Pickled Pork into Smoked Ham

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by renagade, Dec 19, 2011.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats your fuel usage on a 12 hour smoke?

2. trop

trop Member

Its a gas smoker so I have only been using about 1.5kg of red wine oak chips which lasts for about 4 hours of smoke. The rest of the time it is just a low temp oven, I don't like ham overly smokey.

As for gas usage, I can get 3 or 4 12 hour cooks and a couple of wing/rib 2-4 hour cooks out of a regular bbq bottle.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. miicah

miicah Member

Mine turned out very smoky and just a little too far done to be sliced nicely, but was overall a too salty. Is that directly related to the brine mix the butcher uses for the pickle, or is it more to do with the length of cook?

Now I want to make another one haha

4. trop

trop Member

Probably the brine mix I'd guess but possibly to do with the fat rendering into the meat since it was overcooked?

Did you probe the ham for temp at all? My butcher said to pull it out and ice bath it once the internal temp is 65'c, The 3 cooks I'v done have all come out around 70c then into ice bath and have been a nice ham texture.

5. miicah

miicah Member

It was around 72, left for another hour and then wrapped in foil/towel and into the esky.

That's the strategy for pulled pork though, how do you do the ice bath? I imagine it wouldn't stay cold for very long.

6. trop

trop Member

I just leave it in there 5-10 mins then wrap it in damp cloth and into the fridge overnight.

7. OP
    OP
    renagade

renagade Member

This thread gets my mouth watering for some more home made ham.
    How hard is it to brine a cut of pork?

8. miicah

miicah Member

Not hard, I think you just need nitrates and nitrites and some salt. I'd like to try it myself to get a less salty final product.

9. trop

trop Member

Anyone doing ham this year?

Ive been a bit busy doing other stuff so I only just picked up my meat this arvo. I normally get a bone in shoulder but my butcher had put a 5kg boned one aside for me so will be smoking that up tomorrow.

Aiming for ~12hr @ 90c cook starting at 8am.

10. Sumpy323

Sumpy323 New Member

Hey everyone.
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I’m going to be giving this a go for the first time on the weekend, and this is the only advice I can find on the internet.

I have a 6.5kg whole leg in the brine that was pumped beforehand. It will be classed as pickled pork.

After reading everyones tips here, I plan to cook it on my weber Family Q (yes, a gas bbq) this weekend.

I have bought the weber smoker box set, and have hickory chips to smoke it with.

This is my plan;

- soak chips overnight

- take the pork out of refrigeration till it gets to room temp.

- set up Q for indirect cooking, preheat and get the chips smoking.

- put the pork on the trivet and set it to cook with the oven temp at approximately 100c until the internal temp of the pork reaches 68c.

-I only plan to have it smoking for the first 1 - 1.5hrs after reading the above comments here.

-remove from oven an leave on rack till it cools then place it in a wet ham bag in the fridge overnight before cutting in half, eating half, and vacuum sealing half.

Question’s are...
    Does this sound okay?
    Do I need to change any of my plans?
    Have I missed a step?
    Etc.....?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!

11. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

No need to soak the chips. The only difference is that the water has to evaporate before it starts making smoke. I'm worried it might be a bit hotter than 100 deg, but see how you go.

12. miicah

miicah Member

With a cut that big, it's probably not great to leave it out to get to room temp. The inside will still be very cold while the outside is sweating and starting to go gross.

13. Sumpy323

Sumpy323 New Member

Fair point mate.
    I’ll leave the soaking bit out.

Not quite sure what you mean by “might be a bit hotter than 100 deg”.

14. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

With your set up you might struggle to keep the temps down and end up with roasted pork. When I've done corned beef in my smoker (ie beef ham) it gets pretty crispy on the outside and I'm pretty ok at keeping it between 90 and 95 deg. It won't ruin it, just won't be as ham like.

And there is probably not much difference in heat transfer between 4deg in 100 deg smoker vs 18 deg in a 100 deg smoker. When I do my pork shoulders I put them straight from the fridge into the smoker, doesn't take long for internal to hit 30 deg.

15. Sumpy323

Sumpy323 New Member

Cheers mate.
    I might not preheat the Q for as long, and maybe try to make it around 90c deg instead of 100.

16. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

take it out of the brine the night before and let it sit in the fridge uncovered allow it to develop it pectin so the smoke sticks to it better, well that is what i do for my bacon

Sumpy323 likes this.