[WORKLOG] Phobya Xtreme Nova 1080 Radiator Sealed in Bar Fridge

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by im late, May 24, 2019.

1. im late

im late Member

So I have been toying with this idea in my head for a few years now.

These are the parts I was thinking of using:

- Phobya Xtreme Nova 1080 Radiator
    - EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial Pump Top incl 2x D5 Pumps
    - Some suitable tube res
    - Some used bar fridge from Gumtree

Thinking of:

- Rather than just drill two holes for the lines into the door of the fridge, install bulkhead fittings to pass through the door (with sealant or suitable rubber washers under the bulkhead locking rings for a cleaner finish).
    - Install rad inside fridge without fans

Things to consider:

- Condensation on the lines (can insulate lines if this becomes apparent)??
    - Would mount res and pumps off the test bench
    - Needs to be all compact and all "kid friendly" as my desk if forced to share the family games room space
    - Can sit the fridge next to my computer desk so as little tubing used as possible
    - Might have to source/fabricate longer bulkhead fittings as the thickness from the surface of the door to the inside of the fridge door would be at least 20mm??
    - Ideally for a cleaner look (as it is in my family room so fridge has to look like it belongs there as a spare drinks fridge) I would like the bulkhead fittings at the top towards the back of the fridge. That can only be investigated once I have chosen a fridge.

Any ideas or suggestions to throw my way?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  2. shane41

shane41 Member

Use bar fridge to hold beer :D It's not suitable & the heat modern processors can pump out will soon rise the 4c start temp.
    Like the radiator. Small pump & slow speed water circulation is what you need.

An old airconditioner " single stage " converted for your use. Old refrigerant gas is best -50c. New gas not great -25c
    Condensation you have to insulate your motherboard etc. Running temps below ambient.

im late likes this.
  3. havabeer

havabeer Member

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work, you'll end up killing the fridge as it won't be able to keep up with the heat input. They're not designed to cool large temperature differences. Most manuals will state if possible wait till the item is at room temp before putting in the fridge.

Think about how long it actually takes to cool down a can of beer if you pop one in the fridge at ambient temp. And you want a fridge to keep up with you dumping 50 - 100w of heat into it? The motor will just constantly run ($$$$ on the power bill) and eventually burn out or cut out on thermal, leaving you with a rad in a fridge circulating hotter and hotter air that can't be exhausted

You will still need rad fans, or a large run of copper pipe instead to actually get some decent heat transfer. Or put the rad towards the bottom so you get a bit of a natural air convection circulating.

Do some googling you will probably find you're not the first person to attempt this and why it's generally not a good idea. Mainly condensation and money

im late likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Thanks for that excellent feedback. Originally i was thinking of just a portable reverse cycle air conditioner feeding direct into the path of the radiator

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey mate, I like crazy ideas, I believe the cooling capacity of the fridge will be overcome by the rate at which heat is generated, so the loop will cool right down overnight then heat up quick as soon as load is applied. The advantage of the cool water will be lost before you can finish one benchmark run.

It's similar to my Hailea chiller experiment, it worked but even a large chiller couldn't keep up, maybe with a massive chiller and large chiller volume it could have worked but noise and room restrictions come into play.

You will probably have better results with the a/C unit pumping cool air directly into your radiator.

Also check the forums and YouTube, scavenging the internals from an a/C and submerging them in a slush mix in an early seems to have good results too. The previous option is easier and more practical.

:)

im late likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

I really appreciate the posts from all the members above.

I tent to at least see what members think before doing the google thing.

It is really looking like a crazy idea, so may end up with the portable air con thing instead.

But for now I will just run ambient.

7. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I have tried phase, dry ice and chilled water, I would get phase again for sure if I found a suitable setup.

8. Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Yeah i think they could be onto something im late. The radiator would get super cold overnight and then as soon as you put some warm water through it once you bench test a CPU it will warm up and the fridge might not be able to keep up.

I mean look its a cheap experiment, if you got the pump and you buy a cheap $40 gumtree fridge i weouldnt go overboard with fittings and what not. Id just get cheap clear soft tube. Smash some holes into the top of the fridge get bulk sealant just lather around the gaps and call it a day.

Maybe even leave the freezer door open on the fridge to get extra cool temps (bar fridges have internal freezer doors). its worth the trial and erro for the price imo. I would enjoy trying even if i failed, you seem like the similar type.

I think another good idea if you wanted to investigate prior to starting the build is see if you know someone with a temp gun. Or some method of checking the radiators external temp.

without the fridge and fans just see what the temp is prior to starting the PC and what it is after starting the PC. Fridges run around 10 deg, being that its a large surface area it might work it might not. But checking to see how much the rad temp rises without fans might be a good way to judge if the fridge will keep up with the temp change.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

Don't end up like that guy on here who spent like 4 grand on runninh oil instead of water thinking it would cool better

10. shane41

shane41 Member

11. Hive

Hive Member

Or better yet, run pipes out to your pool. 16-20c water all year round.

12. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

The sense got knocked into me in this thread (which is good) so bar frdige idea is dead in the water..

I have instead settled on just using the 1080 rad as is, however I only bench in the late night with the rad up against the open window and the fans sucking that cold air in.

For example last night idle for the GPU was 17 degrees, load during test 1 and 2 in timespy was 30~32 degrees.

CPU idle was 22 degrees, load temp during timespy physics test was 48~50 degrees.

I have a second 1080 rad in transit, GPU and CPU will have their own separate loops.

Both rads will suck in cool night air during bench runs.

Bloody amazing how every degree of difference makes to pushing clocks.

13. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Specially if it keeps you below a throttle trigger point

:)

14. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

Correct, I think there are 3 or 4.....up to 60 degrees?

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Two of them! Far out Luke you're keen mate, love it! :thumbup:

Pics mate? Yell out if you want another one :p

16. shane41

shane41 Member

x3 morrads here if ya gotta push

17. OP
    OP
    im late

im late Member

juzz86 likes this.