Pickup put down

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Madmaximus, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

So I've got an old Fender Squire sitting around and I thought I'd put it back together. Only thing it was actually missing were some pickups so I grabbed a set of Tone Rider City Limits.

There are three wires, one red, one white and one lot of unshielded. From memory the old setup was one wire active (the color changes from pickup to pickup) one earth (?) and the unshielded one was soldered to the inside of the old pickups(?).

So the new pups have two wires and no way to solder anything inside... So I'm thinking maybe I ignore either the unshielded wire or the non--active wire? Or join the non actives?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

Pickups have 2 wires that are each end on the windings around the coil. There can be a third unshielded but generally it's when there's a metal pickup cover.
    If you only have 2, then one's hot that usually goes to the pickup selector switch and the other is ground which is usually soldered to the back of one of the pots.

3. OP
    OP
    Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

Sweet. I'll do a quick test leaving out the unshielded one and then solder it up.

TY

4. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

I'm confused by what you mean by the unshielded wire if the new pickups have only 2 wires. Do you mean it's soldered to the electronics of the guitar?

5. OP
    OP
    Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

When I say unshielded it is actually insulated all the way up with the other two wires, but when you strip back that isulation the other two wires are coated on their own, while the third one (unshielded) isn't.

The unshielded wire (usually they're a braided wire I think) used to go from the volume pot (with the earths) then up to (from memory) the inside of the back of the old pickup - which was a cheapy squire (I think) big magnet thing.

It runs along with the normal pickup wires (as I said) and one goes inside, to the back of each pickup.

I'll do some testing and figure out how important they are. I'll just join everything (except the "unshielded" wire) and do a tap test.

6. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

I think I know what you mean now. It sounds like you didn't de-solder the end of the old pickup wires from the pot's/switch and are just re-attaching the end of the wires together. You can do that but it's neater if you solder/desolder from the pots and switch using the new pickup wires but I'm guessing you don't have a soldering iron? If not, then yes you can leave the unshielded wire unatttached. You won't have any issues.

BTW, I'm building another strat for myself and was looking for a hotter SRV type sound for the pickups. I might give these a go. I'd like to know what you think of them

7. OP
    OP
    Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

I have a soldering iron (bout 5 and two stations) and I know how to solder. I'm just a lazy S.O.B. :) I may go back and redo everything later, but for now I'm enjoying the sound. Only thing I'm not sure of is the bridge pup is a little softer than the others and I used to the bridge bringing the oomph - it's still bright (brighter than the others), just not as loud as the other pups....I think I shoulda done the wiring properly...lol.

Anyhoo, as for SRV sounds I have no idea. My current setup includes a 10w Silvertone practice amp and a fender squire...lol. Thinking back on my old guitars though (American Standard, Strat Plus w/Lace sensors and a Gibson (Samick?) clone, and a bunch of others) I'd think this sound would be a better starting point than any of them.
    SRV is (I think) 50s pickups, tube screamer, wah and I remember reading, thick arsed strings and a high action...hardly a setup I can give a true opinion on with my gear :)

8. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

The specs on their website say the bridge pickup is wound hotter so it should be the same volume. The reason is there's less string vibration where that pickup is so it needs to compensate for that. Having said that, when I set pickup height, I set the bridge first and adjust the middle and neck so that the volume is the same across then all. The bridge pickup should be about 2-3mm below the string when you fret at the last fret.

9. OP
    OP
    Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

TY, I'm such a dumbass....lol. In my hurry to try out the new pups I forgot to set the height on the bridge one - it's flat to the deck :) I'll try to set aside some time to setup the whole guitar properly this weekend.