VGA benchmarking on an Intel Core i5

DOS VGA benchmarking on an Intel Core i7

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  6. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Chart Version 1.0

Awfully quiet here :) Maybe more are getting involved with time!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

New version of ZIP archive available. Dated Jannuary 6th

Changes:

- Select 1 to run MTRRLFBE to boost VGA performance on Pentium II+ machines

[​IMG]

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Has anyone compared the various VESA BIOS Extenders? Or are they all the same?

I used to use UniVBE and another (the name escapes me currently). Was there ever a performance difference between them?

[edit] I think the other ones I used were a card-specific VBE for my ET4000 and later S3 ViRGE cards.
    http://www.dosdriver.de/graph.php

9. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

VESA modes / higher resolutions I would like to tackle down the track. There is a lot of research I have to do. A ton of tools doing various things float around.

For the time being we are looking at VGA performance only. But one day...

10. elvis

I was referring to the MTRRLFBE thing above, which is a software VESA BIOS Extender that specifically enables linear framebuffer access (part of the VESA 2.0 spec), and is resolution independent.

There are some other cool things that come with both VBE2 and VBE3 that enable performance boosts and extra features (especially when dealing with >256 colours).

11. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

Sorry but VESA BIOS Extensions have nothing to do with these utilities :)

12. elvis

MTRRLFBE enables both the Memory Type Range Registers (specfically the write-combining feature) and Linear Frame Buffer Extension access, which are part of the VESA2.0 spec, which can also be enabled by running a VESA BIOS Extender (as most enable all VESA3.0 features, including MTRR/LFBE which are just two of many).

I'm merely wondering if there's a difference between MTRRLFBE and any of the other VBE tools out there, or if they all do the same thing specific to the needs of your benchmark (i.e.: set a register and let the card do the rest, or if there's some software interface in the middle there that is better optimised in one than the other).

In theory, running UniVBE should see the same performance gains as running MTRRLFBE on compatible hardware in your benchmark tests. Here's a thread on VOGONS where they recommend UniVBE for precisely this to boost pcpbench performance under MS-DOS7.

13. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

If there's a difference? Yes, they give you no speed increase :)

In short VESA BIOS extension tools focus on compatibility, whereas tools such as FASTVID, MTRRLFBE or SetK6D focus on performance.

Now is there a utility out there that does both, maybe?

But the big ones like UNIVBE or Scitech Display Doctor certainly will not improve your performance. They also mostly support quite old graphics card, failing to identify many newer AGP cards.

Please, if you still feel that differently do your own tests and let us know what tool worked for you in speeding up VGA performance.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  14. elvis

Interesting take on it. I've seen good performance gains out of VBEs before, and it seems others have too (VOGONS confirms it).

You're right - the benchmarks will speak for themselves. I should get testing! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  15. OP
    OP
    Mau1wurf1977

The hard part is getting tools for "exotic" CPUs and chipsets, like AMD, VIA, Cyric, SIS...

As long as you stay with all Intel (CPU and Chipset) you will have quite an easy time benchmarking. All the tools "just work".

I haven't tried the tools for the K6 because it's quite fast as it is. In general AMD gear doesn't have the legacy slow downs like Intel does. My Phenom II was fast straight out of the gate.