1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

PI 2 B Torrent box?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by b-man, Apr 16, 2017.

1. b-man

b-man Member

I have a Pi 2 running raspbian basically idling about doing temp recordings for me for my Solar HWS.

i was wondering if i could replace some of the things my HTPC/NAS does.

im looking to
    -Auto Torrent
    -Use Sickbeard to rename and move. it just sucks with torrenting its more based for usenet
    -ability to run some sort of SQL database for Kodi for shared watched data etc
    -copy files to the nas

be able to play files from the PI download if the NAS is not on but somehow not screw up the kodi database and create duplicates when the files move to the nas

Auto Torrent
    sadly i have utorrent running automatic rss filtering with the smart episode filter enabled so my rss feeds can be duplicates and it only grabs the first one. no other torrent program that i know of does this and utorrent doesn't work on the pi.
    it makes it so easy to add a show or new rss feeds if one goes down i still have others as backup

If i cant work this out easily then there's no point doing the rest.

Use Sickbeard on the pi
    currently have sickbeard to watch the download folder and rename and move files to the kodi source folder on the HTPC/NAS

I could have it do this to a folder on the PI hard drive and then either play from there (an added source in kodi) or that can then be moved from the PI hard drive to the NAS hopefully with a cmd script on nas startup and hourly or if sickbeard on the HTPC can then have a watch folder on the pi drive to move files.

only real issue is duplicate data in Kodi if i try and use the pi hard drive as a source as well?

SQL
    i cant see why this cant be done i guess the only issue is the pi able to handle all of the above?

Can anyone point me on the right direction on programs i could use?

to automate downloads i have a showrss feed but as far as i can tell sickbeard doesn't work with it.
    i have zooqle rss but the feed doesn't work with utorrent so don't know if that would work with any of the others

i have heard about sonarr but don't really know anything about it and
    just found sick gear but don't know much about that.

2. Renza

Renza Member

Sonarr for TV, Radarr for movies. Sickbeard hasn't been updated in forever.

Sonarr will handle release downloading, rather than the torrent client

3. archie

archie Member

I gave up on something similar as the pi shares a bus for USB and ethernet or similar. Results in lots of corrupted data.

The odroid don't have this problem but I haven't tried

4. OP
    OP
    b-man

b-man Member

ok thanks i will give sonarr a look and see what i can do

yeah that is the only disappointing thing i have with the Pi's im hoping the downloads are when im not home so download and play don't happen at the same time.

i guess i can only try and if it doesn't work i can revert back to my current setup

5. underskore

underskore Member

I'm keen on setting up a pi as a usenet leecher...

I mean, I was thinking of using a pi until I saw archie's comments (and did a bit of research), then I got keen using an odroid to run retropie and I've finally reached the conclusion that if I'm going to do it it will be something more like an odroid for leeching and to just leave my pi for gaming.

6. OP
    OP
    b-man

b-man Member

what rss feeds and searchers do you guys use?
    i have showrss that seems to be working at the moment but zooqle doesn't work and i have no other backup if showrss ends up failing.

i setup sonarr in a VM with crashbang and using transmission and seems to be adding them using my rss feed
    id prefer deluge but had errors trying to get it installed and running

i prefer the simplicity of sickbeard all i use the gui for is 'coming episodes'
    apart from the date being a day out due to timezone

ideally usenet would probably be better but torrents is fine for me atm and i have no idea how to use usenet.

7. OP
    OP
    b-man

b-man Member

i have a pi2 running RetroPie seems to work fine i wish i had waited and got a Pi3 for the bluetooth then i could make my wii remotes connect. i have a few bluetooth dongles but they are all generic crap that wont seem to connect.

8. underskore

underskore Member

the pi3 I've got is quite decent for gaming but I do notice a bit of lag in various games - I thought it would've made a great eecher but the usb/eth challenges do make me think I'll be better off going with something else

I'm using dognzb & nzbgeek for indexers which I'm guessing provide the same/similar function as the feeds you're talking about?

9. Renza

Renza Member

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

this takes care of that. Adjusts for your local time zone too