1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Photos wanted for a website

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by -Sk3tChY-, Nov 25, 2009.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of having a website developed for my business and was wondering if anyone here had any photos of PC related stuff that they wouldn't mind me using.

Or if they know a good place where I can find some.

Thanks. :)

2. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

istockphoto is probs best bet

3. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Had a look at it, it looks quite expensive.. I'm only after about 5 photos at the moment, was hoping a few of the talented photographers here may have some nice shots they wouldn't mind me using.

4. Zakari

Zakari Member

What kind of photos are you after exactly? eg. hardware... parts... full computers... lcd's?

5. scruff

scruff RIP

6. Smudge

Smudge Member

what about this ? provided i ticked the right box =)

7. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Well yeah, general PC hardware, Network Hardware/Equipment etc.

People using computers with smiles on their faces.

Tech working on switches with a smile.

That sort of thing.

The business is basically an I.T. Services business that will provide I.T. Services to Home and Office environments/users, ranging from Tech Support to Network Setups etc.

Thanks mate, champion. :)

Thanks champ.. So that Flickr HiveMind thing is just like a search-engine type thing for Flickr..? I'll def have a hunt through that, looks to be some great quality pictures.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. Smudge

Smudge Member

hive mind is yeah. makes it easier to search flickr images. i think i checked the licence box to limit it to images you could use but you should double check

9. baar01

baar01 Member

They sound like stock photos to me. Stop being such a cheap ass and actually buy them off a stock website. It's only $22 to get 12 credits on istock, that should get you 4 or so decent sizes images. Geez, heaven forbid you would actually have to pay someone for the work they have done. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  10. kogi

kogi Member

11. doigal

doigal Member

if ripping stuff from flickr make sure you have the photographer's permission. Else when they find you make sure you keep a few grand away for the legal bill.

12. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Thanks mate, I'll make sure the box is ticked. :thumbup:

I don't really want to use photos much on my website. The person who's developing it for me is doing it as part of their final assessment and part of the assessment is to incorporate photos or something into the site. I'm actually having my Graphic Designer create complete custom illustrations for the website, it has nothing to do with me being 'cheap'.

Yeah I've got office, is it fine for me to use their clip-arts and what not?

Well from a couple I looked at that I liked they were under the creative commons license and said it's ok to manipulate them and stuff, thanks for the heads up though.

13. doigal

doigal Member

Common courtesy if nothing else.

14. michael_

michael_ Member

so the designers time is worth paying for but the photographers isnt? sounds like cheap to me, no offence but its people like you who cheapen out industry because someone will eventually give them to you for free.

15. baar01

baar01 Member

So you don't want to pay anyone else for their services but you want people to pay you for your IT services? I'll call you when I want my computer fixed for nothing, yeh?

It's a two way street.

16. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

If there were hundreds of thousands of people that did computer repairs, of quality that was better than a local professional.. and went around doing it for free.. I know I would use them.

17. Chavez

Chavez Member

oh man... this sounds discussion sounds like the article i wrote up in a similar vein lol

18. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Tread carefully when using stock photos. Classic example of this is where Getty sued a small business over the accidental inclusion of one of their photographs (it wasn't removed & replaced in the final version of their website) and won. It cost the company a fair whack of money, and they are now in the position of having to repay the costs back - I can't quite recall the link discussing it, but this is a very true story (google getty images suing for a good place to start).

Make sure you comply with any licensing arrangements.

And to further echo most of the sentiments here, respect the photographer and offer to pay for the photos, and be willing to negotiate, our gear isn't cheap, and our skills aren't aquired via direct neural download aka The Matrix!

19. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Are you guys illiterate? Did you not read what I posted earlier?

I said these would only be a temp thing as I'm getting some custom illustrations done up by my graphic designer. Why would I want to pay for photos I'm only going to use for a short period of time?

If I were to be permanently using these photos I'd be more than happy to pay for them, but the fact of the matter is I wont be.

Thanks, I'll be making sure I don't break any copyright, last thing I want is a lawsuit.