1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Photoshop performance - Ryzen? Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by NNotNENN, Apr 16, 2020.

1. NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Hey guys, just trying to gather a bit of data to wrap my head around a weird performance issue I’m seemingly having with photoshop on my new build.

The backstory is that I was following along with an exposure blending tutorial and one of the steps was converting 4 stacked layers to a smart object. In the video, this step took about 3 seconds and on my new rig, it took nearly 40!!
    I reached out to the tutorial guy and he thinks his machine at the time was a 2018 MacBook Pro fully spec’d. My new PC is a Ryzen 3700x, 32GB 3200mhz DDR4, ADATA XPG 8200 Pros (2x2TB), 2080 Super - I would’ve thought this would definitely outperform a couple of year old MacBook!

Anyway, my request is that if you have the time and inclination, please try opening 4 RAWs (ideally something high-ish res - I was using A7R2 RAWs) into a layer stack, selecting them all and converting to a smart object, then replying with how long it took in approx seconds, along with some basic rig info (plus OS and PS version).

I’m most interested to see if people with Ryzens and Windows 10 have the same issue as me but also interested to see how you guys in various Macs go too.

TIA

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

So Ryzen 7 1700 (running at 3.5ghz), 32gb 2600 DDR 4, Intel 660 main drive, Seagate Bara Pro main photo storage drive, GTX 1660 super, Windows 10 latest update, Adobe CC Latest update.

4 A7R3 raw files, uncompressed, layered and select all, then convert to smart object. Could not time it cause it was so fast. Maybe 1.5 seconds or just over 1 second.

I have to say that the intel 660 made my system feel much faster, but also this system has never been slow in processing. I did do a fresh install of windows about 2 weeks ago. I had time on my hands being at home all the time....

3. OP
    OP
    NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

Man this is so weird! Based on specs, my PC should be objectively noticeably faster than yours - and your RAWs would be bigger!

Is there some Ryzen trick I may be missing? This is my first Ryzen build. I've updated the chipset driver from the AMD website and turned XMP on etc. Ryzen balanced power plan.

It's basically a fresh install of Windows (only built a 1-2 months ago) and I even tried just doing a fresh install of PS (though not Lightroom) and it hasn't changed anything in terms of performance.

Thanks for doing it man - also kind of curious how long it takes your PC to open those files are layers (presuming your doing it from Lightroom or Bridge?). Mine takes about 20 seconds cold (i.e. not having PS open already) which though definitely faster than my old 4750k, still seems kinda slow.

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I have this thing from when the original Ryzen cpus came out, I never run ram at XMP. I manually set the ram to the rated speed in bios. Some motherboards would detect the ram as faster than it is, and that would cause issues with stability.

Photoshop, at least the latest CC versions are pretty slow to open up cold. It usually takes me about 5-6 seconds from when I right click on the file and select open in photoshop till it shows me the camera raw dialog. I almost never open files this way (usually in lightroom) so it is not much of an issue for me. Putting the files on an SSD makes very little speed diff here so I still use a spinning drive.

vladtepes likes this.
  5. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Well, that's interesting; does this Ryzen/XMP performance predicament manifest in event logs at all? Have you seen the two modes perform differently in performance monitor under application load?

Curious, as I'm running a 2700X machine with 32GB DDR4 RAM (Crucial) 2400mhz (because Dell) at XMP - the system recognises the RAM at OEM spec, and I have never perceived any performance issue per se, but you got me thinking...

6. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Any issues do not show up in event viewer, and prime 95 would not show errors, but strange things would happen if I ran the RAM at the faster speeds. This could include usb storage running slow, exports from lightroom taking a long time, and other little things. I actually usually try to run the ram one step below the rated speed on my workstation (I run the fastest it will go on my gaming pc) for the best stability, as I need this machine to be reliable and stable.

Oh and when I started with first Gen Ryzen the ram you could run was rather limited. Not sure what the situation is with gen 2. I tend to stick to corsair xms.

7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Just had a go with four raw(uncompressed) A7R2 files. Have attached a screen grab just after the processing was completed. From click of Okay to being done, was approximately 10 seconds. You can see the spike in all the threads there. CPU is TR1920 at standard clock, 96gb of 2800C16 memory. Files were loaded from NVME.

Click to view full size!

That has me wondering though, as I do a lot with perspective I've found photoshop regularly hangs and from time to time, crashes. I might try manually setting the timings, though I'd be surprised if that's what it was.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    NNotNENN

NNotNENN Member

I just went to turn off XMP to check this and found that it was already off! Thought that might've explained the issue but flicked it on and still exactly the same performance for me. I guess I can try the middle ground of XMP off but RAM speed set to 3200mhz...

Interestingly, if I have a look at the details tab in the task manager and watch the Photoshop process there, its status goes to 'not responding' after about 5 seconds until it's done. Based off other people's timings, I'm wondering whether it's doing the work correctly for the first 5 seconds, then hanging for the rest of the time before finally coming good again. Also when I look at the CPU utilisation over time, only 4 of my logical cores appear to be doing any work while it runs which seems a bit odd relative to your screenshot, theicemagic.

9. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

NNotNENN Yeah something is not right with your setting in bios or something. I don't use XMP and just set the ram speed to one step below the rated speed, and I leave the timings in auto. I find this gives me the best stability. I know it sucks to run the ram slower than what you paid for, but if it runs better overall it is worth it.

As a general rule, if something stops responding, then there is something wrong with my system I need to fix.