1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phone/NBN Access Point in home

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by PMack_525, Jul 23, 2017.

1. PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

Hi,

Sorry this may be a simple question that I could find with a search. I did search, couldn't find what i was looking for.

I've just come back from Canada after almost 4 years, so things have changed since i've been gone. We now have slightly better internet :lol:

We have had NBN (FTTN) installed at our house and something that I noticed was the modem/router is at a different phone point in the house than what it was when we had ADSL2. We actually had the house wired up with CAT6 ethernet. But, with the new setup its actually in a spot with no Ethernet close by.

So, I want to know if there's a way to change the phone point back to the other one in the house so that we can get ethernet throughout the home again?

WiFi has ALWAYS been a big issue in this house. I hooked up a computer directly to modem and was able to get consistent 95 down/35 up whereas over wifi its only about 35 down/20 up.

I'll be switching network providers within the next week or two also so it may be something they can do?

Thanks for the help :D

2. McRutch

McRutch Member

If the phone points are all cabled in CAT6 you might be able to with no issue.

I was on a job last week and moving the modem from the first point of the house to the one they wanted it at, was about 30m over a 10pair phone cable, the speed dropped from 80/22 to 60/22 over that distance :mad:

3. OP
    OP
    PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

Don't know if im understanding, is the connection between phone points Ethernet?

What we have setup is a phone point that the modem connects to and then Ethernet ports in wall next to it that serve up CAT6 ethernet throughout the house.

So:

Phone point ---> Modem ---> Ethernet port ----> rest of house

4. McRutch

McRutch Member

can't you just try the modem in the other phone point and see if it works?

5. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

Can't you just add a Wi-Fi repeater somewhere closer to one of the ethernet points? That would seem like the most logical and simple option.

6. caspian

caspian Member

that is either some crappy cable, or you introduced a bridge tap in the process.

7. McRutch

McRutch Member

definetely no tap, goes from incoming line to MDF in front guest house, 10 pair underground to an IDF in the main house, then a 3 pair to the computer desk at back of house.

Speed went down at both the IDF and computer desk (roughly 70 at IDF & 60 at computer desk)

8. OP
    OP
    PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

I did try in the other point and it didn't work :thumbdn:

9. OP
    OP
    PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

That might work (Have to use a repeater anyway, but as mentioned - severe loss in speed over WiFi would suck.

10. caspian

caspian Member

you need 130m of CAT-3 equivalent cable to produce a 10Mbps drop in speed, as a rule of thumb.

11. OP
    OP
    PMack_525

PMack_525 Member

So it turns out i'm just an idiot. Apparently will work on any phone point in the house (generally). So tried again but let it sit for 10 minutes and it connected. Go me :weirdo: